• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anti-Pretentious games

Turanil

First Post
I find that BRP Cthulhu, and other games of Chaosium are not pretentious.

Nisarg said:
Someone in another thread accused me of being "boring" for attacking White Wolf for being pretentious
I didn't read all the responses to your thread (so maybe it's not me). However I did write I found the internet article (not your post!) boring because it was really too long, and I absolutely couldn't fathom what it was speaking about. But then, one of your posts which was short and precise told me about this game in terms that I said to myself "Wow! this game must be a crap, I will never get a look at it!". (It was funny to read too.)

Caspian

First Post
Darkness said:
As far as I can tell, he wasn't talking about Vampire players in general. He was talking about: Such people aren't very common. I used to be a GM in a Vampire LARP and I can't say for sure that I ever met one.

(BTW, claiming a majority of Vampire players are like this would break EN World rules, in case it needs to be said.)

Huh, well I've met several pretensious RPers at university. One played a bunch of mage and DP9 stuff, and the other played Vampire and a bunch of WW stuff.

The thing in both cases is that they were decent, but the problem being was they took it too seriously. In the case of one it makes him a crazy awesome GM, in the case of the other it made him a pretensious fat jerk.

End thought I guess is, don't hate, but if you do, hate the person not the game.

Jonathan

Pbartender

First Post
Teflon Billy said:

"Whenever you are called upon to make any kind of roll, no matter why you're rolling, you will roll a D12 (a twelve-sided die). This is the only die you will ever need for Star Thugs."

Yup... After reading the preview .pdf, I'd have to agree with Billy, here. Any game that takes the poor, forgotten D12, and makes it only die you use in the game is certainly Anti-Pretentious.

Pbartender

First Post
eyebeams said:
I think you should try a definition that fits the actual English word properly...

The definition he's using, while not the only possible definition, is a valid one...

Pretentious on Webster.com:

1 : b : expressive of affected, unwarranted, or exaggerated importance, worth, or stature <pretentious language> <pretentious houses>

MonsterMash

First Post
Damn, Whizbang Dustyboots beat me to it!

Toon, Paranoia, and other humorous games are anti pretention

Generally its gamers that are pretentious rather than the game systems or settings (not without exceptions though).

S'mon

Legend
I'd say WEG's d6 Star Wars was a brilliant and un-pretentious game. The first edition (1987) version especially, 2nd edition suffered from drift.

I didn't find BRP Cthulu at all pretentious. It does exactly what it set out to, dryly & extremely efficiently. d20 Cthulu has some pretentious (but IMO enjoyable) WoD-style text in it.

reanjr

First Post
pogre said:
I view arguing about games much akin to arguing about music - it's endless and mostly counter-productive.

I don't really see it as counter-productive. Non-productive, to be sure, but I don't think anyone's enjoyment of their particular style of gaming suffers due to disagreement about other styles.

hong

WotC's bitch
VB.gif

Remove ads