D&D 5E Any interest in a PbP Out of the Abyss (players or DMs)?

Herobizkit

Adventurer
@Zansy No worries. You mentioned that Bards were out of your comfort zone and I was all "You don't even KNOW, maaaan! Bards rock on toast with Fluff AND Nutella!" ^_^

To further that sentiment, I was lauding the bard's many fantastic abilities to try and show you that you have literally nothing to be worried about, mechanically or otherwise, for choosing a Bard.

Also, while Half-Elf Bard might be considered a "powergame" concept, it's one I've been playing since, oh... 2nd edition, and it was anything BUT "powergame-y" til now. And to that I say, GOOD, we Bard players earned it. *lol*

Last edited:

Herobizkit

Adventurer
That said, I'm getting a super-feel for an underground-themed Halfling Ranger, borrowing (stealing) the Tunnelrat Fighter kit from 2e's Complete Book of Gnomes & Halflings:

This is a dirty-under-the fingernails halfling with an unusual amount of courage and a scrappy attitude toward dangerous and powerful foes. The cheerful, matter-of-fact, bloodthirsty attitude of these professionals usually comes as a great surprise to humans and others who think of all halflings as jolly farmer-types. The Tunnelrat specializes in underground search-and-destroy missions, especially in areas where constricted space or low ceilings would put larger warriors at a significant disadvantage.

Underdark Rambo. But short. :)

SunGold

First Post
Underdark Rambo. But short. :)

View attachment 70657

That sounds awesome. :D And I love those 2e race books.

Leaning rogue or barbarian for this game, I think. (I don't believe anyone else has mentioned an interest in playing either of those yet, but please correct me if that's not the case! I'd be happy to play something else.) I made a barbarian build to apply for another PbP game. I want to be in this game either way, but if I don't get into that one, I may use her here.

Zansy

Explorer
Also, while Half-Elf Bard might be considered a "powergame" concept, it's one I've been playing since, oh... 2nd edition, and it was anything BUT "powergame-y" til now. And to that I say, GOOD, we Bard players earned it. *lol*
Well, half-elf bards were always perfectly good for diplomacy, at least :) but as you said, now it does feel like a Powergame concept :p sinfully powerful.

Speaking of halves, and Elves. I think I'd like to play a character race that won't be entirely likeable - like a half-Orc, or a tiefling, or —Oh! If this is the Underdark, may I play a Drow?
Worst-case scenario I can anyways be a human, I can probably live with nonvariant if the feat is unallowed.

Uller

Adventurer
I'm getting the initial "campaign bible" typed up this weekend. I expect to have it done tonight or tomorrow evening. But one thing I will say to consider (I'm not forcing this on you...just a recommendation that you consider): A big part of the fun of the early part of the campaign is the horror and wonder that is the underdark. If it were me, I'd think about playing a character that is as alien to it as reasonably possible. Or one that has a good reason to want to leave it...at least for the time being. But do what's fun for you.

I expect there to be some PC turnover (no...I'm not a killer DM...haven't killed a PC yet in 5e). So there will be opportunities to swap PCs in and out.

It will be any PHB races/classes. Human variants are encouraged. Feats are allowed. Encumbrance and ration, water and ammo tracking will be a necessary part of the game early on (later it won't matter so much, I think and we'll drop that then). More in a bit hopefully. I'm in a hotel this weekend for my daughter's hockey tournament...so between games trying to get it done.

I haven't thought about how many players above 4 I will take. Probably something north of 4, south of 9.

A big part of the fun of the early part of the campaign is the horror and wonder that is the underdark. If it were me, I'd think about playing a character that is as alien to it as reasonably possible.
This.

I've read a good chunk of the adventure, and Uller has solid words of wisdom. If I were making a character, I'd definitely roll with a surface dweller.

Uller

Adventurer
This.

I've read a good chunk of the adventure, and Uller has solid words of wisdom. If I were making a character, I'd definitely roll with a surface dweller.

Thanks!

But just to be clear...I don't want to stifle your character concept either. If you have something that interests you and a good reason why your PC wants to escape the underdark (or might want to help others...or....lots of reasons...), then go for it. Don't post anything beyond vague concepts yet...we'll introduce PCs to other players in the way the campaign recommends.

Zansy

Explorer
I'm getting the initial "campaign bible" typed up this weekend. I expect to have it done tonight or tomorrow evening. But one thing I will say to consider (I'm not forcing this on you...just a recommendation that you consider): A big part of the fun of the early part of the campaign is the horror and wonder that is the underdark. If it were me, I'd think about playing a character that is as alien to it as reasonably possible. Or one that has a good reason to want to leave it...at least for the time being. But do what's fun for you.

[...]It will be any PHB races/classes. Human variants are encouraged. Feats are allowed. Encumbrance and ration, water and ammo tracking will be a necessary part of the game early on.

I haven't thought about how many players above 4 I will take. Probably something north of 4, south of 9.

This.

I trust this wisdom as well, however blindly. If my character winds up dying later on and I will be allowed to, I might still consider a Drow, but I'll honor the advice. I still want to be part of a race (or even ethnicity if I take human) that is somewhat disliked in the realms, any recommendations?

Well, [MENTION=6788194]Zansy[/MENTION], I'm a big proponent of people playing what jazzes them. If that's drow in an Underdark campaign, then that's drow. I won't speak for Uller, but my thought that a surface dweller would be spades of fun was intended for someone on the fence about what to play. The right players can get by with playing a burlap sack and still make for a diverting game.

Remove ads