• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Any news on playtesting?

Kynn

Adventurer
That would matter if WotC ever said they were doing "crowdsourcing". As a matter of fact, they haven't, and that's not what they're doing.

A good deal of the reporting on the original 5e announcement used the "crowdsourcing" language and I don't recall WotC objecting to that coverage. (E.g.)

Kynn

Adventurer
Rolls eyes.

WotC is not responsible for the words of people that don't work for them. At all.

Except that's the impression that marketing folks -- who DO work for WotC -- were trying to give to reporters:
NY Times article said:
The game “is a unique entertainment experience because it’s crafted by the players at the table, and every gaming session is different,” said Liz Schuh, who directs publishing and licensing for Dungeons & Dragons. “We want to take that idea of the players crafting that experience to the next level and say: ‘Help us craft the rules. Help us craft how this game is played.’ ”

If "help us craft the rules" just means "we're going to put out crappy surveys," then it doesn't mean a whole lot. Marketing hype, hurrah!

keterys

First Post
Well, they've been doing all those wacky polls and blog posts. I guess that's what they think "crowdsourcing the next edition of D&D" should look like at this point in time.

I don't think it's what most players think it should look like.
Well, wouldn't it make sense to ask what people want, before delivering it?

So, yeah, there are 2-5 things every single week for folks to read and respond to about the next edition. Go do that.

Once they get those answers, they'll know which rules and designs to implement so people can playtest something.

Iosue

Legend
Except that's the impression that marketing folks -- who DO work for WotC -- were trying to give to reporters:
That's a hell of a jump to crowdsourcing.

If "help us craft the rules" just means "we're going to put out crappy surveys," then it doesn't mean a whole lot. Marketing hype, hurrah!
It also means an open playtest, which they announced would begin in spring, which only began six days ago.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads