• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Any tips for speeding up the game? 4e is slowing me down!

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
For MapTool, I'd seriously consider learning how to do One-Click combat macros. I've got my character setup for every power he has, and it scales for levels and such. It's a lot of work, but if you figure it out, it's a huge leap in speed for 4e.

The rest of the speed of 4e will come with time. I love the speed of 4e, and as my group gets more comfortable with the system, it all flows more smoothly with every game.

Also, I love the "Initiative Rod" thing list above by Sphyre.

Hi robots, that's what we've done, one click combat macros- rolls everything, a combat round 4e at lower level is still as long as two or three rounds in 3e for us. We set them up in the first session, my players are all Tech people, they have evry power, skill roll, crit roll- whatever, speeches etc. Same as they had for 3e, that's my point we used maptools exactly the same for 3e as we do now for 4e- no changes. It's slower.

This isn't an estimation, this is a fact for us, we've played 3e for a year or so with maptools, and as I've said 4e for 18 sessions with maptools.

It takes longer to do stuff in 4e, rounds go slower, I can provide empirical proof if you like- campaign logs from 3e and 4e showing encounters faced, dates of sessions et al, time played.

Slower, much, for us.

But, as I say, better.

keterys

First Post
I've played 4e in maptools with two groups.

One banged through encounters lightning fast and finished a 4 hour module in under 3 hours. With brand new characters while still figuring out macros and maptool itself.

One slooooooowly agonizes over every thing and slowly churns through combats to maybe finish one in 90 minutes.

Very frustrating to know I'm the DM of both so it's not me :p

WizarDru

Adventurer
Oh and dailies, they kill me- in 20 sessions the Ranger has hit with his daily four times (we started counting), the Rogue three times, the Cleric twice and the Paladin... wait for it, never. That's right- never. Admittedly the player is very conservative, probably rolled it four or five times only, but she's never hit- we've no idea what it does. The Wizard we stopped counting for, she hits almost every time.

I'm curious...out of how many attempts to use them? And missing with a daily power for most classes still results in a benefit of some sort...just not nearly as good as one when you succeed. My fighter's daily power pulled the party's fat out of the fire more than once, turning a possible TPK in KOTS into a victory. My experience so far has been that folks can really hoard that daily, sometimes far more than they should. :)

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
This isn't an estimation, this is a fact for us, we've played 3e for a year or so with maptools, and as I've said 4e for 18 sessions with maptools.

It takes longer to do stuff in 4e, rounds go slower, I can provide empirical proof if you like- campaign logs from 3e and 4e showing encounters faced, dates of sessions et al, time played.

Slower, much, for us.

But, as I say, better.

Well, I'm pleased that you're finding it better, obviously, but I am really confused as to why it's taking longer with 4e. Are players taking longer to decide which of their powers to use before rolling, compared to (for example) the 3e's fighter call of "I attack, I hit, 40 damage, next player"?

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
I'm curious...out of how many attempts to use them? And missing with a daily power for most classes still results in a benefit of some sort...just not nearly as good as one when you succeed. My fighter's daily power pulled the party's fat out of the fire more than once, turning a possible TPK in KOTS into a victory. My experience so far has been that folks can really hoard that daily, sometimes far more than they should. :)

We've been playing in game for approx ten days- so that's ten possible dailies, not a lot I know, Cleric= Avenging Flame, which when it misses does normal weapon damage, meh; Paladin= Paladin's Judgement, and the Healing Surge always comes in handy; Ranger= Jaws of the Wolf, half damage which was usually a ton, until he stopped playing the Ranger with Melee weapons, i.e. didn't draw his Scimitar for 6-7 sessions; Rogue= Trick Strike, a miss is a miss; Wizard= Flaming Sphere, which hits almost every time, as does Acid Arrow.

I think the dailies thing is something we became conscious of when people failed to hit repeatedly, and with their miss (Cleric) did something like 5 or 6 points of damage (more than once), or just allowed a Healing Surge (Paladin). As I say the players just seem to miss a lot with their dailies, although Avenging Flame nearly did for my recurring villain in the very first encounter. Dailies have gained a little bit of a stigma, except for the wizard who has hit I'd say nine out of ten, and with his Flaming Sphere incinerated dozens of minions to date. The Ranger seemed to hit a lot when he was using his melee weapons with Jaws of the Wolf, and do a tremedous amount of damage. The Paladin just sulks- she's still not hit with hers, although she uses it all the time- she's desperate to break her duck.

Well, I'm pleased that you're finding it better, obviously, but I am really confused as to why it's taking longer with 4e. Are players taking longer to decide which of their powers to use before rolling, compared to (for example) the 3e's fighter call of "I attack, I hit, 40 damage, next player"?

Yeah that's about it Tallarn, although we have no Fighter, see previous post for a fairly true reflection of one rounds play in 3e and 4e for my gang. Part of the problem is in 3e the action call for the characters was very simplified (and therefore less interesting), in 4e with a constantly changing board (it's a board game on MapTools) then the players become very conscious of what they're doing, movement is often counted out square by square, almost like a chess move even down to players stating I haven't taken my hand of the piece yet, meaning they go back to their starting square at any second. It's not that the players are dumb, many of them work out there play several moves in advance but are then thwarted by others actions (including the monsters). Other players are wont to offer suggestions, looking for combat advantage etc. this leads to hesitation, even players asking for suggestions. The tactical side of 4e has lead to a more measured approach, knowing that bonuses can be gained (like combat advantage) then the object becomes to provide the Rogue with the option every round, to leave the way open for the Wizards scorching blast. They are very conscious of this at times because the Paladin and Cleric as Defenders are taking hits and dealing much less damage (to monsters with up to ten times the HP they had in 3e), therefore it makes sense to present the Strikers (including Wizard) who do all of the chunky damage with the best opportunities.

If there's something we're missing then feel free to advise, more choices for my lot means more to be considered, and more time taken.

Remove ads