Any Two-Handed Weapon feats or class ability

lud

Explorer
Hi,

Trying to help a player with long term feat selection, and I can't find any feat related to two-handed weapons that are not polearms. (Lot's of two-weapons fighting ones though)

The character is a dwarf fighter with a greataxe (doesn't own a shield, looks down on people hiding behind one...)

The basic list I got up to now is just standard weapon feats

1. Axe focus(RoS) : +1 attk
2. Weapon Specialization : +2 dam
3. Greater Weapon Focus : +1 attk
4. Greater Weapon Specialization : +2 dam
5. Melee Weapon Mastery: +2 att, +2 dam
6. Power Attack : each +1 attk -> +2 dam
7. Earth Sense (RoS): Pre-Req
8. Earth Adept (RoS): +1 dam
9. Earth Master (RoS): + 1 attk
10. Weapon Supremacy...

Next step is to go in defence feats, dodge, armor spec... but that doesn't sit well with the character way of thinking... "if I kill it first why do I need defence?"

Any suggestion more related to the greataxe attack and damage bonus...

Or maybe a prestige class that would match with this character?
(That does not require a level in barbarian...)

Thanks!

Last edited:

Darth Vyce

First Post
Here are some more things to increase damage output:

Feats:
  • Combat Brute
  • Melee Weapon Mastery
  • Leap Attack

Base Class/Prestige Class
  • Frenzied Berserker (crappy thing is that this would require a lvl of brb)
  • Kensai Fighter Variant(Dragon)
  • Exotic Weapon Master
Well thats my 2cp. Hope that helps.

Ed Gentry

First Post
Consider this a second for leap attack. This, combined with power attack and some ranks in jump, and he'll be doing incredible damage on a charge.

lud

Explorer
Thanks, I missed combat brute! It's the same bonus as Improved Power Attack with only the -5 minimum limitation. Perfect.

For some strange reason I forgot to type melee weapon mastery in the list...I'll edit...

The character is Neutral Good... so the Kensai doesn't fit...but it was a nice suggestion.

Leap Attack is also nice...only problem is the armor check penalty of heavier armor...

The stunts from the Exotic Weapon Master are like the rest of the feat system more oriented toward two weapons or single weapons...

I'll keep looking...thanks again

Victim

First Post
Exotic Weapon Master is used for the Uncanny Blow ability to get 2x STR bonus to damage instead of 1.5x when using a one handed exotic weapon in two hands. Basically, you use a war axe instead of a Great Axe, suffer a slight penalty in base damage, and then get a bigger STR bonus to damage. At higher levels, that bonus easily makes up for using a weaker die.

lud said:
Leap Attack is also nice...only problem is the armor check penalty of heavier armor...

But at the levels you're talking about, making the check won't be a problem. Strength alone will negate most of the penalty and you don't have to worry about a shield penalty so in effect the heavy armour is only negating a couple ranks of Jump.

Plus, he's a fighter so his skill point selection isn't very good. But Jump is on the list. ;)

Darth Vyce

First Post
lud said:
The character is Neutral Good... so the Kensai doesn't fit...but it was a nice suggestion.
Actually NG works fine with the Kensai variant in Dragon 310. Here is a quick sample build combining the Kensai and Exotic Weapon Master:

Martial Monk 2/Kensai Fighter Variant 15/Exotic Weapon Master 3

Feat Suggestions
  • Power Attack
  • Imp Sunder
  • Combat Brute
  • Wpn Focus[Dwarven Waraxe]
  • Wpn Spec[Dwarven Waraxe]
  • Melee Wpn Mastery
  • Leap Attack
  • Powerful Charge
  • Gtr Powerful Charge
  • Rain of Blows [kensai ability, replaces a fighter bonus feat]
  • Improved Buckler Defense [this way you can use a shield while fighting with a 2-handed wpn]
  • Stunning Fist

Exotic Weapon Master Abilities
  • Show Off
  • Stunning Blow
  • Uncanny Blow

Attack Bonus/Damage Bonus*
  • +6 Attack
  • +10 Damage
* These numbers are from feats/class abilities only. Bonuses only apply to dwarven waraxe.

This will leave you with around 7-9 additional feat choices. The Kensai variant only grants light armor proficiency so if possible purchase a mithril breastplate along with a buckler and his AC should be decent. Also, I would max out intimidate and jump. Jump because of his Leap Attack feat and intimidate so that he has some choices outside of combat. Last but not least he will be able to stun foes with his melee attacks. :) It should be awesome to use against casters!

Well thats my 2cp. Cheers.

moritheil

First Post
Personally, I'd look at classes like Occult Slayer or Vigilante. The former improves his damage against mages (which constitute a huge chunk of your enemies at higher levels) and the latter allows him to shrug off a blow, which goes well with his macho "who needs shields" attitude. :D

Remove ads