D&D 5E Anyone else think the Bard concept is just silly?

mrpopstar

Sparkly Dude
I'm still not sure how we got from, 'Jack of All Trades' dabbler in magic to 9th level spell access - and a pick-of-the-best from other class spell lists to boot! :confused:
If it were up to me, bards would only be able to select spells from limited schools when learning the arcane secrets of other classes.

I don't think the author found the overall concept of music as powerful an issue so much as the absurdity of someone doing so in the middle of combat. The Barbarian swings his trusty Great Axe, the cleric banishes the evil spirits with his glowing holy symbol, the paladin smites the demon with his holy sword, and the bard cast lightning bolt presumably by hitting a power chord on a mandolin. One of these things is not like the others.
When you put it that way, it actually sounds kind of awesome. I wonder if Rifts has a class for that.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I'm still not sure how we got from, 'Jack of All Trades' dabbler in magic to 9th level spell access - and a pick-of-the-best from other class spell lists to boot! :confused:

I'm pretty sure the pick spells from other lists abilities is referring to the dabbler aspect.

I did think it was a little odd seeing them have full spell casting, but I think it fits them in 5e.

S'mon

Legend
5e full-caster Bard works great for Gandalf and many literary 'wizard' types. I emphasise the loremastery & oratory, not so much the musical instruments.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Wow. You got it right. I very much love 5e. That is not in question. However, scarcity can make for some excitement. When everyone has a full complement of spells their use and unavailability change things.

I recall playing AD&D (1st) with a wizard in the party. He was out of spells and was cornered by a wounded Minotaur. He did what he had to do: he unsheathed a +2+3 vs. LMG dagger and rolled well! He stuck that beast for the last of his hit points. Exciting given his THACO was low (he was a Magic-User!) and how critical it was for him to do so. Now? Blast him with another 3d10 firebolt. Less drama!

But then, everyone was nerfed compared to 5e....

But with bards, it is about imagery for me. If the bard can be a primary caster, I am less interested in everything else. When they can literally lift spells from other lists, their subtlety and different-ness is gone for me.

It is just preference but tons of flashy spells does not create the imagery of bard (for me). Some people like them and I am great with that.

For me they are like monks or druids. I am glad there are some people that like them. Just not generally me.

I think the full caster status is part, very indirectly, of why I'm less into the 5e Bard than the 4e and earlier Bards. Full caster means less room for unique capabilities. Can't have full songs, plus crazy Lore, plus social status mechanics (every culture respects a Bard!), etc when you also have full casting.

But, with spells like unearthly chorus, perhaps we can get some of that back within the spell list.

Also, IMO, Bards are full casters BC half casters don't get cantrips, and they wanted Bards to get cantrips without challenging their general third/half/full caster paradigm.

76512390ag12

First Post
I think bards are silly. So I won't play one. But i have played alongside them and would not have banned them. But something about them does not feel right to me.
Which is my problem.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

mrpopstar

Sparkly Dude
I think the full caster status is part, very indirectly, of why I'm less into the 5e Bard than the 4e and earlier Bards. Full caster means less room for unique capabilities. Can't have full songs, plus crazy Lore, plus social status mechanics (every culture respects a Bard!), etc when you also have full casting.

But, with spells like unearthly chorus, perhaps we can get some of that back within the spell list.

Also, IMO, Bards are full casters BC half casters don't get cantrips, and they wanted Bards to get cantrips without challenging their general third/half/full caster paradigm.
Part of me is quite comfortable with the idea of bards not having cantrips (if they were reduced to less-than-full caster), and another part of me feels like the whole magical dabbler thing could have been the feature that broke the mold (instead of lifting from other lists, they would have cantrips).

hejtmane

Explorer
You're confusing the modern military band with the what happened in history/fiction of the late middle ages. The piper/bugler/drummer were in the fray

Drummers were standing in the fray in the revolutionary war they were used to give battlefield commands. Only thing missing is they did not dance around throwing fairy darts :p

Remove ads