• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anyone playing Left 4 Dead?

Woas

First Post
Any ENers playing Left 4 Dead? I'm having a complete blast with it. With Fallout 3 being another complete disappointment for me after a string of bad game purchases, Left 4 Dead is a great pick me up! My Steam name is Gray Mauser.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Any ENers playing Left 4 Dead? I'm having a complete blast with it. With Fallout 3 being another complete disappointment for me after a string of bad game purchases, Left 4 Dead is a great pick me up! My Steam name is Gray Mauser.
Is it okay w/o multiplayer or not? And does the multiplayer have to be over the net or on the same box?

Valve does good work, so I'm glad its doing well. Though I'll have to disagree w/ you about Fallout.

Woas

First Post
Single player is very limited. Basically you are running around with 3 bots. Nice as a tutorial but the real meat of the game is multiplayer. There are two multiplayer modes: Coop and Versus. In Coop you play the single player missions but instead of 3 other bots, they are other humans. In Versus there are 4 humans playing the humans, and 4 humans playing as the zombies!

I'm not sure 100% sure what you mean about the net/same box... If you mean for the Xbox version of the game, then both are options and you can have friends playing on one xbox with split screen and also be playing over xbox live.
For computer there is an options for local or dedicated server. Not sure exactly what the difference is...

I fully support the PC version, it feels like that was the way the game was meant to be played... a friend of mine has the Xbox version and because of the controls, it definitely is lacking some of the sleekness of the PC.

Thanee

First Post
Two questions. :)

I generally like cooperative multiplayer games... does it work well in that regard (it's kinda the point of it, but still :))?

Also, why did you feel disappointed with Fallout 3 (and did you like Oblivion or not)?

Bye
Thanee

Woas

First Post
@Thanee

Yes, Co-op is great! There are 4 difficulty setting, Easy - Normal - Advanced - Expert (actually there is a fifth, but it's special and called Versus and used only in the versus game mode).

If you want a pick me up and just KILL ZOMBIES to let off steam Normal and Easy are a great way to relax (for me at least) and just do crazy stuff and not be punished (aka: be killed) for having fun and being silly.

With a group of players focusing and using their mics/trying to communicate, Advanced will be a fun challenge but beatable. It's the difficulty I play most when I do coop to hone my skills further.

Expert... well another thing with the game is friendly fire is a pretty common occurrence since the survivors (the humans) are often bunched up shooting zombies at close range around each other. You really shouldn't be doing it if you can avoid it obviously and on expert friendly fire does full weapon damage to team mates. On the other difficulties, friendly fire only does a fraction of normal weapon damage to fellow survivors.
So Expert is HARD. But fun! You really need to be on your A Game to play Expert and have some good friends to play with. I have yet to beat a full mission on Expert. Each mission is a series of 'acts' or 'scenes' I suppose you could call them and each one has 5 of them, the last being a 'finale'.

As for Fallout 3? It was just disappointment for me... I guess we can keep it at that cause if you want me to really get into it here, I think you'll find my reasons are purely my own opinion/taste and may not make any coherent sense to others who do/did genuinely enjoy the game.

I never got a chance to play Oblivion. When it was released my computer was much to old/slow to run it, and by the time I did get a new computer that could reasonably handle it, Oblivion was old hat... :blush:

Arnwyn

First Post
I'm not sure 100% sure what you mean about the net/same box... If you mean for the Xbox version of the game, then both are options and you can have friends playing on one xbox with split screen and also be playing over xbox live.
Do you know if it's 2-player split screen or 4-player split screen on the Xbox?

Thanee

First Post
Sounds like fun. :D

Are the missions basically shoot 'em up in various iterations, or is there anything else involved? :)

Bye
Thanee

Woas

First Post
@Thanee

You mean like puzzle solving or resource management?

Its pretty much shoot 'em up. Some parts that aren't pure shoot 'em up:

You are given a pretty good load of ammo. If you are careful with it and don't unload a whole clip into one zombie it will last you. There are ammo 'depots' put randomly through each map, sometimes hidden. They are different each game along with everything else which is another great part of the game. Even though right now, there are only 4 Coop and 2 Versus maps (fan made maps/mods will be coming, just a matter of time), the zombies and extra gear (health packs, extra ammo, new guns) are always in new places, and sometimes nowhere at all because the game keeps track of how good you are doing. If you are doing real good it'll start to make health packs and ammo rarer. If you are doing poorly, health packs could be very plentiful. So with that, there is some small part of resource management. You never know if the next room will actually have ammo or health so you have to do your best to save it (use it, but don't abuse it :lol:)

Also there are parts of the missions that are little mini scenarios. For example you might get to a room with an emergency fire exit. You need to go through it but it'll sound the fire alarm, calling in a big wave of zombies. Sometimes I see groups open the fire door, find a small room and just wait out the storm and other times I see groups throw that fire door open and keep running, trying to avoid the wave of zombies.

Thanee

First Post
So it's basically "death match" just with a group vs. the computer?

I was thinking of something like... some of the group have to hold up the attackers, while others need to get through some kind of obstacle (i.e. move away some bulky stuff to open a door to retreat through). Stuff like that, which would seem very fitting for a game like this. :)

Bye
Thanee

Remove ads