Anyone want to hazard a guess as to what a Martial Controller would look like?

Green Knight

First Post
Personally, I like the idea of there being twelve classes in the PHB, with every three classes falling under one role, and each class representing a different power source. To illustrate what I mean, I'd like the class list to appear something like this (With the classes which may end up filling those roles).

Arcane Defender (Swordmage)
Divine Defender (Paladin)
Martial Defender (Fighter)

Arcane Striker (Warlock)
Divine Striker (Ranger)
Martial Striker (Rogue)

Arcane Leader (Bard)
Divine Leader (Cleric)
Martial Leader (Warlord)

Arcane Controller (Wizard)
Divine Controller (Druid)
Martial Controller

However, I can't wrap my head around the idea of a Martial Controller. I'm trying to figure out how a character can fulfill a similar role as a Wizard without actually using magic. So anyone want to guess how this could possibly be done? How a Martial character can possibly take on the role of a Controller in 4E?

Last edited:

Green Knight

First Post
Charwoman Gene said:
Master of Nets?
Super tripmonkey?

Well, at least it isn't a failure of imagination on my part, as I'm not the only one who can't think of a damn thing. ;)

Your Arcane Defender is a Swordmage.

Just looked it up on the front page. To bad it's not coming out in the starting PHB. It sounds like fun.

Last edited:

szilard

First Post
Martial Controller?

I'd go with Monk - focus on tripping, grappling, disarming, stunning, and such. Replace Flurry of Blows with an area of effect attack reminiscent of Whirlwind Attack. Make threatened squares difficult terrain or something. Add in some movement boosts and range isn't much of an issue for battlefield control.

-Stuart

Stormtalon

First Post
Could be Barbarians -- give them sweeping Area attacks with two-handed weapons (affects all enemies [and allies] within weapon reach of you), speed to intercept and control enemy movement, fear-based powers generated by battle cries, and later on (Paragon to Epic levels) massive physical blows that can rend asunder the land itself and slow/shake/knock prone those caught in the effect.

Lord Fyre

First Post
szilard said:
Martial Controller?

I'd go with Monk - focus on tripping, grappling, disarming, stunning, and such. Replace Flurry of Blows with an area of effect attack reminiscent of Whirlwind Attack. Make threatened squares difficult terrain or something. Add in some movement boosts and range isn't much of an issue for battlefield control.

-Stuart

I agree. The Monk would be the way to go for a "Martial Controller"

(People have joked on these boards that "Chuck Norris" or "Jackie Chan" would be the Martial Controller, . . . they may be on to something.)

Cadfan

First Post
I don't think you can make a martial controller.

I think you could make a martial character with some controller-ish aspects. But I don't think a dedicated martial controller is possible. A martial character can, by his nature, affect enemies within his reach, or range with a ranged weapon. Controlling enemies within one's reach is usually a defender task, and in any case is a small about of "controllering" compared to a magical character who can control enemies all over the place. And affecting enemies with ranged weapons doesn't leave a lot of room for controller like powers.

I'm sure there will be martial characters who have bits of controller in them. But I doubt there will be any fully dedicated martial controllers.

Regarding the monk- stunning an enemy, tripping an enemy, grappling an enemy, and disarming an enemy are all options that would make a GREAT defender. A stunned, tripped, grappled and disarmed foe isn't moving past the monk to attack the wizard any time soon.

Lord Fyre said:
I agree. The Monk would be the way to go for a "Martial Controller"

(People have joked on these boards that "Chuck Norris" or "Jackie Chan" would be the Martial Controller, . . . they may be on to something.)
I think he is still more of a Striker, since his attacks will usually focus on a single enemy. he won't deal massive amount of damage, but he will still seriously harm the enemy.

I might be wrong, though. :)

Dragonblade

Adventurer
I think it should be an Archer class. With cool Bo9S style abilities with names like Rain of Arrows where you can put so many arrows in the air it becomes an area effect attack akin to a fireball.

Plus all sorts of special manuevers and trick arrows. For example, a ranged grapple/pin attack by stapling the enemy to a tree or something. Arrows that can explode for various effects. At higher levels be able to give arrows a slaying effect and so on.

That's what I'd like to see.

(Hong's D&D page inspired me :) )

Animus

Explorer
Dragonblade said:
I think it should be an Archer class. With cool Bo9S style abilities with names like Rain of Arrows where you can put so many arrows in the air it becomes an area effect attack akin to a fireball.

Plus all sorts of special manuevers and trick arrows. For example, a ranged grapple/pin attack by stapling the enemy to a tree or something. Arrows that can explode for various effects. At higher levels be able to give arrows a slaying effect and so on.

That's what I'd like to see.

(Hong's D&D page inspired me :) )

I was thinking the same thing reading Iron Heroes.

Iron Heroes, Bo9S. Same author. 4e developer. I think we're on to something.

Remove ads