• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Arabesu's Eyes of the Lich Queen, w/ Boons! - OOC

renau1g

First Post
The ironic part is that Fenwick was concerned about the number of enemies as he only saw one, but heard (assumption) his friends getting hurt... tactically unsound as it was he was concerned we're all surrounded. Hopefully that's not the case, if so things will be much more interesting ;)

Arabesu

Neat. The amount of chatter in this thread is somehow reassuring. It tells me that you guys are paying attention/having an OK time.

Arabesu

[sblock=Jack of Tales ONLY!]I was looking over your character and I realized there was a problem. The strength bonus from you gauntlet and the strength bonus from druidic shapeshifting don't stack since they are both enhancement bonuses; I guess I figured that you realized that and just wanted the same strength whether shapeshifting or not. Also, you have undercosted the +4 bonus to strength from your boon; it should be 16k not 8k. Between the two problems, we will need to redo your boon. For example you could get +2 to dex and have the 4k for something else or could get a +2 deflection instead.

I figured all this out because I noticed that you have the same attack modifier as an optimized fighter when shifting. That seemed strong for a full caster without any buffing spells cast, and when I went back and looked over you character sheet I found the problem. I have a good feel for benchmarks as to what should be expected for your level, and a shapeshifting druid should have an attack modifier around 1.5 to 1.7 time hit-dice, whereas you were 2.0 times hit dice.[/sblock]

Vertexx69

First Post
Is this campaign set on Xen'drik?

Is this lizardman wearing armor? Its wielding a bow so its not using a shield, And if it had Full concealment (50%) then Hightower wouldn't be able to target it with a melee attack at all. (just wondering how my 22 missed) :]

If its wearing hide or better then its speed is reduced to the same as mine (and I can actually catch it) otherwise I'll have to do something else since he can't charge across difficult terrain.

Arabesu

Lightly armored, but dextrous, buckler, small sized and with some natural.

Also, jungle and cover combined (+6) to make it hard to hit him with ranged attacks or with reach-weapons when he is behind cover.

Normally they move 30; you don't know this of course, but his half speed means he can move 15/round through the jungle terrain. With a double move, you can be almost right on top of him, i.e. 10 feet away, which means that its pretty much over for him, unless he has tumble, he wouldn't even be able to withdraw without provoking AoO.

None of you asked for knowledge nature or knowledge local checks to evaluate their capabilities so I have only given the obvious details.

Jungle, not in Xendrick, so that should limit the choices somewhat. After this encounter and a follow up encounter we will flashback to why you are where you are and what your mission entails.

I wanted to jump right into a fight, 1) to let you try-on the PCs to see if there is anything that just doesn't work, where your weakness are etc. 2) to give everybody a chance to post, letting me know how fast people respond, and 3) to provide a framework for setting up your out of combat encounters: This way I won't really have to rail-road you. You know that eventually you have to go from a to b, HOW you get from a to b is all your guys' game.

Last edited:

renau1g

First Post
Arabesu said:
None of you asked for knowledge nature or knowledge local checks to evaluate their capabilities so I have only given the obvious details.

Curse my lack of knowledge!

BTW I am enjoying it so far... it's frustrating in the jungle with concealment, etc., but it's much more interesting than a 10 x 10' room, and the group seems to be an interesting collection of individuals, only thing we could benefit from is some improved teamwork.. ;)

Jack of Tales

First Post
I considered making a knowledge check but..*shrug* They're scaly things with bows. Didn't think I'd need to know much more. But now that you mention it, it'd be nice to know what kind of groups they gather in. Should I make that check here or in IC thread?

Teamwork? What you don't think running in different directions and uncoordinating against a surprise attack has no teamwork in it? Pfft.. Okay so maybe we need some work. Trent and Rosa seemed to be doing fine with support though! I didn't want to waste any of my spells this early on.

Arabesu

Jack, edit your most recent action over in the IC thread to include a knowledge check. Also, since all you did was basically move, you get a small circumstance bonus to the check since you can take the time (i.e. a standard action) to really think, consider, evaluate, and assess the capabilities of the creatures. that house rule will go for the rest of the campaign: take a standard to do your knowledge check and you get a small bonus, otherwise its a free action.

Last edited:

moritheil

First Post
Hmm . . .

I just looked at my sheet to see what my Knowledge (local) modifier is, and it says: 1 rank + 3 int. But I have 19 int. Also, other int-based skills seem to have used 3 for some reason. Search lists +10 (7 ranks 3 int).

It looks like some of my skill mods should be a little higher than they are listed. :\

Edit: fixed.

Last edited:

Remove ads