D&D 5E Arcane Rules- What is your favorite "hidden" rule in 5e?

Mercule

Adventurer
I have to wonder about horror... did they just decide, "Let's throw charisma a bone?"
I like this one. I'm sure some of it was just throwing Charisma a bone, but I think it makes some sense, too.

Wisdom covers things like willpower. To quote from Werewolf: The Apocalypse, a high willpower/wisdom means "Nerves of steel or brains of jello." Intelligence tells you that the dragon can eat you. Wisdom allows you to ignore the urine running down your leg and at least try to not bolt like food.

Charisma is force of personality and sense of self. You may not be able to stop yourself from running from Cthulhu, but you can avoid being permanently scarred by it. Repeat after me, "I know who I am. I know who I am. I know who I am."

Mercule

Adventurer
Elves have spirits, and cannot be resurrected
This was one of my favorite in 1E. It's probably why I ended up as a fan of elves -- it just prompted so many questions about why elves would be different on that level.

I'm a fan of some of these sorts of hidden rules. I don't want major rules (surprise, say) being arcane, but some hidden flavor is awesome. I haven't found anything in 5E, yet, that really qualifies.

delericho

Legend
At the end of my first substantive post trying to discuss this with you-
"Of course, there are many ways to try and minimize this, and I don't think anyone would argue that they want a confusing and contradictory set of rules; but if you feel like arguing against the existence of "little-known" rules, or dislike the terms, just change it to "cool" rules. Good?"

If you write an extensive post disagreeing with me, you have to expect me to disagree back, that last sentence notwithstanding.

I will duly note your opinion. Fair enough?

Fair enough.

Remove ads