D&D General Are all the freebies worth it when taking them means my Pc is a escaped slave that's wanted dead or alive and has a price of 58,290 Gold on his head?

JMISBEST

Explorer
Unless there’s something I’m missing is there any mechanical/table reason why your character has all this stuff or is it just the justification of ‘i got it in my backstoryTM’?

You could start with functionally exactly the same backstory of ‘was a slave, killed their owner and took some of their stuff, is now a wanted criminal dead or alive, reward 200g’ and only ended up stealing enough for the standard fighter’s gear/starting money, maybe a free horse that you rode away on (although just as likely you might have had to ditch it to prevent being identified from it and selling it is where you got your starter money)

But I’m not at your table I don’t know the specific circumstances, are the other players getting equal amount of loot from their backstories? I’m not saying what you want from your backstory is wrong but to me it feels unnecessarily excessive.
To be honest I would guess that the only reason The GM made it possible to start with so much stuff is that he believed that it was impossible to fairly roll the rolls needed to start with so much stuff, but I proved him wrong

It all depends on how the DM handles it, and how your fellow players feel about it.

If there are powerful bounty hunters who can unerringly track you and show up every game then its probably not worth it.

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
To be honest I would guess that the only reason The GM made it possible to start with so much stuff is that he believed that it was impossible to fairly roll the rolls needed to start with so much stuff, but I proved him wrong
I’d probably try to consider what an escaped slave would actually prioritise when escaping, you’ve got alot of excess there that’d be impractical for escaping, I’d consider this equipment as an alternative to your standard class gear, with that in mind, The things I’d keep/start the game with:
600g
2 weeks of high quality food/rations
The riding horse
2 sets of clothes
1 tent
1 bedroll
1 chainmail
1 shortbow + quiver of 30 arrows
1 shield
1 +1 dagger
4 potions of healing
40g worth of one of either: the saffron, the tobacco or bottles of alcohol if appropriate to the character’s interests.
1 martial weapon (purchased)
1 adventurer’s/explorer’s/ect pack (purchased)

And play down the current bounty/desire of people to hunt you down but keep it as a story thread for the DM to play with.

JMISBEST

Explorer
I’d probably try to consider what an escaped slave would actually prioritise when escaping, you’ve got alot of excess there that’d be impractical for escaping, I’d consider this equipment as an alternative to your standard class gear, with that in mind, The things I’d keep/start the game with:
600g
2 weeks of high quality food/rations
The riding horse
2 sets of clothes
1 tent
1 bedroll
1 chainmail
1 shortbow + quiver of 30 arrows
1 shield
1 +1 dagger
4 potions of healing
40g worth of one of either: the saffron, the tobacco or bottles of alcohol if appropriate to the character’s interests.
1 martial weapon (purchased)
1 adventurer’s/explorer’s/ect pack (purchased)

And play down the current bounty/desire of people to hunt you down but keep it as a story thread for the DM to play with.
Thanks. Also 3 minutes ago I got a text from The GM confirming my suspicions that the only reason that his tables could result in this kind of thing is that he thought it would never happen

Another thing. 1 of The Player is A Cavalier that's the 4th child of A Senior Earl and is a very distant relation of the royal family, the Pcs dad's 58th in line to the throne and the Pcs 62nd in line to the throne

What's more The king owes The Senior Earl whose the father of 1 of The Pcs a massive favor. Maybe they should try and call it in?, after all if it works my escaped slave Pc would get A Royal Pardon

A 58k bounty, in my games, would mean that every person with any type of combat prowess would be out hunting your escaped slave. So if every city, town, and village guardsman, every adventuring party, every mercenary is going to be hunting you, go for it.

Just seems a ridiculous way to start a game to me.

JMISBEST

Explorer
A 58k bounty, in my games, would mean that every person with any type of combat prowess would be out hunting your escaped slave. So if every city, town, and village guardsman, every adventuring party, every mercenary is going to be hunting you, go for it.

Just seems a ridiculous way to start a game to me.
Don't forget that the only reason that The tables The GM created made that kind of thing possible is that The GM truly believed it would never happen, which means he truly believed that he'd never have to worry about it

JMISBEST

Explorer
Unless there’s something I’m missing is there any mechanical/table reason why your character has all this stuff or is it just the justification of ‘i got it in my backstoryTM’?

You could start with functionally exactly the same backstory of ‘was a slave, killed their owner and took some of their stuff, is now a wanted criminal dead or alive, reward 200g’ and only ended up stealing enough for the standard fighter’s gear/starting money, maybe a free horse that you rode away on (although just as likely you might have had to ditch it to prevent being identified from it and selling it is where you got your starter money)

But I’m not at your table I don’t know the specific circumstances, are the other players getting equal amount of loot from their backstories? I’m not saying what you want from your backstory is wrong but to me it feels unnecessarily excessive.
The justification is that The GM made that kind of thing possible because The GM truly believed it would never happen, which means he truly believed that he'd never have to worry about it

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
What's more The king owes The Senior Earl whose the father of 1 of The Pcs a massive favor. Maybe they should try and call it in?, after all if it works my escaped slave Pc would get A Royal Pardon
I’d keep sitting on that favour for when they/the group really needs it, being wanted is an interesting thread to play with just so long as they aren’t too wanted, using it on your character seems like a waste of both the favour and the story thread.

Don't forget that the only reason that The tables The GM created made that kind of thing possible is that The GM truly believed it would never happen, which means he truly believed that he'd never have to worry about it
This indicates so warnings to me. But I know you and I play completely different games. So to answer your original question, I would not take the background you rolled up. I would do another and hope to find something more in line with my sensibilities. But you need to play to your sensibilities.

Remove ads