Pathfinder 1E Are people still playing Pathfinder 1e?

Thrawn007

Reformed grognard
I like a higher band, I just think PF2 is too tight. I am curious what proficiency without level does tot he banding. I might enjoy it more.

Also, enemies were very different in 3E. There where reasons (not always good ones) that something was at X CR. Some of those fights could be tackled by good strategy because of that variety. In PF2 the math is all the same so your hard hitting abilities are sidelined and chances of scoring critical hits vastly reduced. It just simply becomes impossible to face anything in the Extreme+ range.
I used to be in this camp. However, more often than not, I find that "puching above your weight" is too often the result of op gimmicky builds, metagaming, or exploiting rules issues. In the current campaign I'm in (Way of the Wicked), we are constantly taking on challenges way above our level and making it look easy. It's mostly players with decades of experience who know how to squeeze every advantage out of the rules. I've grown to actually resent that play style.

With PF2, I like the rails. I also quickly finding how the illusion of punching way above your weight can be more exciting than actually doing so through exploits. The versatile stat blocks allow surprises and counter metagaming as well.

Thrawn007

Reformed grognard
I'm not sold you can't use it for those; what you can't do easily is have sandboxes that aren't, to some extent, partitioned.

What I mean by that is that you have to have a way for the PCs to tell that they're getting into an area that has potential opposition in it too far ahead of them, and boxes opponents in about a 7 level range.
This is the philosophy in Kingmaker. The are 20 zones with levels attached and a whole section about how to let characters know they might be in over their head.

glass

(he, him)
If I was going to make my own fantasy heartbreaker it would take these notes;
  • PF1 customizable race, traits, classes, multiclassing, archetypes, prestige classing. Crit threat ranges and damage multipliers. Strategic play. Alignment mechanics.
  • 4E bloodied mechanics, healing surge (jettison that name tho) pacing mechanics, and maybe another look at skill challenges.
  • 5E bounded accuracy.
  • PF2 three action economy.
My list would be similar, but from PF2 I would take the method of determining ability scores and possiby the way proficiency ranks work, rather than the 3-action economy. And while I might reduce the rate of number scaling compared with PF1, PF2, or 4e, it would not be to the extent that 5e did.

I think the hate stemmed from the radical departure from the Christmas tree effect of PF1s magic item system. When your used to very few limits having harsh one imposed can be a problematic.
A bigger problem IMNSHO is failing to live up to the hype. It was billed as a way to avoid tracking charges and uses per day for magic items, but as first presented you still had those things and resonance on top of it. Plus the fact that a potion could not get an unconscious character back on their feet if they were out of resonance (which could be due to permanent equipment even if they had not use a single point of resonance actively). Ultimately, the awful initial implementation soured people on it beyond the ability to recover.

Last edited:

Rerednaw

Explorer
To OP. Still running PF 1e. I run APs all the time. Currently the Anniversary Edition of Rise of the Runelords Book 5 atm. Various virtual tabletop sites have games running (I use a VTT easier to find players that way.)

Green Onceler

Explorer
Haven't had a chance to run a game for a few months. Playing The Midnight Mirror this weekend.

These early 32 page modules from Paizo are so good. Very real world friendly. I am constantly surprised there appears to be no market for such a format if the two big players are anything to go by.

darjr

I crit!
Haven't had a chance to run a game for a few months. Playing The Midnight Mirror this weekend.

These early 32 page modules from Paizo are so good. Very real world friendly. I am constantly surprised there appears to be no market for such a format if the two big players are anything to go by.
I think there is. See AL mods, sort of.

And the success of Shadowdarks creator or games like Mörk Borg

Alzrius

The EN World kitten

I just bought a bunch of Paizo's 3.5 modules from 2007-2009, having been lucky enough to find a used bookstore that was selling them via Amazon...although now I'm arguing with them over their having charged me individual shipping for each title, but sent them together in a single package. :cautious:

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
That's pretty nervy.

And, unfortunately, somewhat common. I had the same thing happen a year or two ago with some computer parts ordered from eBay (all shipped in one box, but charged a shipping and handling charge for each part). eBay eventually returned the over-charged money and issued a strike to the seller, but it was a complete pain in the rear that should've never happened to begin with.

Remove ads