D&D 5E Are Per Rest Resources a Hindrance?

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Oh it falls apart.

If you condense a whole days worth of encounters down to 2 encounters, it is very likely either all your long rest PCs can expend 40% of their resources or your party TPKs.
There's the other side of that where you have umpteen encounters because a couple short rest class players force a short rest every encounter or two & either everything dies a pointless & instant death or everything is jacked up to beyond lethal CRs so everyone has more trouble with saves/ac & long rest classes are screwed trying to make do with lesser resources/decide the perfect time to use their big gun while the warlock & such are doing things like casting the same fireball long rest classes have but doing it every round to ensure that the big gun is no big deal when the perfect time comes along

edit: this one annoys me more as a GM because there's no good way for me to deal with it & insulate the long rest classes from nova>rest>nova given the structure of 5e's rules.

Last edited:

Oofta

Legend
just drop it then. I don't want to go round and round... you don't like it got it.
We've been asked to not get into edition wars. 🤷‍♂️
and if I say "My monk is based on superboy prime, so I punch reality and a hole appears so we walk to the other side of the world" thats cool too... I just want a class that has more fantastic abilities for martial characters
I think we're talking different genres here. D&D is kind of it's own genre now, but I don't want to play a top-tier superhero game. Street level superheroes? Sure. Golden age Superman or Superboy prime? No thanks.

I think we're talking different genres here. D&D is kind of it's own genre now, but I don't want to play a top-tier superhero game. Street level superheroes? Sure. Golden age Superman or Superboy prime? No thanks.
okay but "I don't want to play that" is a great reason not to have it in your game... it's a terrible excuse why it can't be made as a new class

ad_hoc

(they/them)
I'm not sure what is happening in the OP but some things stick out to me.

Combat is designed to last 2-4 rounds. If it is taking 10 something is going on.

In my games players use their resources because they want to survive. If they hold back then the creatures, even low CR ones can cause them a real heck. Why isn't that happening in this game?

My players have learned that it is usually more efficient to unload in round 1 than to wait until things get really bad. Not sure why that isn't happening here.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Pfft, wandering monsters. That's what Leomund's Ridiculously Impenetrable Portable Bunker is for! You can stay in there, sip tea and eat biscuits, laughing at the wandering Trogs, and by morning, one Fireball should be sufficient to clear them all out!

Remove ads