• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Are Spell Recharge potions(items) the answer to Vancian spell exhaustion?

foolish_mortals

First Post
guys,

I hear all the time that the Vancian system is bad because people run out of spells halfway through the module and need to have a good sleep to get them back. Maybe we can fix that by not getting rid of the system buy by offering a way for people to recharge their spells that they've already spent. I'm thinking something like a potion of recharging. Drink it and you get some of your spells back.

Sometimes you don't need a fully charged wizard in the game. A lot of encounters can be whacked through and may be the only option. But give that Wizard a chance to recharge a little and quickly and the really tough encounters can be won.

foolish_mortals

enrious

Well, in 4e and Pathfinder, no spellcaster is ever truly out of spells.

That said, I wouldn't be opposed to something of this sort of consumable item.

foolish_mortals

First Post
it might be the answer for people that have casters that do run out of spells. As you say for those that are never out of spells it still might be nice to have a quick recharge.

I don't know why I never saw something like this in an earlier edition. The old solution was scroll after scroll. If that was a solution at all.

foolish_mortals

enrious

I'm guessing the answer would be whispered in a mumble whilst in a a darkened parking garage.

If you think of spells that can be cast per day as a consumable resource, and you realize that hit points are a consumable resource with ready means of replenishing, it does make you wonder.

Remove ads