• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Are you a 3.5e grognard? Post here!

Sunderstone

First Post
<--- steps up to the podium, looks around with building courage, taps the microphone once.....
"Hi, My name is Sunderstone and Im a 3.5 Grognard."

Dont like the way "Mages and Monsters" is heading for 4E, Ill keep playing D&D instead (3.5). Like others have said, I have tons of things to keep me happy for many years to come.

Thurbane

First Post
When I first made the leap from 2E to 3.5, I never thought I'd be sitting here misty eyed lamenting the end of 3.5

Yet here I am. :heh:

3.5 has worked out well for my group. Sure, there's aspects we tweak, and rules we carried over from 1E and 2E, but 3.5 has still been a worthy incarnation of the game I love.

Who knows, maybe by the time 5E rolls around I'll feel the same way about 4E, but at this stage I highly doubt it.

Long live BESMd20!!!

Ummm....

I can join you guys, right?

It's funny, I've got a fair number of different d20 books, but the only actual WotC book I own is the PHB I bought a year ago. While 3.x certainly isn't my favorite game, I don't see a compelling reason to upgrade. I'll be starting an Everstone and Ptolus mixed game, and folks are pumped. None of the people I play with are planning on upgrading, but then again we all still own boxed sets of the Basic D&D game, Rules Cycolpedia, 1st Ed Talislanta... 90% of my rpgs are dead games.

rgard

Adventurer
MerricB said:
A consolation thread for all those people who now find themselves no longer playing the current edition of D&D!

Yep, count me in...hence my sig for the past couple of months. I may buy the 4e phb just to see what they did with levels 21-30. Maybe backwards engineer it to replace the 3.x epic rules.

thedungeondelver

Adventurer
KingCrab said:
I always ran things according to the 3.5 rules and when there was a question of what the rules meant, I went here to EN world. Unlike 2ed, most 3.5 games were extremely similar. The rules were there (though there were many) so the DMs didn't have to make up a lot of individual stuff.

I miss it already... wait I'm playing Tuesday.

You're new at this, aren't you?

elijah snow

First Post
I think I could see switching to 4.0e if I were either a fairly new gamer or had only invested in a handful of 3.5e books.

However, as both a DM and avid collector of sourcebooks, settings books, and adventures, 3.5e works very well for me in terms of both rules and source materials. I've literally got tens of thousands of pages of great source material to fuel campaigns forever. And an official refusal to provide conversion guidelines just seems cruel.

And frankly, I don't see the proposed 4.0e changes as being so revolutionary as to warrant a giant leap to the new system:

Tieflings as PCs? Got 'em.
Alternate magic systems? See Unearthed Arcana, Book of Nine Swords, Tome of Magic, and Magic of Incarnum.
Faster game play? Try house rules.

As far as Prestige Classes and non-combat skills go, I like them. They had flavor, customization options, and encourage roleplaying.

I dunno, it just seems like madness to me to switch systems every seven years for no good reason.

Phlebas

First Post
It took me a long time to make the switch from 2nd ed to 3,5 (i missed 3,0 completely) and I still haven't gone 1-20 as either DM or player yet

I suspect i'll wait a while and see how 4ED pans out, wait for the errata and the online stuff to be debugged - so i guess that will make me a 3,5 grognard for the immediate future - probably until 4,5 (or whatever they will call it)

Thats assuming a couple of the guys i play with (who buy books on the magpie principle - 'Ooh, look, sparkly and new') don't invest heavily and decide to run games

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads