D&D (2024) Are You Happy with the Selection of Subclasses?

Aldarc

Legend
If there's any class that's begging for a rework using the Warlock chassis, it's Monk. Scale unarmed attacks/Flurry of Blows to match the scaling of EB+AB. Move all of their "flavor abilities" into a menu of invocation-like options, and add a bunch more so you can make a Monk more like Goku or Aang or Ryu.

Most people probably wouldn't want monks "casting spells", so repurpose pact magic into offensive or defensive "ki abilities" that can be used 2-3 times per SR.
I would say that if there was a class that would benefit from that Warlock chassis, it would be the Psion/Mystic. 🤷‍♂️

Tony Vargas

Legend
TBH, I'm not even that pleased with the selection of classes.
There are too many wizard-adjacent casters, and not enough non-casters (there are no non-caster, classes, just sub-classes).
The need for half-casters is unclear if MCing is no longer explicitly optional.
And there are questionable (arguably even problematic) class concepts like the Monk & Barbarian that might more properly be sub-classes or backgrounds.

Horwath

Legend
School wizard should just be:
2nd(or 3rd): pick any 2nd level options out of all 8 schools.
6th level: pick any 6th or lower level options out of all 8 schools.
10th level: pick any 10th or lower level options out of all 8 schools.
14th level: pick any 14th or lower level options out of all 8 schools.

Remathilis

Legend
School wizard should just be:
2nd(or 3rd): pick any 2nd level options out of all 8 schools.
6th level: pick any 6th or lower level options out of all 8 schools.
10th level: pick any 10th or lower level options out of all 8 schools.
14th level: pick any 14th or lower level options out of all 8 schools.
When WotC does a subclass with choice points, they only give you three choices. I don't see eight as likely.

I disagree that the "keeping up appearances" Paladin (Glory) is a narrow niche. The one who doesn't necessarily believe but keeps kayfabe and plays the hero anyway. Of course I'd rather they rewrote Crown a little bit for a much stronger thematic niche of "the Paladin sworn to the unworthy".

Remove ads