D&D (2024) Are You Happy with the Selection of Subclasses?

Moorcrys

Explorer
Not to pile on the poor sorcerer. While I can find a varied thematic “package” for most of the classes (evoker, abjurer, diviner, illusionist is a good example to me), I don’t know how clockwork is iconic or fits any kind of broad trope. Shadow, divine, even mental/psionic I would understand. But clockwork?

Dragon, Wild, Aberrant all make more sense to me. I assume they want to contrast chaos (wild) with law (clockwork) - but it’s just not a resonant trope to me.

And I play a clockwork sorcerer in my current game…

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Not to pile on the poor sorcerer. While I can find a varied thematic “package” for most of the classes (evoker, abjurer, diviner, illusionist is a good example to me), I don’t know how clockwork is iconic or fits any kind of broad trope. Shadow, divine, even mental/psionic I would understand. But clockwork?

Dragon, Wild, Aberrant all make more sense to me. I assume they want to contrast chaos (wild) with law (clockwork) - but it’s just not a resonant trope to me.

And I play a clockwork sorcerer in my current game…
One guess, it might be extremely populat after Tasha's.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It wasn't popular before Tasha's, that's for sure. Yuk yuk yuk.
I mean, one thing we can say about anything published in Tasha's is that theybhave at least a 70% satisfaction rate. Possibly higher, and WotC has Beyond usage data. It does give the Sorcerer an absolutely unique subclass.

Remathilis

Legend
One guess, it might be extremely populat after Tasha's.
Well of COURSE it was popular; it fixed two of the biggest problems with sorcerers in giving them 10 bonus spells AND allowing them to swap those spells for spells of your choice (within two schools). Clockwork in particular gave abjuration and transmutation, which opened up a lot of good spell choices for control and defense. It was straight gas compared to divine (which grants a single 1st level cleric spell and then allows you to use your 15 slots to pick between cleric and sorc) or shadow (which grants darkness only) or any others (storm, draconic, and wild grant none).

In a world where all sorcerer subclasses granted bonus spells and spell swapping, I question if clorckwork and aberrant would have been as popular.

Well of COURSE it was popular; it fixed two of the biggest problems with sorcerers in giving them 10 bonus spells AND allowing them to swap those spells for spells of your choice (within two schools). Clockwork in particular gave abjuration and transmutation, which opened up a lot of good spell choices for control and defense. It was straight gas compared to divine (which grants a single 1st level cleric spell and then allows you to use your 15 slots to pick between cleric and sorc) or shadow (which grants darkness only) or any others (storm, draconic, and wild grant none).

In a world where all sorcerer subclasses granted bonus spells and spell swapping, I question if clorckwork and aberrant would have been as popular.
Given that the Aberrant Mind is the best implementation of the Psion in any version of D&D, both simple and interesting with a twist while keeping the spell points of the psion but not needing 70 pages of custom designed spells in order to make it workable (and thus regularly banned by DMs either directly or as part of a blanket ban), yes it would have been pretty popular.

I don't think anyone thinks the Clockwork Soul would have been more than an oddity without the extra spells the sorcerer so desperately needed.

Remathilis

Legend
Given that the Aberrant Mind is the best implementation of the Psion in any version of D&D, both simple and interesting with a twist while keeping the spell points of the psion but not needing 70 pages of custom designed spells in order to make it workable (and thus regularly banned by DMs either directly or as part of a blanket ban), yes it would have been pretty popular.

I don't think anyone thinks the Clockwork Soul would have been more than an oddity without the extra spells the sorcerer so desperately needed.
I don't think either would have been UNpopular, just most of their popularity is bound up in being a fix to the 2014 sorcerer's weaknesses. Lunar sorcerer likewise.

mellored

Legend
Not a surprise, but they did just explicitly mentioned that the subclasses where chosen to be opposite of eachother.

I.e. clockwork (order) and wild (chaos).
Abjuration (defensive) and evoker (offense).

Remove ads