D&D General Are you jumping ship? What will you be switching to?

What system will you switch to?

• Pathfinder

Votes: 60 42.3%
  • Fantasy AGE

Votes: 7 4.9%
  • The One Ring

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • Dungeon World/PbtA

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • FATE

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Cortex

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Genesys

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • Cypher

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 100 70.4%
  • SotDL/SotWW

Votes: 12 8.5%

I'm honestly kind of curious why people would even be talking about jumping ship at all. If anything the OGL 1.0 is absurdly generous to the point that it allowed D&D'Souza closest rival, Pathfinder, to come into existence basically by copy-pasting 3.5 and adding some house rules.
Indeed. and it's the fear that that can happen again, but with much stronger marketing than Paizo could ever muster, that is motivating a (doomed) desire to move the goalposts.

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
It depends on the type of game I'm looking for, so I voted other.

For lengthy fantasy campaigns: OSE, C&C

For sword and sorcery inspired play: Hyperborea

For shorter dark campaigns: Shadow of the Demon Lord

For short campaigns where you ride a giant bee through outer space while ripping a space bong: DCC

Not jumping ship but definitely closely monitoring what's going on with OGL to decide if WotC sees any more of my money.

Currently finishing up a Descent Into Avernus campaign as a player and after that we're switching over to a Dragonlance DL1-14 5e conversion I'm DMing. Plan was to run encounters and character sheets in DDB using Roll20 for VTT but character sheets can be migrated to Roll20 and I can go back to a spreadsheet template I was using before DDB released their encounter builder tool. It's extra work but not the end of the world.

That will likely take us through 2023 and then we were planning to reassess what people wanted to do anyhow since 1D&D would be closer to launch. I wanted to pitch trying something different by then anyhow so seems like a good time to switch systems.

drl2

Explorer
My 3-ish-year 5e campaign wrapped up in early December and I was leaning toward a switch to PF2e anyway for the next one (based in part on the strength of its Foundry VTT system and the level of support offered by Paizo for it).

But in the meantime I'm doing a lot of dabbling - I want to run some one- or two-session adventures in some other games (Traveller, EZD6, Coyote and Crow, Mighty Protectors)

Staffan

Legend
I'll add that for those looking for a experience that has a lot of D&D-like elements (e.g. classes, levels, magic with distinct spells, partially traditional fantasy races, increasing hit points) but a wholly different system, Earthdawn is probably worth a look.

I'm honestly kind of curious why people would even be talking about jumping ship at all. If anything the OGL 1.0 is absurdly generous to the point that it allowed D&D's closest rival, Pathfinder, to come into existence basically by copy-pasting 3.5 and adding some house rules.
I'd honestly view any proposed changes differently if they were clearly designed to prevent a Pathfinder scenario, but there are ways they could have approached it differently to prevent a direct competitor using their ruleset to compete that wouldn't potentially impact a successful Kickstarter that won't take any money from WotC because the product simply doesn't compete with anything WotC is offering.

Last edited:

Nilbog

Snotling Herder
So the group I'm a player in is a 5e campaign, I highly suspect that we will continue playing that, however the DM is tied into the DDB / ROLL20 estate so if anything changes regarding accessibility to either of those we may switch.

The group I'm currently DM'ing for is PF2E and foundry. I'm very happy with both the system and the setup, so hopefully both will remain unchanged (having free online access to nethys is a must as it saves me so much prep time) should the WoTC overlords somehow blast either or both then I'd have to evaluate how easy it would be to continue with the stuff that I have locally, if there is no way it's possible to continue then I'd probably look towards either soulbound or SotWW

Remove ads