D&D General Are you jumping ship? What will you be switching to?

What system will you switch to?

• Pathfinder

Votes: 60 42.3%
  • Fantasy AGE

Votes: 7 4.9%
  • The One Ring

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • Dungeon World/PbtA

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • FATE

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Cortex

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Genesys

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • Cypher

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 100 70.4%
  • SotDL/SotWW

Votes: 12 8.5%

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I have absolutely no desire or need to make decisions on anything right now... considering the fact that there's still plenty of time for WotC/Hasbro executives to make big decisions and changes which result in everything working out for everyone. And thus the thousands of people who had previously exclaimed "I'm done!" (but who actually still really want to play D&D)... having to backtrack their statements if they find the new situation acceptable.

So why bother going through the effort of "choosing now" when there's nothing to gain?
Completely agree. Wait, decide later.

Ulfgeir

Hero
My group plays all kinds of different rpgs. Last time we did D&D was before the pandemic hit.

At the moment, we are playing GURPS, and a homebrewed PbtA-game. I will start a campaign in The Troubleshooters, which is based on BRP. Otherwise FATE has been popular. We will later on restart a game in Scion 2e (which uses the Storypath system).

Hex08

Hero
I have absolutely no desire or need to make decisions on anything right now... considering the fact that there's still plenty of time for WotC/Hasbro executives to make big decisions and changes which result in everything working out for everyone. And thus the thousands of people who had previously exclaimed "I'm done!" (but who actually still really want to play D&D)... having to backtrack their statements if they find the new situation acceptable.

So why bother going through the effort of "choosing now" when there's nothing to gain?
Obviously, everyone is free to make their own decisions but if WotC backtracks that doesn't mean that everyone who screamed "I'm done!" has to backtrack. Some people might decide that even though WotC changed their mind that they don't want to support a company who is obviously willing to consider these kinds of changes.

I haven't played D&D in over a decade, and it wasn't because I didn't want to play D&D anymore. I still wanted to play D&D but I just moved to Pathfinder and then Castles and Crusades. Whether or not the OGL changes the majority of people are likely going to still play D&D over other games for some time to come.

hedgeknight

Explorer
I'm just happy rolling my d20s and playing D&D, using paper books that I bought a while ago, at a table with friends and a fridge full of beer. We always homebrew our stories and will probably not buy any new books. Wasn't going to do that anyway, and the OGL stuff does not change it.

And I regret that some content-creators cannot make money anymore because of the OGL, but I was never their customer anyway, so the current storm does not change our course.
^^This! I wish I lived close to you and could game at your table...and help you unload the fridge :p

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Its already the case that I only play 5E with my kids and that isn't going to change other than my unwillingness to buy any more books. Everything I actually run and choose to play in is non-D&D (lots of OSR though).

Remove ads