• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Armageddon: Rise of the Nephilim -- IC

Mordane76

First Post
Shin

You step in, catching him offguard with the jab, but missing woefully with hook. His eyes tear up, and he staggers back, trying to bring up his guard.

OOC:
Shin's Attacks: 24, 10 = hit and a miss.
Damage saves: 10 = fail, VP to re-roll: 6, becomes 13, fail.
Failed by more than five - Stunned.

Mordane76

First Post
Thomas

Thaddeus brings you a lamp and a tray with a decanter of water and a glass after a few moments. He leaves quietly, quickly.

Sifting through the crate, there are 18 books, and a folder stuffed with a few scraps of loose paper. Most of the books are history texts -- Semitic area prehistory and Mesopotamian history, as well as a few volumes of classic fiction. The papers are random scribblings, not words -- more pictures, possibly pictograms, but not anything you recognize. Thumbing through one of the books on archaelogy and ancient Jerusalem, your eyes tear up...

...the book lands hard against a thick, oak desk. Unable to see beyond its resting place, you hear muffled gurgling, guttural... noise... and then silence. The silence lasts for what feels like an eternity, until it is broken by a distant sloshing, and then punctured every so often by an arythmic drip...

You blink away the tears, put the book down, and stop a moment to catch your breath.

OOC:
Fort Save (DC 14): 14, success.

Mordane76

First Post
Jonathan and Adam

Your attempt on the guard yields little of use -- you manage to penetrate no further than into his accessory thought processes. A myriad of mortal cares and concerns, wrapped up in a longing for the end of his shift, he snaps alert when the Lincoln carrying Adam and Mr. Valenz arrives, and opens the gate.

The Lincoln pulls straight up to the front.

"We're here," Mr. Valenz says to Adam, as he opens his door. "I had the driver call ahead and inform the head of the Institute that we'd be arriving. He should be waiting for us in the foyer. We'll wait a few moments for Mr. Priest before proceeding, however -- I wouldn't want him to miss any of this."

Drakknyte32

First Post
Jonathan was still wary, he didn't like the thought of going straight into the heart of enemy territory alone. But that was the price of war, you couldn't win the battle without taking a few risks.

"Waiting will not be necessary. I told you I was capable of keeping up with you quite well."

Jonathan lets his invisibility drop and appears beside the front doors.

WizWrm

First Post
Adam nods. "The head of the Institute? Is this a small operation, then, or am I a special occasion?"

"What's the name of the Institute, anyway?" he asks. "I don't think it ever came up." Adam will try to remember if he's ever heard the name before, in a more mundane context.

When Priest appears, he gestures toward the doors. "Looks like it's time to head on in." As they approach, he says to Priest, "Look, I don't really want to insult you...I was just caught a bit off-guard in the warehouse. Regardless, even if you are 'the oldest of the Nephilim,' it might do you some good to drop the whole mysterious-crusader act." He shrugs helplessly. "You could have ridden along in the car with us. I don't think Mr. Valenz would have tried to attack you, and even if he had, judging by what I've seen you do, you wouldn't have had a problem trying to escape. Just loosen up a bit, that's all. It would help me take you a little more seriously."

Mordane76

First Post
"Our Institute is called the Phoenix Foundation," an older gentleman at the top of the stairs says to the question. He nods congenially to Priest as he starts down the stairs towards Mr. Valenz and Adam. "We're not a large operation, but we're not necessarily small, either. And yes, a new recruit touring the facility is always a special occasion, Mr. Hylund. Welcome to our home -- my name is Dr. Adolf Janus, acting chair of the Foundation... please, come in, all of you."

WizWrm said:
When Priest appears, he gestures toward the doors. "Looks like it's time to head on in." As they approach, he says to Priest, "Look, I don't really want to insult you...I was just caught a bit off-guard in the warehouse. Regardless, even if you are 'the oldest of the Nephilim,' it might do you some good to drop the whole mysterious-crusader act." He shrugs helplessly. "You could have ridden along in the car with us. I don't think Mr. Valenz would have tried to attack you, and even if he had, judging by what I've seen you do, you wouldn't have had a problem trying to escape. Just loosen up a bit, that's all. It would help me take you a little more seriously."

Inside the estate, Dr. Janus turns to the butler. "Nehmen Sie Herrn Valenz zur Küche, und informieren Sie ihn über die Situation in Israel, bitte," he says, who motions to Mr. Valenz to follow him. As they leave, Dr. Janus turns to you both. "Now, let me show you to around our operation here. Publically, we are a non-profit organization working in genetics, biology, and disease control and eradication. Privately, we also conduct research into geneaology and archaeology, hoping this work will lead us to information on others like ourselves -- extraordinary people. We also opened a private school for extraordinary people in which to master their abilities without the prying eyes of a sometimes unforgiving public."

He leads you into a well-appointed sitting room off the right of the foyer, where several youngsters are reading quietly. "Some of our youngest students are only 6 years old, but their powers developed early in life. Their parents were ill-equipped to manage the difficulties presented by raising such a child, but we step in and provide an environment of like-abled individuals... a safety-net, so to speak. We are appointed guardians of many of the children, but they are still in the custody and care of their parents, who are free to visit us at anytime or remove their children from the program if they so desire. However, there is no such other environment available -- the US government still does not openly recognize the existence of extraordinary people, but we're sure they know we exist."

As he prepares to continue, his cellphone beeps. Was? Halten Sie ihn nach unten. Ich bin dort kurz," he says with a blush. "Please, excuse me. I'll send Mr. Valenz back as quickly as possible to continue showing you around. Feel free to talk to the children, though -- I'm sure they can provide an excellent viewpoint on some of our rudimentary programs."

WizWrm

First Post
"Our Institute is called the Phoenix Foundation," an older gentleman at the top of the stairs says to the question. He nods congenially to Priest as he starts down the stairs towards Mr. Valenz and Adam. "We're not a large operation, but we're not necessarily small, either. And yes, a new recruit touring the facility is always a special occasion, Mr. Hylund. Welcome to our home -- my name is Dr. Adolf Janus, acting chair of the Foundation... please, come in, all of you."

"Phoenix Foundation? Very appropriate for my particular situation," says Adam, smirking as he lets tiny wisps of flame dance around his fingertips.

When Dr. Janus leaves, he turns to Priest. "Israel, huh? Do you speak German, Priest?"

Adam shrugs. "I was kind of hoping he'd start off with an explanation of how we have our abilities." Glancing at Priest, he says, "Or their version of it, anyway, since you seem to be pretty sure how you got yours. I wonder how their archaeology research fits into that."

Adam scans the room, looking for the oldest child in the room. When he does, he walks over and presents his hand for a handshake. "Hey, how's it going? I'm Adam Hylund; a new recruit, I guess. What's your name, and what do you do here?"

Rybaer

First Post
Shin

Mordane76 said:
You step in, catching him offguard with the jab, but missing woefully with hook. His eyes tear up, and he staggers back, trying to bring up his guard.

Shin grins as he watches the brute staggers back under his attack. He has no interest in giving the guy a chance to return the favor so he presses on with a blistering cascade of fists.

(ooc - Rapid strike attack +9/+9; Dmg save DC26 for stun damage.)

Velmont

First Post
Thomas' crisis of epilepsie was the thing he had to deal on a regular basis. It always strike him unexpected. Just like any one in with that medical problem. But where it's not the same for him, it is the memory he have of his crisis. Anyone would not remember it, but in his case, it is special. He remember, but not his memory. It is generaly the memory of an object or a place. In that case, it is the memory of the book he is holding.

He take moment, and stare at the book. He slowly breath and try to calm down his heart. He puts down the book and take the glass of water, and take a sip of it. He close his eyes and starts to control his breath again. Slowly, the images come back to his mind, one by one.

...the book lands hard against a thick, oak desk.

Thomas see himself standing next to the desk. The desk is alone in a dark room. The book fall on it. The sound resonate in the emptyness of his mind.

Someone who works with books like him wouldn't simply throw the book on the table. It is obvious he drop it, surely as something else was a lot more urgent than taking care of that book...

Unable to see beyond its resting place, you hear muffled gurgling, guttural... noise...

...like saving his own life. He was attacked, surely not a suicide. But nothing new here, just one more hint to some obvious evidence. And someone try to strangulate him...

and then silence. The silence lasts for what feels like an eternity,

... and it was successfull. Not noise of a fight. Only someone who need to breath, and then, nothing. Dead by strangulation it seems. But no hint of who could have done it. I'll need to see the corpse to determine what could have stangulate him.

until it is broken by a distant sloshing, and then punctured every so often by an arythmic drip...

The blood is spread now in the room. After his death it seems. Why to bother to spread blood all over his room after his death? That's seems a good question. Why?

Thomas stay silent in the dark, the desk in front of him, listening to the drip. He opens his eyes, and he is back to the attic. He takes the glass of water and finish it in one shot.

Now I have good hint on the how of this crime, but what really interest me is the why and who. Isn't there anything that can help me. If a book have more answers than those, it must be in the hands of the police or the employer of the victim. I'll need to check. Now, finish to look at that.

He takes one of the remaining book and continue to read as he was doing. When he finish, he stands up and go to search for Thaddeus.

Drakknyte32

First Post
At the door Priest smiles and shakes his head.

"Have I been acting 'Mysterious Crusader' like? Sorry, but I'm so used to using my powers like that that I don't even think about it when I do it. And I haven't ridden in a car in, well, ever. My sorcery is a much faster and easier way for me to get around."

Jonathan follows them in and listens to them talk but doesn't comment himself. He does try to read the mind of the butler as they pass but doesn't expect much success. If they could block the mind of the guard they could block the mind of the people inside. Still, it doesn't hurt to try.

When they get to the room with the children in it Jonathan mentally frowns. They were recruiting from a young age, and their were a lot of them. He would have to tell the Eternitas about this.

When Jonathan and Adam are alone with the kids Priest finally decides to talk again.

"Sorry, but I'm afraid I don't speak German. As for where we come from, actually our powers are passed down through our bloodline. All humans with the blood of the Nephilim have these powers, but it remains dormant until certain conditions are met. Perhaps they are looking for knowledge of other bloodlines."

Priest goes and talks with the kids about what their powers are and what they think of it here. He tries to impress them with his sorcery, creating illusions and causing objects to fly about the room and similar tricks. As he does this he tries to see if any of his powers are being blocked or dampened.

Remove ads