• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Armor & Coins - please, No.

EATherrian

First Post
Grymar said:
What bothers me most in this is cosmetic...the names. How many compound pointless words can they make up per page? It seems to me that the old standards of mithril and adamantine have been removed because they aren't copywriteable. WotC has to replace anything that doesn't fall under their IP with something they can hold on to and restrict via the new game license.

Feyweave
Starweave
Feyleather
Starleather
Darkhide
Elderhide
Forgemail
Spiritmail
Wyrmscale
Godplate
Warplate

I'm sorry, but these names are AWFUL. I mean it that way too. They are so bad they require capitalization. I'm sure this is going to really stop the MMORPG comparisons, since these sound like a direct port. Oh well, more things I need to change.

Belphanior

First Post
Grymar said:
Feyweave
Starweave
Feyleather
Starleather
Darkhide
Elderhide
Forgemail
Spiritmail
Wyrmscale
Godplate
Warplate

I like some of those names. Feyweave sounds evocative, I like the notion of 400 senile pixies working at a loom for centuries underneath their mad king's willow-hall, to produce a silken toga of unsurpassed fineness yet highly resistant to staining and tears. Godplate sounds awesome too. It's what you deck out the fighter with when you're going hunting the princes of hell and boot them in the teeth.

Starleather... not so much. And Forgemail sounds like a subscription to an indie rpg newsletter. :p

Moon-Lancer

First Post
Grymar said:
What bothers me most in this is cosmetic...the names. How many compound pointless words can they make up per page? It seems to me that the old standards of mithril and adamantine have been removed because they aren't copywriteable. WotC has to replace anything that doesn't fall under their IP with something they can hold on to and restrict via the new game license.

Feyweave
Starweave
Feyleather
Starleather
Darkhide
Elderhide
Forgemail
Spiritmail
Wyrmscale
Godplate
Warplate

yeah, its kindof sad and pathetic if thats the case. It also hurts classic fantasy in my opinon and adds to d&disms in a very bad way.

That said i think that armor types are not going to be granted by classes with just light or heavy armor but i think many of the classes will get cloth armor or chain shirt or etc....

That would make alot more sense and prevent everyone from going for the plate armor or hide armor. I dont think that light armor will have dex/int cap ether.

Belphanior

First Post
Moon-Lancer said:
I dont think that light armor will have dex/int cap ether.

Well yeah, it literally says so on that page... Read the lower part of the utmost left paragraph.

Light armor: Int or Dex modifier
Heavy armor: no modifier at all

D.Shaffer

First Post
Eh, the names arent really all that bad compared to the alternate materials we've seen in previous editions. Is Wyrmscale and Godarmor really that much worse then Darkleaf, Bronzewood, Starmetal, or my favorite, Ysgardian Heartweave? :lol:

Heck, would you have accepted Mithril and Admantine if they just made them up now?

Wormwood

Adventurer
Moon-Lancer said:
yeah, its kindof sad and pathetic if thats the case. It also hurts classic fantasy in my opinon and adds to d&disms in a very bad way.
Keep your game in Heroic Tier and I don't think you'll ever have to worry about Feyweave or Starweave.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads