D&D 5E Artificer Class, Revised: Rip Me A New One

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
Originally posted by rampant:

Ok seriously you still have a check to use SSI? GET RID OF IT! DO you have any idea how much of  amess that makes of things as far as trying to balance the class? That's an entire extra set of percentages to wade through!

The best solution to the spell versatility issue is to simply not allow an unlimited number of schema known. Like I said Ao stepping down to boccob is better than nothing, but Boccob is still a  bad model for PC ability gain, and I know full well wizards do it. That doens't make it a good idea! 

As for weapon and armor augment why is the base ability still a daily why does craft reserve behave differently for armor and wepon aug? Yes fixing it at level 9 is good but why is it that way to start with?

RealAlHazred

Originally posted by Tempest_Stormwind:

rampant wrote:Ok seriously you still have a check to use SSI? GET RID OF IT! DO you have any idea how much of  amess that makes of things as far as trying to balance the class? That's an entire extra set of percentages to wade through!
First, I've had it from the get-go, and this is the first time you're bringing it up, and you're doing so by yelling. 

Second, it's always been part of the artificer, both on 3.5 and in Keith's hack.

Third, the success rates are still rather high at most levels. The less-than-certain nature makes it an interesting choice, as it means the artificer is never your first choice if you have access to spells, but he's always a viable choice since he can try to make a device that casts the perfect spell for the situation. (I think if you actually work with the craft reserve paradigm I've set up, you'll find you've got enough reserve to retry if you fail.)

Fourth... well, let's look at your suggestions in sequence. It started out more or less as it is now, except higher cost and slower - that is, 1 minute, spell slot + craft reserve, create a device that casts any spell in your book of schema, Arcana DC 10+2*level to activate.

First, you called them useless (though this might have been a misread, since you thought it took 10 minutes to make.
Second, you asked for it to be cheaper, removing either the slot cost or the reserve cost. (I agreed and removed the slot cost).
Third, you asked for a limited number of spells known instead of a spellbook.
Fourth, you asked for the skill check to be removed, making it reliable.

If I did all of these, I would end up with a very small number of spells known from lower spell levels than the wizard, but the ability to cast them over and over reliably, regaining uses after a short rest.

In short, what you want isn't the artificer - it's the warlock, described as an artificer. And I'm not making a warlock.

The best solution to the spell versatility issue is to simply not allow an unlimited number of schema known. Like I said Ao stepping down to boccob is better than nothing, but Boccob is still a  bad model for PC ability gain, and I know full well wizards do it. That doens't make it a good idea!
You didn't react to how I changed things. 23 schema from levelling, from lower level spells than any real caster can manage, with unreliability (which you decry upthread) if you want to use them on the fly instead of through the really slow scroll system, and with no ability to find more unless your DM plants them via NPC artificers, scrolls in treasure hoards, or ancient ruins or the like. That's pretty far from a wizard. I think you're seeing "spellbook" and thinking, like in 3.5 where there was a functional economy in inexpensive scrolls and enough wealth to buy them, that this means "I know every spell ever". 

Let's be brutal, but specific: What, in those limits, leads artificers to having every spell ever in the book?

As for weapon and armor augment why is the base ability still a daily why does craft reserve behave differently for armor and wepon aug? Yes fixing it at level 9 is good but why is it that way to start with?
I've answered this twice. It also isn't a daily - you often have more than enough reserve to use it more than once before you run short of craft reserve. (Seriously, you suggested Int + Level, which is a great progression and I wholeheartedly agree - did you assume that you only have 2 points available until level 9 or something like that? Honestly, you won't have too much locked up in scrolls or potions, and SSI reserve recovers after a short rest - you'll have enough to last until 9th.) 

Interestingly, this also means it serves a purpose pre-9th - the more frequently you use your augmentation, the less frequently you use your SSIs, but the reverse isn't necessarily true. Augments allow you to become a pretty potent tank (since resistances effectively double your hit points) or warrior (Int-attacks and hitting vulnerabilities), and they both last for an hour (which is a long time - long enough for any encounter, quite likely long enough for more than one). If that recovered on a short rest - which it does, after 9th - that tactical tradeoff is gone, and you are encouraged to have it up almost all the time, using the ability in-combat again only to switch resistances or elements.

I personally prefer the earlier tradeoff - it gives you a reason to clock out if you aren't using your infusions (and since your infusions aren't as generically useful, apart from a few staples like Enhance Ability, you're not as likely as a wizard to rely only on them). I'm honestly considering dropping the short rest recovery from augments (or move it to the more fighter-esque Spellforgers' Guild, which play more like the 'ficer you want anyway), but you're extremely vocal about it. I wish other voices would weigh in on this.

EDIT: Revisions:
  • The magitechnician is gone. All of the abilities I had in mind for it slowly got rolled into the main class, except for the ability to salvage legendary items. I'm fine scrapping that or leaving it as an in-world benefit for eldritch machines or high-level Cannith research labs.
  • Spell Storing Item Expertise replaced the benefit of the main class at level 14 (so now nearly all artificers have a 100% success rate with low-level SSIs from that level onward, though it was already pretty high before that - assuming no disadvantage). 
  • Augmentations can now be used on allied equipment by default. 
  • Augmentation Mastery at 9th got an overhaul - and, notably, the Spellforgers' Guild got the ability to recover augment craft reserve after a short rest at level 3, so spellforgers now play the way Rampant wanted from low levels. Non-spellforgers keep the tactical tradeoff that I find more interesting.

RealAlHazred

I think the call to ditch the check for SSI may have been in the other thread. The point is that it's a bad idea 

You've explained a bunch of stuff about the weapon and armor augments, I don't see where you explained that aspect specifically. You go on about cantrips and energy types and all sorts of stuff, but I don't see where you explain why that translates into burning craft reserve for the day. And yes I call it a daily because using (at least before level 9) is on a daily limit. If you could use it five times per day, I would call it a daily, because that's the clock it's on. 

As for the SSI spells You're the one who decided to junk the spell slot cost. I just thought the craft reserve cost was a bit prohibitive especially since they were already paying the spell slot cost. I was thinking that you could lower it a bit so that keeping a fully up-casted spell stored away somewhere for emergencies wasn't gonna bleed you dry. I'm looking at the original 3.5 artificer and I don't see a spell storing power anywhere, much less one that requires a check. Also 23 spells known is far from a small number, also I never said it had to be a small number just not a theoretically infinite one where they don't pay opportunity costs to learn new ones. 

Of course that's not even getting into how hard you're trying to make the artificer a wonky primary caster instead of a support monster. Potions are nice and all but not enough to carry the class, SSI can only be used by the artificer himself, and the infusions are just normal spells essentially. Scrolls and SSI are the real hook for the class and they can't even use them properly, well that's a bit unfair to scrolls I guess since they were always designed to be caster specific, but SSI is where your artificer could really have made a name for itself and because you force the artificer to cast his own SSI spells you loose that potential. If the Artificer could hand out a few spells stored in items before a fight and let his allies trigger them it would be amazing. Which is why you need the spell slot cost to be honest.

The most terrifying artificers were never the ones with the rods of railgun, or the buffed out god armor that made them +50 at everything. The really scary hammerjockies were the ones that remembered what an artificer was for: Party Enhancement. 

RealAlHazred

rampant wrote:I think the call to ditch the check for SSI may have been in the other thread. The point is that it's a bad idea
My internal tests and Keith's playtest report suggest otherwise. The risk is a huge part of that ability. (Incidentally, I'm already quite generous with it since it's on a short-rest recharge.)

You've explained a bunch of stuff about hte weapon and armor augments, I don't see where you explained that aspect specifically. You go on about cantrips and energy types and all sorts of stuff, but I don't see where you explain why that translates into burning craft reserve fo rthe day. And yes I call it a daily because using (at least before level 9) is on a  daily limit. If you could use it five times per day, I would call it a daily, because that's the clock it's on.
Let me be specific, then. If everything's on a short rest, then the artificer will have absolutely no reason to take a long rest unless his infusions run dry, and his infusions are not as central to the class as his other modifications (though they do carry several useful party enhancement effects - despite your assertion that this isn't a support character). You seem to want to have an artificer who, simply by being on the team, instantly gives the entire team permanent magic weapons and badass armor. That's in violation of Goal 1, which I opened with for a good reason.

Furthermore, by setting it as a long-rest recovery with a slightly higher cost, you're forced to think about when to use it. It already lasts an entire hour (compare to Magic Weapon and Elemental Weapon, which are also on "long rest" recovery as they're spells, except Weapon Augmentation doesn't require Concentration), when most similar short-rest-recovery buff effects last only a minute (see Sacred Weapon, probably the closest to Weapon Augmentation in spirit, which is a channel divinity (short rest) option). If Augmentation moves to a short rest recovery, then it's definitely only lasting a minute.

Also, the word "daily" has baggage from 4e, where it meant an ability that was usable once per day. An ability that can be used multiple times per day (or indeed in the same encounter), by definition, isn't "daily". It may use a depletable resource that's on a daily recharge, but that's not the same thing.

As for the SSI spells You're the one who decided to junk the spell slot cost. I just thought the craft reserve cost was a bit prohibitive expecially since they were already paying the spell slot cost. I was thinking that you could lower it a bit so that keeping a fully up-casted spell stored away somewhere for emergencies wasn't gonna bleed you dry.
The thing is, you aren't "storing it away for emergencies" (that's what scrolls are for). You're building the perfect tool on the spot. (Incidentally, these items? These are the non-DMG items you're talking about in your early replies. You're not casting Sleep, you're building a magical knockout gas system). 

I'm looking at the original 3.5 artificer and I don't see a spell sotring power anywhere, much less one that requires a check.
Eberron Campaign Setting page 115, expressed in 5e form in Keith's much-linked blog post. The speed-up clause is the general rule at the top of page 31. (This is also how Weapon Augmentation worked at the time too - it also took a minute to use, so in-combat use required action points. I've been really generous with that instead. But I degress - back to a risky SSI.)

It's always been a central part to the artificer - central enough that I decided to list it as a class feature instead of a spell (though with the tweaks to infusions, I could easily express it as one instead, using slots entirely instead of reserve - this would mean you basically only use reserve for permanent items, augments, and magecraft, which is less appealing to me, and it means that your SSI itself can be counterspelled as easily as the spell itself. If SSI proves more problematic, that's how I'll solve it - not by getting rid of its signature risk factor).

Let's quote Keith, in fact. 

Keith Baker wrote:The first character I ever played in an Eberron campaign was a warforged artificer named Smith. My favorite thing about playing an artificer was the ability to come up with the perfect tool on the spur of the moment. Between Weapon Augmentation and Armor Enhancement I could tailor my equipment to have the ideal enhancement to deal with my current enemy. My favorite infusion was spell-storing item; this allowed an artificer to create a one-shot wand loaded with any spell of up to fourth level. I could come up with a healing spell to help a wounded ally, a fireball to take down a mob of enemies, or suddenly build a mystical translator (using the tongues spell) out of eggshells and coconuts. However, there were restrictions to balance out this powerful effect. The maximum level of the spell was tied to my level, so I couldn’t spell-store a cleric spell that a cleric of my level couldn’t cast. The infusion took a minute to perform, unless I burnt an action point to reduce this to one round. And most important of all: I had to make a skill check to make the infusion work, and if I made a particularly bad check the whole thing could backfire. So it was an extremely powerful and versatile effect, but it was unpredictable and risky. More than anything else, THIS made me feel like a magical inventor. I could reverse-engineer the magic performed by any other class… but I could never be sure this dangerous experiment would work!
My experience with artificers is similar - this single infusion turned the artificer from a buff machine into an outright mad magical scientist. It was a little too broad in 3.5, though, and it was easy as pie for an artificer to custom-build magic items to give insane bonuses to the skill needed to do this. I endeavored to fix those here. 

Also 23 spells known is far from a small number, also I never said it had to be a small number just not a theoretically infinite one where they don't pay opportunity costs to learn new ones.
Opportunity costs also come in using the things too, not just in learning them. There's resources on that side too.

Imagine a wizard with twice as many spells in his spellbook and spells prepared, but a 50% failure rate. He'd definitely be weaker! Now consider that the artificer has about half as many spells in the spellbook to begin with, can't use more than a handful between short rests, takes a full minute to use any of them (or a hit die, which is rather limited since only half of the ones you spend return on a long rest), and still might fail. His sole advantages here are that they can come from any list (but they still require the appropriate components and concentration, which prevents the worst offenders from earlier editions) and that he doesn't need to prepare them (they're like wizard spellbook rituals in this way, except they do cost a depletable resource).

Of course that's not even getitng into how hard you're trying to make the artificer a wonky primary caster instead of a support monster.
Considering which spells actually work with SSI (hint: the support/utility spells you use outside of combat), the delayed access to stronger spells, class features which emphasize support (especially now that augments are team-enabled by default), and the list of entirely support-driven infusions, I find your characterization the exact opposite of apt. 

What, exactly, would a "support" character look like, in your eyes?

Potions are nice and all but not enough to carry the class, SSI can only be used by the artificer himself, and the infusions are just normal spells essentially.
Infusions are also entirely support-based (unless you're fighting constructs). The reason SSIs can't be used by teammates is to prevent the artificer from building multiple laser cannons (Scorching Ray) and having the entire team unload them at once - he's the one who bult them, he's the one who understands them, they're unstable and won't last long enough for him to explain to you how they work, and it's not his fault you spent your time learning the deeper secrets of swordplay or theology instead of arcanoengineering.
Scrolls and SSI are the real hook for the class and they can't even use them properly, well that's a bit unfair to scrolls I guess since they were always designed tio be caster specific, but SSI is where your artificer could really have made a name for itself and because you force the artificer to cast his own SSI spells you loose that potential. If the Artificer could hand out a few spells stored in items befor e afight and let his allies trigger them it would be amazing. Which is why you need the spell slot cost to be honest.
Right, and without the spell slot cost, having the artificer be the only one who can use them makes perfect sense for this exact reason. You seem to think "SSI" means "full spellcaster". I strongly suggest you actually try it before you make that conclusion. If you think I'm wrong, show me why I'm wrong - I'm moved by data

As for scrolls, it's interesting - the blanket rules for scrolls say anyone can use them, but spell scrolls in particular require you to be a spellcaster who has the spell on their list. (And I mention it during spellcrafting, but for purposes of making or using magic items, this artificer is considered a spellcaster with the spells in his book of schema as his list, so yes he can use his own scrolls.) At the moment there's only one kind of scroll that isn't a spell scroll - specifically, the Scroll of Protection, which is reasonably similar to the Magic Circle spell.

So, yes, if you want him to build devices that his teammates can use, that's what scrolls are for. They also eat up craft reserve for their entire duration, take a little longer to make (but last forever), and so on. And if you want the entire team to start throwing spells, including those who can't use spell scrolls, look at the alchemists' guild spell flasks. (And, to a lesser extent, their bombs - the alchemists' guild deliberately doesn't say only the artificer can throw bombs. He's just faster at it, as he can do it as an action or a bonus action.)

The most terrifying artificers were never the ones with the rods of railgun, or the buffed out god armor that made them +50 at everything. The really scary hammerjockies were the ones that remembered what an artificer was for: Party Enhancement. 
Considering how the 3.5 artificer's party enhancements fell into two categories - custom permanent magic items that did whatever you wanted and upgraded the team beyond what they could possibly have obtained through loot, and temporary enhancements through infusions (including Weapon Augmentation, Armor Augmentation, and Spell Storing Item, which were on spell slots ("daily" in your parlance) in the 3.5 artificer instead of the reserve system here).

The first of these two will not work in 5e, and trying to implement them violates Goal 1.

The second of these is still here, with a very similar infusion list, a generous (but not full!) slot progression, and much more frequent use of SSIs and removal of competition for slots on the augments through craft reserve. (And if you absolutely must have eternal augments up, look at the spellforgers' guild.)

Revisions made:
  • Trying something new. I've switched it to a 2/3 caster (partly because I typoed the higher levels for 3/4). This really delays higher level spells, further shifting from the "full caster" description you've provided.
  • I gave the whole thing an editing pass, so it's lighter on the text, which gives a better impression of how much space it'll actually take up in a book (Goal 3).
  • Spell Storing Mastery now applies to 4th level SSIs as well; I misremembered the old SSI. The reason it doesn't go up to 5th (like Arcane Recovery, Natural Recovery, or Pact Magic) is twofold: you're already on short-rest recovery for SSI regardless of the level of the spell, and the new progression only just gives you 5ths at level 14 (so using your highest-level spells always carries a risk).
  • I'm considering your insistent suggestions on Augmentation. Which of the following is more appealing: A one-minute duration for the core class but a short-rest-recharge for the Spellforgers' Guild; a one-minute duration and a short-rest recharge on the core class and a reduced cost for the Spellforgers' Guild, or a one-minute duration on the core class and a one-hour duration for the Spellforgers' Guild (both on a long-rest recharge)? Personally, I prefer the first one.

RealAlHazred

SSI got away with that crap back in 3e because it was a single infusion. Speaking as someone who played a few artificers I never touched that unreliable POS. With resistance item and repair serious damage on the page before no wonder that failed to register. In your case this is a core class feature that your guy has instead of most of the stuff a 3e artificer could do. This is what your artificer does instead of crafting a wide assortment of items which was his primary schtick in 3e. SSI is your 5e artificers CORE MECHANIC, Barbarians don't have to make a check to rage. 

Craft reserve is a great way to limit how many items the artificer can maintain for his lesser crafts, the basic augmentations, scrolls, potions, stored spells and such, but it's largely an encounter timed resource. The spell slots used to create the items from an excellent daily resource, used in conjunction this allows you to maintain a suite of gadgets in a balanced manner. You aren't casting any more spells per day but you are using them differently. You prep a few gadgets ahead of time, and when you catch a  breather you whip up a few more, supplemented by a few tricks you can use on the fly (infusions). So you're dependent on the gadgets for the more versatile and dramatic effects. Having the weapon and armor augments break that pattern probably isn't game breaking but it is jarring to an extreme. 

What if you made them into 1 round cantrips instead of making them run of the craft reserve system? 

RealAlHazred

rampant wrote:SSI got away with that crap back in 3e because it was a single infusion. Speaking as someone who played a few artificers I never touched that unreliable POS.  With resistance item and repair serious damage on the page before no wonder that failed to register. 
You, then, were missing out. +30 to UMD was pretty easy to do (even without custom items, thanks to Item Alteration), so nothing stopped you from reliably SSIing any spell the game printed. You could even do so using a single action every time you tried, since Persistent Unfettered Heroism (1 temporary action point every single round for the whole day) was a thing they could do, using wands they could build. They could even do it without Persistent Spell or draining charges from the wand (since Wand Surge (spend AP in place of a wand charge) was a thing, and Unfettered Heroism itself could supply the AP - you'd use one charge from the wand, then when the duration was running low, you'd tap the temporary AP to re-activate it.)

(Incidentally, I would almost never touch the two infusions you mentioned. Resistance Item is completely superceded by cloaks of resistance (which are inexpensive and some of the best items of the price anyone of any class ever buy, at any level - and they're easy as pie for artificers to build after level 3), and Repair Serious Damage is, well, a cure spell(x).)

In the 5e version I've written, the success rates are actually quite high even with non-Int races. A starting Int of 14 looks like this:

Show
[sblock]Assuming you use Ability Score Improvement on +Int until you hit 20:
Int 141st2nd3rd4th5th6th7th
LevelDC 12DC 14DC 16DC 18DC 20DC 22DC 24
1:  --------------
2:  65%------------
3:  65%------------
4:  70%------------
5:  75%65%----------
6:  75%65%----------
7:  75%65%----------
8:  80%70%60%--------
9:  85%75%65%--------
10:  85%75%65%--------
11:  85%75%65%55%------
12:  90%80%70%60%------
13:  95%85%75%65%------
14:  100%100%100%90%55%----
15:  100%100%100%90%55%----
16:  100%100%100%90%55%----
17:  100%100%100%100%60%50%--
18:  100%100%100%100%60%50%--
19:  100%100%100%100%60%50%--
20:  100%100%100%100%60%50%40%
The jump for level 1-4 SSIs at level 14 is due to Spell Storing Mastery doubling your proficiency bonus on those checks. I opted for that route to still allow for advantage or disadvantage to function normally.
[/sblock]And that's without any special modifiers like Guidance (note that it's on the cantrip list), Bardic Inspiration, or a source of advantage. It's a gamble, but if you aren't using your highest level spells, it's a manageable gamble - and unlike the 3.5 SSI, it's only a gamble until your next short rest (since it's fueled by craft reserve instead of slots).
In your case this is a core class feature that your guy has instead of most of the stuff a 3e artificer could do. This is what your artificer does instead of crafting a wide assortment of items which was his primary schtick in 3e. SSI is your 5e artificers CORE MECHANIC, Barbarians don't have to make a check to rage.
Barbarians also get fewer rages, and they're on a daily refresh. I don't hear you yelling in ALL CAPS to get Rage on a short-rest recharge. Rage may be their signature ability, but it's not their only choice in every battle. (This is especially true for Frenzy, which brings on a level of exhaustion when you use it, which effectively makes it 1/day if you want to keep it manageable. There's a definite gamble on Frenzy - make sure the battle's your last, because if it isn't, you're dealing with nasty exhaustion. This just isn't linked to a die roll.)

Craft reserve is a great way to limit how many items the artificer can maintain for his lesser crafts, the basic augmentations, scrolls, potions, stored spells and such, but it's largely an encounter timed resource. The spell slots used to create the items from an excellent daily resource, used in conjunction this allows you to maintain a suite of gadgets in a balanced manner. You aren't casting any more spells per day but you are using them differently. You prep a few gadgets ahead of time, and when you catch a breather you whip up a few more, supplemented by a few tricks you can use on the fly (infusions). So you're dependent on the gadgets for the more versatile and dramatic effects. Having the weapon and armor augments break that pattern probably isn't game breaking but it is jarring to an extreme.
This is a good basic argument, but it makes the assumption that craft reserve is a short rest resource (which it isn't - you don't regain potion or scroll reserve until a long rest finishes, for instance). What augments do is increase the pressure on you so you're not an entirely short-rest-driven character - the more often you augment for the day, the less often you can SSI between rests. 

This also makes the assumption that you short rest after every encounter, which simply isn't true in many games (nor in the DMG, which assumes two short rests per long rest - it's certainly possible to design encounters with this in mind that provide the appropriate daily threshold of XP-equivalent, but the individual encounters will be of setpiece size or complexity.)

By making SSIs into reliable spells that use your slots - which, unless I miss my reading, is what you're suggesting - you turn the artificer into a regular caster with every spell ever on his class list. That's something I was trying to avoid, since it's a problem from 3e (this wasn't explicitly in Goal 2, but it's part of it).

Incidentally, the "pattern" you describe isn't true either. It assumes slots power SSIs, when that's only the case if you run out of craft reserve. (This is most common on multiclass artificers, by design.) In this case, you can whip up a small number of devices (typically one to two at most levels, depending on what spell level you're copying and how many permanent items you're maintaining) between rests no problem, tapping into your spell slots if you want more. Each of these has amazing versatility by 5e standards (a small spellbook's worth of options, although the size of that book and the maximum level are quite a ways behind the wizard), but it isn't as reliable, so the artificer has incentive to keep his mad inventions simple (low-level slots - rather than throwing full-power fireballs as if he were a caster, he's the one who builds devices that solve problems, like "Who the hell ever prepares Zone of Truth?") or take a bigger risk. If he takes a breather, he'll get enough of his reserve back to try again during the next wave of the adventure. Meanwhile, if he breathes more potent and reliable magic into equipment on the fly (rather than taking the time to prepare it via scrolls of Magic Weapon or the like) and uses an augment,  he'll have less magic and fewer components left overall to build and maintain his contraptions (imagine everything as having a (M) component, which can be slowly recycled, but the augments having "consumed upon casting" on it, and it takes a long rest to build fresh components).

And even that pattern is different for the Spellforgers' Guild, who do find a way to make temporary Magic Weapon effects (augmentations) more frequently usable.

What if you made them into 1 round cantrips instead of making them run of the craft reserve system? 
I'm trying to avoid the artificer as feeling like he's casting spells, frankly. Weapon Augmentation has parallels in that it "turns" a crossbow or sword into an elemental cantrip, more or less, but since you're still attacking using a weapon, it "feels" more like a magically enhanced weapon than an elemental cantrip. And Armor Augmentation, if it lasted one round, is basically Blade Ward.

This was actually one of the reasons I was disappointed in seeing the arty as a wizard subclass. He's still a wizard, and still attacks with Fire Bolt at a higher accuracy and better damage at a longer range than a crossbow. And he has very little ability to go toe-to-toe with a hastily-enchanted mace.

EDIT: You didn't comment on my question above about augmentation, but I'll add another option now: How about turning augments (as you note, they're the pattern breakers) into infusions? By default, 1st level, concentration (1 minute) durations, which do exactly what they suggest here (nearly; they would increase the number of targets by 1 per slot level and I'd probably have armor augmentation apply against magic weapons by default). The class feature is that an artificer gets to use Int when attacking with an augmented weapon. Augmentation mastery would change the duration to 1 hour (not concentration any longer); the Spellforgers Guild would get the ability to cast them from craft reserve (including its short-rest recovery; slots are still possible if you're low on reserve). This way, every single use of craft reserve that's temporary (magecraft, SSI, alchemist bombs, spellforger augments) recovers on a short rest, with augmentation on a "daily" resource that competes with infusions instead of your inventions. The only drawback is that not all artificers will know this, and you won't have them at level 1 (I'm fine with spending one level as a crossbow junkie, but without augmentation, there's very little magic in a first-level artificer - just scrolls).

This approach only needs a slight adjustment at level 5 (as there's always something at every level that Salvage Essence appears, and at the moment that's armor augment. (I suppose I could stagger when the longer-duration or the lack-of-concentration on augments kick in.)

RealAlHazred

Here's my proposed SSI/item/slot/Infusions/schema known system:
The infusions are fine as is, you learn a limited number of an appropriate, etc, etc, etc. Fine perfect (and yes I like the weapon/armor augments as infusions, much more fitting to what I think yiou were trying to do).
Starting at whatever level you unlock SSI/scrolls, you  begin learning spell schema that determine what spells you can store or scribe. You do not have a theoretically unlimited number of schema known, I'm thinking 2 per level starting at the level you get scrolls/SSi. I'm not sure whether to limit it further by restricting where you can draw the spells from. Storing a spell expends a spell slot, and ties up an amount of craft reserve equal to 1/2 the spell slot level (rounded up), until the stored spell is used or dissipates. There is no check to use the stored spell, but if you don't use it before the time runs out you loose it. Once a stored spell is used or disperses you regain the craft reserve after a short rest. Other characters can carry Stored Spell Items, and can even activate them, although this might be a higher level ability, 7-8 maybe.
Scrolls are similar but don't dissipate, probably should cost an extra point of craft reserve, and can only be used by you, although one benefit of a guild might be the ability to write scrolls in guild schema rather than personal schema so that a fellow member can use the scroll. As long as you have a scroll the spell slot is bound up in it, and cannot be refreshed, although if you are removed form a  scroll you wrote for too long it will decay and allow you to access that spell slot and craft reserve once again.
Infusions can be cast from unused spell slots on the fly (although they may have casting time issues in some cases).
Potions can be maintained indefinitely, and they bind up a spell slot, however the craft reserve should be lower than for a scroll, and can be used by anyone. (since they're a much more limited sub-set of effects).

That's how I think it needs to work.

RealAlHazred

rampant wrote:Here's my proposed SSI/item/slot/Infusions/schema known system:
The infusions are fine as is, you learn a limited number of an appropriate, etc, etc, etc. Fine perfect (and yes I like the weapon/armor augments as infusions, much more fitting to what I think you were trying to do).
Starting at whatever level you unlock SSI/scrolls, you  begin learning spell schema that determine what spells you can store or scribe. You do not have a theoretically unlimited number of schema known, I'm thinking 2 per level starting at the level you get scrolls/SSi. I'm not sure whether to limit it further by restricting where you can draw the spells from. Storing a spell expends a spell slot, and ties up an amount of craft reserve equal to 1/2 the spell slot level (rounded up), until the stored spell is used or dissipates. There is no check to use the stored spell, but if you don't use it before the time runs out you loose it. Once a stored spell is used or disperses you regain the craft reserve after a short rest. Other characters can carry Stored Spell Items, and can even activate them, although this might be a higher level ability, 7-8 maybe.
Scrolls are similar but don't dissipate, probably should cost an extra point of craft reserve, and can only be used by you, although one benefit of a guild might be the ability to write scrolls in guild schema rather than personal schema so that a fellow member can use the scroll. As long as you have a scroll the spell slot is bound up in it, and cannot be refreshed, although if you are removed form a  scroll you wrote for too long it will decay and allow you to access that spell slot and craft reserve once again.
Infusions can be cast from unused spell slots on the fly (although they may have casting time issues in some cases).
Potions can be maintained indefinitely, and they bind up a spell slot, however the craft reserve should be lower than for a scroll, and can be used by anyone. (since they're a much more limited sub-set of effects).

That's how I think it needs to work.
It seems our biggest differences are in how SSI is handled, because if you step away from SSI and look at the rest of your suggestions, apart from preventing anyone but you from using scrolls (something you really complained about for SSIs, which are a new rules element, but apparently have no problem with for scrolls which already can be used by other people...? What gives?), and using augments as infusions, it's nearly identical to what's already present in the suggested rules (with scrolls using reserve instead of slots).

Your SSI involves removing the ability to expand your options, in effect giving the artificer a second spells known that it can prepare in advance and use other people's actions to cast with perfect reliability. This utterly destroys the action economy - a single wizard able to cast any spell he has in his spellbook is still fundamentally weaker than a wizard who gets four sets of actions to cast a single spell he's prepared.

This is fundamentally different from how I (and Keith) see SSI, which is pulling a magical rabbit out of your hat and assembling the perfect tool for the job, but like any good mad scientist or inventor, you're not sure if it'll work. (It's got a good chance of working, but players are risk-averse when it comes to spending resources, and that psychological effect is powerful.) I concur that there needs to be a limit on SSI's versatility, but I fail to see how a spellbook isn't enough of a limit (hint: the next time you play a 5e wizard, tell me how big your spellbook actually is, and notice that artificers start off with fewer schema and get them at a slower rate. Having a spellbook is not a free pass to knowing everything in the game in 5e the way it was in 3e.). If you can provide convincing contrary data (not just impassioned pleas), I'll change my mind and add another limiter in there.

One area we seem to agree on, though, is moving augmentations into infusions. How does this look as a rough outline:
-Weapon Augmentation and Armor Enhancement are different 1st level infusions.
-Weapon Augmentation transmutes the touched weapon such that one of its damage types is now acid, cold, fire, lightning, or thunder. Augmented weapons do +1d4 damage of the chosen element at 5th, 11th, and 17th levels. It lasts one minute (Concentration) or until the weapon isn't wielded any longer, and for every slot level higher than 1st, you can target an additional weapon.
-Armor Enhancement causes the touched armor or shield to provide resistance against one damage type for one minute. Armors can pick between slashing, bludgeoning, and piercing (and this lacks any special qualifier for magic weapons). Shields can pick between acid, cold, fire, lightning, and sonic. This lasts for 1 minute (concentration). Each slot higher than 1st lets you target another armor or shield.
-Spell Storing Item, as I've written it, is moved to 1st level, and gets an exception so you can use it then. (This exception might be best handled by rewriting it as an infusion, with the class feature allowing you to use it through craft reserve, similar to how the spellforgers' guild works with augmentation below. I'l have to play around with the wording a bit either way.)
-Weapon Augmentation, the feature (now at 2nd level), becomes Personal Weapon Augmentation, and simply says "You use your Intelligence modifier on attack and damage rolls with augmented weapons." It might give Weapon Augmentation as a known infusion as well.
-The level 3 Spellforgers' Guild ability, Augmentation Savant, now says "You can spend craft reserve to cast Weapon Augmentation or Armor Augmentation, even if you don't know those infusions. It costs 1 point of craft reserve per effective spell slot, and you can't cast them at a level for which you don't have a spell slot. Craft reserve spent this way recovers after a short rest."
-At level 5, replacing the Armor Augmentation class feature, is Sustained Augmentation. This extends the base duration of each augmentation to 1 hour.
-At level 9, Augmentation Mastery now says "The Weapon Augmentation and Armor Augmentation infusions no longer require concentration." 
-The Spellforgers' Guild keeps the ability to also remove Concentration from Magic Weapon, Magic Armor, and Elemental Weapon; I'm not 100% sure about where in the progression it'll fit. It won't give them free access to those particular infusions the way that its Augmentation Savant does. The reason for the double standard is that Weapon Augmentation or Armor Augmentation doesn't mess with the accuracy curve at all, while these three infusions definitely do. That's not a problem, but it's also not something that 5e typically hands out on a refresh.
-The old ability to use d6s for augmented weapons or select a broader range of damage types is removed. I don't think it's terribly problematic or anything, it's just that it's rare for 5e abilities to do more than one thing, and this particular progression is rather smooth, I think. It also leaves paladins as the undisputed masters of radiant damage (appropriate).

RealAlHazred

Both times Keith made the artificer SSI was a single infusion, not a core class feature. If your guy had enough else going for him It'd be different, but he doesn't. No SSI as I proposed does not allow you to cast with perfect reliability, you just don't have impaired reliability the spells are no more reliable or unreliable than normal. It does not destroy the action economy because the allies using the items are using their action to trigger it, it's roughly analogous to the party's demo expert handing everyone a makeshift grenade before a fight. 

RealAlHazred

Here's why it breaks the action economy: It allows you to spend other people's actions to cast your spells. In effect, this quadruples your output as a spellcaster - and a spellcaster drawing from any spell list. That's an action economy breaker.

It's also a buff breaker, because the fighter (Con-dependent, Con-proficient, normally doesn't have any use for his concentration) can pick up your buff SSI, and boom, you've got an extra concentration slot. You worry about having access to spells from multiple lists breaking the game, then take something with access to multiple lists and double or triple the number of concentration spells which can run at the same time. 

Your system puts a noose on the artificer's versatility (its signature feel - see Goal 2) and simultaneously turns SSI into "everyone on the team can now cast and concentrate on any spell I want", bound only by the limits of the artificer's spells known (which dramatically changes how the artificer plays - he's supposed to buff the team, not transform them all into magicians). 

And whether something is listed as a class feature or a signature spell is a matter of degree. Look at the arcane trickster and mage hand (in any edition). Compare Wild Shape and Polymorph (again, in any edition). 

Also, normal wizards cast with perfect reliability - they say they're casting a spell and the spell happens (barring a counterspell, but that's a corner case). In your system, you say you're using an SSI, and the SSI triggers. That's perfect reliability. 

I'll be making the shift from features to infusions on the augments tomorrow. Any comments on that?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases