D&D 5E Artificer, first class since PHB. Your expectations?

Now I am thinking, conjecturing, and if the next class will be the psionic mystic... which after and when?

I'm not sure they'd ever get around to another additional class during this addition, but we'll see. I think the first real hints will come with whatever setting they start developing for 5e next. If it is Dark Sun (which may well be the most popular choice) they will need to develop a psionics system and psions.

MarkB

Legend
Can artificer craft single-use magic item as tattoos, runes and talismans? A tattoo with feather fall spell could save your PC's life whe this suffers a pitfall trap.
Not specifically, but the "Everyday magic items" section includes rules for cheaply and quickly crafting common magic items, making them much more accessible, and when combined with the artificer's 10th-level feature that further reduces both the costs and crafting times of common and uncommon magic items, they can essentially just churn out common consumable magic items very quickly for pocket change.

Could a mage hand cantrip to be used for a throwing knife with returning power?
No, but a returning weapon is one of the items artificers can create as an infusion.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
It originated in late classical Egypt (which in terms of elite culture was part of the western world at the time) but became an Arab thing (al kimiya, "Egyptian Science") until the high middle ages when the tradition moved back to Europe, reaching its height in the Renaissance.
That’s a folk etymology created by a turn of the 20th century Egyptologist.

The word actually means “The Fusing or Casting of Metal,” from Arabic participle “al” meaning “The” and Greek “Khēmia” (which does, in fact, come from Egyptian “khmi” meaning the “Black Earth” of the Nile).

The Arabs got it from the Greeks, not the Egyptians, but the art does date back to the Bronze Era (as you’d think, given that it’s tied to the art of metallurgy).

That’s a folk etymology created by a turn of the 20th century Egyptologist.

The word actually means “The Fusing or Casting of Metal,” from Arabic participle “al” meaning “The” and Greek “Khēmia” (which does, in fact, come from Egyptian “khmi” meaning the “Black Earth” of the Nile).

The Arabs got it from the Greeks, not the Egyptians, but the art does date back to the Bronze Era (as you’d think, given that it’s tied to the art of metallurgy).

Apologies if I got the etymology wrong, it really isn't relevant to the narrative though.

The progenitors of the known tradition were living in Roman Egypt, writing in Greek, and of various ethnicities (the Roman mediterranean was quite cosmopolitan). They claimed their teachings were derived from truly ancient Egyptian mysteries. This was the fashion with a great deal of esoteric knowledge, so while there may be some smattering of half-understood pharaonic Egyptian mystery religion thrown in it is almost certainly a fanciful pettigree above all else. Culturally it was basically straight Greek, but they claimed it was Egyptian because that had more caché for trying to sell something as filled with ancient lost knowledge. Greco-Roman magical rituals were also filled with Egyptian gods, often syncretized with Greek ones (like Hermes/Thoth).

But yes, the alchemists of the Arab world got their tradition from the alchemists of the Hellenistic world. I wouldn't necessarily call all of the latter Greeks, but then again many of the prior shouldn't necessarily be called Arabs. They both associated it with Egypt.

The blood hunter would be perfect for the return of Ravenloft, I mean, the demiplane of dread. Some players like a little piece of monster, like wearing a Halloween costume, or if they can, playing monsters..

If the warlord is a base class, I think it will be in a sourcebook about miniatures, skirmishes warbands or mass battles. And then I will miss the martial maneuvers of the white raven school.

Should psiartificers be allowed in Dark Sun?

The only thing what is clear is it's has to be a concept opened to different subclasses.

gyor

Legend
The blood hunter would be perfect for the return of Ravenloft, I mean, the demiplane of dread. Some players like a little piece of monster, like wearing a Halloween costume, or if they can, playing monsters..

If the warlord is a base class, I think it will be in a sourcebook about miniatures, skirmishes warbands or mass battles. And then I will miss the martial maneuvers of the white raven school.

Should psiartificers be allowed in Dark Sun?

The only thing what is clear is it's has to be a concept opened to different subclasses.

Or Innistrad.

We don't know future plans about Innistrad. Innistrad is Castlevania or the Walking Dead, the monsters are front of you knocking your door, and Ravenloft is more Buffy vampire slayer or X-Files about investigation where and who is the monster to hunt it and stop the crimes, with some supernatural conspirations and fighting against the within darkness.

gyor

Legend
We don't know future plans about Innistrad. Innistrad is Castlevania or the Walking Dead, the monsters are front of you knocking your door, and Ravenloft is more Buffy vampire slayer or X-Files about investigation where and who is the monster to hunt it and stop the crimes, with some supernatural conspirations and fighting against the within darkness.

Blood Hunter fits both (and Exandia of course).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases