D&D 5E At what level does play become "high level"?

At what character levels does play become "high level"?

• 1st level

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2nd level

• 3rd level

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • 4th level

• 5th level

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • 6th level

• 7th level

• 8th level

• 9th level

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • 10th level

Votes: 17 12.9%
  • 11th level

Votes: 51 38.6%
  • 12th level

Votes: 13 9.8%
  • 13th level

Votes: 15 11.4%
  • 14th level

Votes: 7 5.3%
  • 15th level

Votes: 13 9.8%
  • 16th level

Votes: 7 5.3%
  • 17th level

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • 18th level

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • 19th level

• 20th level

• Other (specify in comments)

• Chicken tenders /w fries and ketchup

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Heh, in my own personal experience, I could count the number of times a campaign I've been part of that has lasted beyond 10th level one hand. Once in 1.5e (an admixture of 1e and 2e) where we got to 17th level or so, another in 3e (actually getting into epic levels), and three in 5e (none past 15th level, though). I've also played in an epic-level 3.5e campaign, but that started at 20th level and proceded from there so it doesn't really count.
I have one game that started at level 12 and went to level 14 (2nd ed). Two campaigns that stopped at level 9 (one 2nd ed, one 3.X), one at level 8 in 5e (this one has a 50/50 chance of restarting though), and one ongoing campaign at level 9 (pathfinder).

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Of course it does. If a new book comes out that extend the game to level 40, is level 20 now mid level?
Let me use money as an example of why what you say isn't true. If what you say is true and high level becomes 9th just because most people never go past that level, then the following becomes true as well. Since 80% of the population never goes past 92k a year income, then 92k makes you rich(high level). Do you see why that doesn't work?

What makes you rich(high level) doesn't change just because you and most others never reach it. High level is 13th level+, regardless of how many ever get there. The rest of you stay low level(poor) or mid level(middle class).

Ace

Adventurer
Yep. I was quite surprised how many apparent groups had stopped before level 20 by their own volition. I understand IRL constraints but it's never a happy occasion.

I love playing my character and seeing a wide gap of growth from 1st to up to level 17+ and sometimes we start at level 11+ just because we like to feel like dragonslaying badasses as soon as possible.

I've never been in a game where we got above eight level or so in any edition and I've played 1,2,3X and 5.

Most DM's simply refuse to run higher level games or the interest peters out and we move onto something else.

As for a reason for not running, they simply can't cope with higher magic levels and the innate assumptions of higher level D&D. I've noticed this across the board, it just stops being fun on the DM's end.

Just my opinion here but if D&D didn't have such an installed player base and hadn't been built around magic users as artillery, I think the default games would not not lower power per se, D&D in early editions had less power creep but with much less powerful magic.

Asisreo

Patron Badass
I've never been in a game where we got above eight level or so in any edition and I've played 1,2,3X and 5.

Most DM's simply refuse to run higher level games or the interest peters out and we move onto something else.

As for a reason for not running, they simply can't cope with higher magic levels and the innate assumptions of higher level D&D. I've noticed this across the board, it just stops being fun on the DM's end.

Just my opinion here but if D&D didn't have such an installed player base and hadn't been built around magic users as artillery, I think the default games would not not lower power per se, D&D in early editions had less power creep but with much less powerful magic.
Its fun on my end. If I could, I'd love to run a high-level D&D game for everyone in the forum. 😁Unfortunately, that wouldn't be practical.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Its fun on my end. If I could, I'd love to run a high-level D&D game for everyone in the forum. 😁Unfortunately, that wouldn't be practical.
Yeah. I find it both fun and easy to do. And it never seemed hard for the DMs I've played with, either. Well, we're all different. :)

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Do you mean "at what level do wizards completely invalidate the Exploration Pillar of the game/Ranger class?"

If so, level 9.

If you just mean high level play, I did levels 9, 10, and 11. As many people have stated earlier, it's pretty fuzzy, but the line is around there.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Do you mean "at what level do wizards completely invalidate the Exploration Pillar of the game/Ranger class?"

If so, level 9.

If you just mean high level play, I did levels 9, 10, and 11. As many people have stated earlier, it's pretty fuzzy, but the line is around there.
Except that by definition, those are middle levels. Exploration also isn't invalidated at level 9 or 10 or 11 or 15 or even 20. It just changes.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Let me use money as an example of why what you say isn't true. If what you say is true and high level becomes 9th just because most people never go past that level, then the following becomes true as well. Since 80% of the population never goes past 92k a year income, then 92k makes you rich(high level). Do you see why that doesn't work?

What makes you rich(high level) doesn't change just because you and most others never reach it. High level is 13th level+, regardless of how many ever get there. The rest of you stay low level(poor) or mid level(middle class).
Yes, if I made 92k I would consider myself rich.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Sure, but that just means that most don't play to high level. It doesn't alter what is high level for the game.
Notice how the lowest level which many people voted for that is "high" level is level 9 (which is the 2nd most common vote)? Only 8 votes out of the current 122 voted below level 9.

So, while you might not consider 9th level "high level" it is the lowest of the levels which many people do consider "high level."

In terms of your money example, 92K might not seem "rich" to you, but damn it is very rich to me and many others who are lucky to make half that amount!

Many people feel 9th is high level for many reasons, 5th level spells being a very big part of that. If you compare many 4th and lower level spells to 5th level, 5th level spells are clearly way above the curve! Teleportation Circle, Raise Dead, Wall of Force, Reincarnate, Dominate Person, Hallow, Insect Plague, and many, many others are so far more powerful than any spell that comes before them. The same really can't be said of many lower level spells by comparing spell levels IMO--are the higher ones more powerful? Sure, but not to the extend level 5 spells are. Most players salivate at the idea of getting their level 5 spells!

By level 9 every class has obtained their second or even third subclass feature, a second (or third) feat, etc.

I'm not saying level 11 certain isn't appropriate for "high level" for many players, but I wouldn't discredit those you feel 9th level is "high" when a lot of games don't make it to 11th... shrug

Remove ads