D&D 5E At what level does play become "high level"?

At what character levels does play become "high level"?

• 1st level

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2nd level

• 3rd level

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • 4th level

• 5th level

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • 6th level

• 7th level

• 8th level

• 9th level

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • 10th level

Votes: 17 12.9%
  • 11th level

Votes: 51 38.6%
  • 12th level

Votes: 13 9.8%
  • 13th level

Votes: 15 11.4%
  • 14th level

Votes: 7 5.3%
  • 15th level

Votes: 13 9.8%
  • 16th level

Votes: 7 5.3%
  • 17th level

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • 18th level

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • 19th level

• 20th level

• Other (specify in comments)

• Chicken tenders /w fries and ketchup

Imagine you're reading a discussing 5e D&D with someone and they say that they have "just gotten to high level" in their campaign.

What level or levels do you think this person is talking about?

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I think it's pretty line can be pretty fuzzy. I voted for 9th, which I think would be the lowest I'd consider high level. That's where 5th-level spells come in with options like Raise Dead and teleportation circle, which not only make the PCs more powerful but can fundamentally alter the style of the game.
Yeah, over all the editions (except maybe 4e?) 5th-level has more or less been the 'mid-level' threshold while 9th has arguably been the 'high-level' threshold; and as you say it's due to the abilities parties tend to get at those levels.

At 5th they get useful area-effect damage, flight, a bunch of significant curative spells (including Revivify in 5e), and the martials are starchy enough to be able to take a few hits from most foes before dropping.

At 9th they get Raise Dead, long-range travel including inter-planar, and useful divinations; and by now the martials are badass. In 1e-2e, 9th was also 'name level'; where your focus could (but didn't have to) turn from all-the-time adventuring to other things like stronghold building or politics or whatever.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
I don't really think there's a set and solid numerical answer; I think it depends on the setting and playstyle. I think "high-level" starts when the threats to the party have to come from somewhere other than the setting world in order to be credible threats. Even given the same setting, that point is probably going to vary from campaign-to-campaign, but I suspect every DM will know when they're there.

Vael

Legend
9th to 11th, roughly. I considered 6th level and higher spells to be "high level" (I like playing casters)

Paragon tier, to use 4e parlance.

I have yet to play high level in 5e. We reached 9th at the end of Curse of Strahd, but that was the end of the campaign.

Remove ads