At-will bardic-style inspiration - balanced?

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Well, this is in the context of a class that's intended to be a noncombatant. Not pacifist, rather, I want to give them an at-will option that is competitive with weapon or cantrip attacks, but instead gives other characters an offensive buff. Ideally it wouldn't be a Commander's Strike clone, where the character sacrifices an action to give someone else an attack. I'm also thinking of an option where the character can give someone else a free use of the Ready action, but the character is the one that determines the trigger. Gives a bit of a "tactician" vibe, but prevents the issue of "you're telling my character what to do".

I might consider a "bonus action buff" or "reaction buffs" - things that don't use your action.
  • When a character moves to within 5 feet of an enemy that you are within 5 feet of, use your reaction to grant +CHA or +INT damage on their next attack
  • When a character hits an enemy that you hit on your last turn, they can make a saving throw of their choice.
  • Look the Mastermind's bonus-action Help (perhaps at range if that's all they get)
  • Give the next attack +1 to hit

Let them do their normal turn, and give them something to do in addition to smackin' around goblins or something. Unless it's important that they can give up their turn to buff? (In which case, giving up their action to grant +1d8 damage to an ally's attack might be fine numbers-wise, though it might still struggle in the Feel of it).

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Let them do their normal turn, and give them something to do in addition to smackin' around goblins or something. Unless it's important that they can give up their turn to buff? (In which case, giving up their action to grant +1d8 damage to an ally's attack might be fine numbers-wise, though it might still struggle in the Feel of it).
Ideally, I want an ability that's superior to a straight cantrip cast damage (so better than a fire bolt's 5.5 average damage * to-hit chance), but probably not quite as good as an optimized build focused on leveraging greenflame blade or something. If it's an Int-based class, I have to assume people taking high elf and having at least one cantrip option open to them, or dipping wizard at some point.

And yes, for the feel of the class I want the baseline assumption to be that a direct attack roll is only something done in out of the ordinary circumstances. The bread and butter option should be this buff. (Much like a 4e lazylord's main option was Commander's Strike, but I'm trying to make something more mechanically interesting than that.)

mellored

Legend
Well, this is in the context of a class that's intended to be a noncombatant. Not pacifist, rather, I want to give them an at-will option that is competitive with weapon or cantrip attacks, but instead gives other characters an offensive buff. Ideally it wouldn't be a Commander's Strike clone, where the character sacrifices an action to give someone else an attack. I'm also thinking of an option where the character can give someone else a free use of the Ready action, but the character is the one that determines the trigger. Gives a bit of a "tactician" vibe, but prevents the issue of "you're telling my character what to do".
Then I would focus on +/- damage.

The next time the target is hit, it takes 1d6 extra damage. Scaling to the next 2 times, 3 times, and 4 times. Which is cantrip even damage.

As a reaction you can reduce damage to an ally. Reducing damage by 1d6+ half your class level.

You need to be careful adding to d20 rolls, since it scales automatically. Bless is still valuable at level 12, but burning hands needs to be upgraded into fireball. Not impossible to add some (paladin ' auras) but they need to be rare.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Then I would focus on +/- damage.

The next time the target is hit, it takes 1d6 extra damage. Scaling to the next 2 times, 3 times, and 4 times. Which is cantrip even damage.

You need to be careful adding to d20 rolls, since it scales automatically. Bless is still valuable at level 12, but burning hands needs to be upgraded into fireball. Not impossible to add some (paladin ' auras) but they need to be rare.
Hmm. Since the class is a non-spellcaster, I wonder if using a rogue-style progression and having the damage increase as 1d6/2 levels would be more appropriate. Like an "Identify Weak Spot" ability, where you can give an ally sneak attack level damage on their next attack versus a chosen enemy. If they don't hit, it doesn't trigger and the buff is lost. That would be the closest analog to rogue damage, since it can't be used more than once per round, and it's still dependent on a hit. And swashbuckler rogue already shows that nearly 100% chance to sneak attack isn't really overpowered. Maybe make it 1d4/2 to be safe.

mellored

Legend
Hmm. Since the class is a non-spellcaster, I wonder if using a rogue-style progression and having the damage increase as 1d6/2 levels would be more appropriate. Like an "Identify Weak Spot" ability, where you can give an ally sneak attack level damage on their next attack versus a chosen enemy. If they don't hit, it doesn't trigger and the buff is lost. That would be the closest analog to rogue damage, since it can't be used more than once per round, and it's still dependent on a hit. And swashbuckler rogue already shows that nearly 100% chance to sneak attack isn't really overpowered. Maybe make it 1d4/2 to be safe.
It depends on what other abilities you give them. But rogue is probably a good place to start.
Also a rouge can miss. So take accuracy into account.

jgsugden

Legend
That is really no different than hiring a rogue NPC to fight alongside you..
I am going to disagree on that statement. Hiring a low level rogue to make some attacks for you means that the rogue is going to be in combat and will us the rogue's attack bonus and damage. They're going to be in a targetable position, have a lower chance to hit, and do relatively little damage compared to the higher level PC that hired the rogue.

This inspirer can be out of sight of the enemy. Further, it is enhancing the chance to hit for a PC that will likely do a lot more damage on a hit than the NPCs and may deal conditions or effects on a hit. The bonus being granted is not advantage, so it stacks with advantage.

If you give a PC fighter with great weapon master a choice between a follower with this ability or a low level rogue, the fighter would be very well se4rved choosing the inspiring PC.

Satyrn

First Post
Oh. We're not discussing the same thing. You're referring to the original idea, I was referring to the modifications later in the conversation.

Remove ads