• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

At Will teleporting

Satyrn

First Post
lol roll your 22d6 for that short sword attack! Yeah I thought about it being too strong. Maybe that could be it's capstone? Still too strong? lol

I was thinking advantage would be a given tbh. Maybe instead of insta crits, it could just gain the extended crit range the Champion does.

Or maybe Rogue was a poor choice...

Rogue is an excellent choice. From your earlier post, I was picturing it as an alternate sort of arcane trickster, and was saying "sweet!"

The extended crit range makes sense.

mellored

Legend
IMO:

Night Crawler: A blue race with 2 fingers and toes, and tail. Their origin is unknown, but rumors suggest they are some combination of elf, changeling, and theiflings. Often demonized and hunted, they tend to spook easily, often running away at the first sign of trouble. They however generally curious, cleaver, and peaceful.
+2 Dex, +1 Int
Speed 30
Darkvision 30'

Teleport: You can teleport at-will on your turn, or as a reaction after you are hit or missed with an attacked, but doing so is draining. You take 1 point of damage for each 5' you teleport. You do not need to see where you teleport, but if you try and teleport into a solid object or occupied space, you fail and take twice the force damage. You can also bring 1 willing creature, or 200 lbs of extra weight, by taking double the damage (4x the damage if you teleport into a wall).. The teleporting also makes a small "Bamf" sound at both your entrance and exit that can be heard nearby.

Prehensile tail: You can use your tail to hold things, giving you 1 extra item interaction per turn, though it's not as deft as your hands. Any attack or skill check made with your tail has disadvantage, and you cannot benefit from holding a shield, or reload a weapon with it. In addition, you have advantage on any check to remain balanced.

Shadow Bending: You can blend in with the shadows. You can make stealth checks in dim light, as if you were in total darkness. In addition, if you hide in darkness, creatures cannot use darkvision to see you.

Comical Vistage: Your blue skin and strange hands make it difficult for people to take you seriously. You have disadvantage on all charisma checks.

Last edited:

sydbar

Explorer
Last season on Save or Dice Cody from Taking 20 play tested a Mistwalker that could teleport, and it didn't seem too powerful.

CTurbo

Explorer
IMO:

Night Crawler: A blue race with 2 fingers and toes, and tail. Their origin is unknown, but rumors suggest they are some combination of elf, changeling, and theiflings. Often demonized and hunted, they tend to spook easily, often running away at the first sign of trouble. They however generally curious, cleaver, and peaceful.
+2 Dex, +1 Int
Speed 30
Darkvision 30'

Teleport: You can teleport at-will on your turn, or as a reaction after you are hit or missed with an attacked, but doing so is draining. You take 1 point of damage for each 5' you teleport. You do not need to see where you teleport, but if you try and teleport into a solid object or occupied space, you fail and take twice the force damage. You can also bring 1 willing creature, or 200 lbs of extra weight, by taking double the damage (4x the damage if you teleport into a wall).. The teleporting also makes a small "Bamf" sound at both your entrance and exit that can be heard nearby.

Prehensile tail: You can use your tail to hold things, giving you 1 extra item interaction per turn, though it's not as deft as your hands. Any attack or skill check made with your tail has disadvantage, and you cannot benefit from holding a shield, or reload a weapon with it. In addition, you have advantage on any check to remain balanced.

Shadow Bending: You can blend in with the shadows. You can make stealth checks in dim light, as if you were in total darkness. In addition, if you hide in darkness, creatures cannot use darkvision to see you.

Comical Vistage: Your blue skin and strange hands make it difficult for people to take you seriously. You have disadvantage on all charisma checks.

Something tells me that you have thought about this before? I like everything about it, but is 1 point of damage per 5ft too steep? Should there not be few freebies in there before it becomes draining like teleport a number of times equal to Int or Wis before taking damage? Or maybe 1 damage per 10ft.

It's not that it's necessarily overpowered, as much as it raises the magic level of the setting. Any sort of at-will magic is going to make the world more fantastical than it already was. If you don't care about the world getting weird, then feel free to make a class or race or whatever that can use its normal movement to teleport at a cost of 2' per every 1' of movement.

Teleporting to avoid attacks can be a balance issue. Currently, the game is balanced around the idea that you can spend your reaction to make an attack have disadvantage, and that's considered a strong feature. If you can spend your reaction to avoid an attack entirely, then that's probably overpowered, even if it does one damage to you in the process.

MarkB

Legend
The 3.5e Warlock could gain at-will Dimension Door. It was pretty powerful, but not necessarily gamebreaking. Then again, I do recall taking one through a play-by-forum game of White Plume Mountain, and finding his mobility extremely useful at circumventing several of the environmental puzzles.

rgoodbb

Adventurer
Teleporting is more powerful than flight in cases. Escape restrained ect. conditions. Unconscious and not falling, bamphing through the door.

Should take your action to teleport. Cannot teleport again until you have spent a round not moving ala Tabaxi movement. Otherwise probably way overpowered for me.

Eladrin, Conjurer 6 (Benign Transposition Recharge), Shadow Monk 6 Dex and Int gets a fair amount with misty step spell as well as racial plus thunderstep and two or three other spells at higher level. Add Magic items and you have more teleportation than you need really.

I remember in 4th I had a Cleric/Monk hybrid that could Teleport at will with benefits and that was pretty cool. But all characters were more like superheroes in 4th.

How often would you really need it in this edition?

CTurbo

Explorer
Originally, the idea was more for flavor than powergaming. Obviously, the more I thought about it, the more useful it seemed to be.

I have an idea. I usually don't like implementing mechanics that slow the game down, but how about each time you teleport, there is a chance of suffering exhaustion? Maybe after each teleport, you roll a d20. On a 1, you suffer 1 level of exhaustion. If you teleport again before taking a short rest, roll a d20 again, but this time you suffer 1 level of exhaustion if you roll a 1 or 2, then increase the chance +5% for each subsequent time you choose to teleport.

Last edited:

Maybe if you take away the offence potential (which instantly makes people mistrust it) by making it an Action you'll be able to expand on what it can do outside of combat so you feel more bamfy.

So without the bamf and Attack option you give yourself more space to fiddle with the utility knob, so you can do things like;

As an Action you can bamf 60ft to an unoccupied space you can see.

Or...
As an Action you can bamf 30ft to an unoccupied space you can see with one willing creature you touch.

Or...
As an Action you can bamf 30ft to an unoccupied space, no sight required.

Remove ads