D&D (2024) Martial vs Caster: Removing the "Magical Dependencies" of high level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSword

Legend
After a point, increasing difficulty just means turning off the toys.

Im sure someone will quip "well just get creative", but creativity doesn't get you around a bunch of spammed i-win buttons. The game fundamentally can't support it as is; adding more isn't going to suddenly make everything click.
Why can’t the game support a high level magic party? Legendary creatures, mage slaying assassins, high level caster foes, a-symmetrical threats, multiple waves of threats, doomsday clocks, arbitrary plane spanning challenges, problems that can only be solved with the right combinations of magic… why can’t these be used to challenge high level casters?

Chaosmancer sitting on the docks with his Druid casting control water? The ships are flying sky chariot, each with its own ship mage.

Hussar

Legend
Wow. I posted my last post without realizing how far back I was. Then I read the intervening posts and I realized that the conversation has made zero progress because the usual suspects are so intent on making sure the conversation never actually happens.

I gotta ask. After three THOUSAND posts, if you honestly don’t believe there is any need for a mythic warrior, what in the name of little fishies are you doing in this thread?

We had FINALY made some progress. And it all flushed down the tubes.

After a point, increasing difficulty just means turning off the toys.
Same can be said for the uber-melee fighter when one introduces
  • a flying combatant
  • one that keeps moving around
  • opponents that become invisible
  • use lighting conditions
  • phase in-and-out of existence
  • change the environment continuously
...etc

It is only when it is done to the casters that people seem to mind and throw their toys out the cot.
Fighters have to deal with being disabled, their shields or weapons being sundered...etc same should be allowed against casters.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
I'd say 4e was it's own thing. It is high level magic but put that stuff into rituals as a party resource.

Fighters in 4e are surprisingly mundane (minus Paragon Path and Epic Destiny) with a few exceptions that aren't really that crazy. They mostly attack with weapons, mark, and inflict conditions.

The difference of course is that Wizards were nerfed. They no longer have in-encounter mechanic avoiders and have to play within the same system of HP attrition. They do have more permissions than the Fighter -- elemental damage, summons, walls, teleport, etc. But the gap is narrowed in effect so it doesn't feel so bad.
Careful, if you talk about how great 4e Fighters were, someone is likely to bring up how "Come and Get It" was mind control...

Honestly, 4e's magic level was fairly tame compared to 3e, and by design. Most Powers only impacted the game for a single turn, "save ends" effects were generally worse than "until your next turn", and Rituals took a good chunk of time and money...and money was a secondary xp track. Most magic items were fairly mundane in their effect; one of the best boot items was the low-level Acrobat Boots that let you stand up from prone as a minor action! There were precious few open-ended effects; almost everything did exactly what was printed on the tin. This turned out to be a double-edged sword; on the one hand, it helped the game be better balanced mechanically. But it turns out that what a lot of people expect from D&D is not mechanics, but PRESENTATION (as MegaMind would say)!

They wanted evocative descriptions, deep lore, and things that inspired one's imagination. They wanted free license to be creative with the use of their abilities, and DM's wanted to feel like they could make ad hoc rulings on how Power X interacts with Situation 38C.

WotC made the mistake of thinking that the players and the DM's, left to their own devices, would create flavor- this, I think, is what Micah Sweet's arguments upthread boil down to. D&D is a game of imagination, FIRST.

If the rules don't spark one's imagination, they're so much bland mush to a lot of people. See, I myself am the type of person who can generate my own stories and lore, but I do admit, I am a lore junkie. I miss the old 2e/3e setting books full of interesting tidbits about settings. And I do appreciate how even a game like GURPS manages to fit in a few evocative bits to make someone go "Hm, now that sounds interesting".

Mechanics, even well written ones, don't make a character or a setting beyond "I want to play Class X with Subclass Y" or "The Tortles are a major race in my setting".

Unfortunately, what continues to baffle me about 5e is that, while there certainly is a lot more room to negotiate with the rules set (and boy are there a lot of corner cases), the game feels a lot less focused on description and lore than it's predecessors. Even the art comes off as kind of bland; I can point to many examples of 2e (and a few 4e) art pieces that made me go "oh man, I want to do something with THIS", but to a degree with 3e and to a greater degree with 5e, the art just makes me go "eh."

And yet, it remains very popular, despite feeling (to me) like a perpetually unfinished product. Even it's default setting has barely any info on parts of the world beyond a single coastline!

Back to the point at hand, while I fully agree that flavor for a class is what you make of it, the questions remain:

What will excite people to play this class? Cool abilities?

Is this just the Warblade/Swordsage all over again? An awesome idea that was largely rejected by the community?

And again, thinking of the Warblade, can a mythic martial really coexist with the Fighter, without people thinking that it's a "Fighter replacement"?

If you make a fantastic fighting class that's more in line with what casters do, what's it's niche? The game already has fighting-men and casters. Will it really feel unique, or just another flavor of what we already got (a big problem with the casters already, IMO).

And are we just doing an end run around AD&D style magic items, which were supposed to patch character classes in the first place by making new abilities something you went out and acquired, not merely handed to you (thus making the idea of going out and adventuring exciting?).

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Careful, if you talk about how great 4e Fighters were, someone is likely to bring up how "Come and Get It" was mind control...

Honestly, 4e's magic level was fairly tame compared to 3e, and by design. Most Powers only impacted the game for a single turn, "save ends" effects were generally worse than "until your next turn", and Rituals took a good chunk of time and money...and money was a secondary xp track. Most magic items were fairly mundane in their effect; one of the best boot items was the low-level Acrobat Boots that let you stand up from prone as a minor action! There were precious few open-ended effects; almost everything did exactly what was printed on the tin. This turned out to be a double-edged sword; on the one hand, it helped the game be better balanced mechanically. But it turns out that what a lot of people expect from D&D is not mechanics, but PRESENTATION (as MegaMind would say)!

They wanted evocative descriptions, deep lore, and things that inspired one's imagination. They wanted free license to be creative with the use of their abilities, and DM's wanted to feel like they could make ad hoc rulings on how Power X interacts with Situation 38C.

WotC made the mistake of thinking that the players and the DM's, left to their own devices, would create flavor- this, I think, is what Micah Sweet's arguments upthread boil down to. D&D is a game of imagination, FIRST.

If the rules don't spark one's imagination, they're so much bland mush to a lot of people. See, I myself am the type of person who can generate my own stories and lore, but I do admit, I am a lore junkie. I miss the old 2e/3e setting books full of interesting tidbits about settings. And I do appreciate how even a game like GURPS manages to fit in a few evocative bits to make someone go "Hm, now that sounds interesting".

Mechanics, even well written ones, don't make a character or a setting beyond "I want to play Class X with Subclass Y" or "The Tortles are a major race in my setting".

Unfortunately, what continues to baffle me about 5e is that, while there certainly is a lot more room to negotiate with the rules set (and boy are there a lot of corner cases), the game feels a lot less focused on description and lore than it's predecessors. Even the art comes off as kind of bland; I can point to many examples of 2e (and a few 4e) art pieces that made me go "oh man, I want to do something with THIS", but to a degree with 3e and to a greater degree with 5e, the art just makes me go "eh."

And yet, it remains very popular, despite feeling (to me) like a perpetually unfinished product. Even it's default setting has barely any info on parts of the world beyond a single coastline!

Back to the point at hand, while I fully agree that flavor for a class is what you make of it, the questions remain:

What will excite people to play this class? Cool abilities?

Is this just the Warblade/Swordsage all over again? An awesome idea that was largely rejected by the community?

And again, thinking of the Warblade, can a mythic martial really coexist with the Fighter, without people thinking that it's a "Fighter replacement"?

If you make a fantastic fighting class that's more in line with what casters do, what's it's niche? The game already has fighting-men and casters. Will it really feel unique, or just another flavor of what we already got (a big problem with the casters already, IMO).

And are we just doing an end run around AD&D style magic items, which were supposed to patch character classes in the first place by making new abilities something you went out and acquired, not merely handed to you (thus making the idea of going out and adventuring exciting?).
Absolutely this. I think a lot of folks didn't see 4e as playing in a fantasy world so much as a balance-prioritized rule set that it's your responsibility to build a game around. I know that's not fair to what they actually produced, but I can easily see many people feeling that way. I certainly did. The mechanics were the priority for the first and possibly only time in the history of D&D, from where I was standing, and a lot of people want that imagined, inspiring fantasy world to get top billing. That was my original concern about the mythic martial: I had and still have no problem with its existence, but wanted it to prioritize its narrative.

But all that should be water under the bridge. I would love to get back to design.

Same can be said for the uber-melee fighter when one introduces
  • a flying combatant
  • one that keeps moving around
  • opponents that become invisible
  • use lighting conditions
  • phase in-and-out of existence
  • change the environment continuously
...etc

Only one of those things (phasing) are something that requires some mythical, genre breaking martial to deal with, and even then. If multiple fantasy worlds can say silver affects ghosts, theres your effective answer.

Ez.

It is only when it is done to the casters that people seem to mind and throw their toys out the cot.
Fighters have to deal with being disabled, their shields or weapons being sundered...etc same should be allowed against casters.

The issue isn't casters merely being "countered". Countering something in a game doesn't deny that thing to someone.

Turning it off, however, does. Theres a difference between countering a blade with a shield, and just taking away the blade because reasons.

For some reason despite a whole lot of insistence on fairness, a lot of rhetoric in this topic is only applying it one way.

My position is, and always has been, that you have to approach this problem in a way that satisfies all the revelant partied involved. Not just Martials, Not just Mages, Not just DMs, not just Designers.

If you're neglecting the needs and wants of any of those, your solution is DOA.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
As a reaction Megor pounds the ground with his maul and makes a wall of spiked earth that blocks the drow's death ray.
Then on my turn, Megor slams into the rock wall he created last turn to make a 60 ft cone of earth in front of him than deals... 41 blungeoning... Save for half.

As a reaction Megor pounds the ground with his maul and makes a wall of spiked earth that blocks the drow's death ray.
Then on my turn, Megor slams into the rock wall he created last turn to make a 60 ft cone of earth in front of him than deals... 41 blungeoning... Save for half.

None of that is a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads