• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Attacking ONLY with your off-hand weapon?

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
Say a character, who is right handed, is fighting with a longsword and spiked shield.

If he wants to use a standard action to attack only with his spiked shield, does he suffer any penalties for it being in his off-hand?

The only info I can find regarding off-hand penalties is in regards to making an additional attack with the off-hand weapon, which isn't what I mean.

Thanks in advance.

CalrinAlshaw

First Post
Well, I'd assume you get to attack without any penalty, seeing as how the old "ambidexterity" is rolled into the proficiency "two weapon fighting" Or you could assign just a -2 for the off hand.

Calrin Alshaw

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Since they got rid of ambidexterity in 3.5 there is no concept of handedness and the character would be able to make a single attack with either a weapon in his right hand or a weapon (or shield) in his left hand with equal facility.

Cheers

reiella

Explorer
More or less, no penalty here, but a slight clarification (personal opinion albiet, follows)

I had thought that the handedness described in the Ambidexterity feat was mostly 'irrelevant' for combat unless you were fighting with two weapons; and that adventurers were equally proficent with either hand. That might have just been my odd perception though given that handedness is only mentioned once in the core books :).

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
Plane Sailing said:
Since they got rid of ambidexterity in 3.5 there is no concept of handedness and the character would be able to make a single attack with either a weapon in his right hand or a weapon (or shield) in his left hand with equal facility.

Cheers

Not so. Check the glossary under off-hand. It states (in the 3.5 PHB) the penalties for fighting with a weapon in the off-hand (-4 to hit, 1/2 strength bonus to damage).
Note that this is distinct from the information under two-weapon fighting actions in the combat section of the PHB (where the penalty for fighting with the off-hand in tandem with the primary hand is a further -6 penalty for the net of -10). In a nutshell, when you fight with two-weapons, both hands are penalized -6, but the off-hand was already penalized a further -4 for being the off-hand in the first place.

Why this tidbit of information is only in the glossary, I don't know. I suppose they could be assuming that any time the character is taking single attacks rather than two-weapon attacks, he's automatically using the primary hand whenever possible.

reiella

Explorer
billd91 said:
Not so. Check the glossary under off-hand. It states (in the 3.5 PHB) the penalties for fighting with a weapon in the off-hand (-4 to hit, 1/2 strength bonus to damage).
Note that this is distinct from the information under two-weapon fighting actions in the combat section of the PHB (where the penalty for fighting with the off-hand in tandem with the primary hand is a further -6 penalty for the net of -10). In a nutshell, when you fight with two-weapons, both hands are penalized -6, but the off-hand was already penalized a further -4 for being the off-hand in the first place.

Why this tidbit of information is only in the glossary, I don't know. I suppose they could be assuming that any time the character is taking single attacks rather than two-weapon attacks, he's automatically using the primary hand whenever possible.

Hmm, I'll have to retract my earlier statement then, the off-hand/handedness comment does in fact appear twice in the core books in 3.0 (Ambidexterity and the glossary).

Something to put into house rules/clarifications for my campaign to simplify matters :). Thank you :).

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
reiella said:
Something to put into house rules/clarifications for my campaign to simplify matters :). Thank you :).

It is buried unnecessarily deep. The only reason I probably look through rules glossaries as much as I do is because I also play Advanced Squad Leader and some vital definitions, like what counts as a support weapon-wielding unit in good order, are explained most clearly in the glossary for those rules. So I guess you could say I learned that behavior.

Remove ads