D&D (2024) August 18th Tarrasque-sized D&D News (Poll)

The August 18th Tarrasque-sized D&D News will be:

• 50AE Public Playtest

Votes: 29 28.7%
  • VTT Beta

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • All Access Content Tier for DDB

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • AAA Video Game

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • New Adventure Path

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • Highly Anticipated Classic Setting

Votes: 30 29.7%
  • Other (explain below)

Votes: 14 13.9%

• Poll closed .

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
VTT announcement but no beta, just alpha footage. New MtG setting for both MtG and 5E to release simultaneously. An RTS game for Dragonlance to spin off from the board game battle system. Teasers for a previous D&D setting (May it be Greyhawk to appease Snarf and prevent his horrible wrath) Teasers for movie tie-ins.

Retreater

Legend
I don't expect that they'll be announcing a playtest for the next revision/update while other products are still listed on the release schedule (that would cut into sales significantly).
If I'm guessing, they are wanting that sweet VTT money. I'm predicting a partnership between DDB and Roll20: buy your stuff on DDB and use on Roll20, with Roll20 becoming the "almost official" VTT of D&D.

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
It's gonna be a shotgun of stuff to overwhelm with razzle dazzle.

D&D Specific Announcements:
1) Next year's slate of products are revealed
2) Planescape and/or Dark Sun announced as part of the slate
3) Next Adventure Path/Campaign is announced as part of the slate
4) New D&D video game. 50/50 on it being AAA or Mobile
5) Keystone Art for D&D 50AE is unveiled
6) New trailer for Honor Among Thieves drops

R_J_K75

Legend
In prior years, this late August shindig was Magic exclusive, where they would lay out the next year of Magic peoduxt releases. This year, it's a co.bined event two days after the latest D&D release and between major Magic releases.
How may online platforms are they on as far as news goes, their website, twitter, facebook, Dragon+, DDB, & YouTube; did I miss any? I'm not on any of these except their site which is terrible nowadays and I haven't gone there in ages. I wouldn't even know where to follow them to keep current on news and announcements.

Other - None of the above, something that will only be exciting to serious fans and/or corporate.

Am I a cynic? Re: announcements of announcements? YOU BETCHA! 100% cynical of announcements of announcements. When people have something genuinely awesome to talk about, they just come out and say it, they don't try to build hype. When they have something that only fans will be excited about, then we get the announcements of announcements in a, shall we say, "strenuous effort" to build hype (it's better than "desperate effort").

Remove ads