• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) August 18th Tarrasque-sized D&D News (Poll)

The August 18th Tarrasque-sized D&D News will be:

• 50AE Public Playtest

Votes: 29 28.7%
  • VTT Beta

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • All Access Content Tier for DDB

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • AAA Video Game

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • New Adventure Path

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • Highly Anticipated Classic Setting

Votes: 30 29.7%
  • Other (explain below)

Votes: 14 13.9%

• Poll closed .

To make me sad, it's going to be Planescape.
Or to make me sad, it'll be Planescape, but like "maximum lame version", i.e. the "Monte Cook Faction War" version, where Sigil is run by three-letter agencies which make it sound like a mid-sized and insular/self-involved Midwestern city, and the Factions are scattered to the winds and barely detailed, and even portals are played down, but oh the Blood War, that'll be played up hugely and probably get more space than Sigil and portals and Factions put together (I say this because adventures recently still use Blood War stuff).

Jer

Legend
Supporter
How may online platforms are they on as far as news goes, their website, twitter, facebook, Dragon+, DDB, & YouTube; did I miss any?
Dragon+ has been cancelled - they're not doing that one anymore. So that's one less. (To be fair they didn't really announce it so much as quietly let it die).

I'm not on any of these except their site which is terrible nowadays and I haven't gone there in ages. I wouldn't even know where to follow them to keep current on news and announcements.
This is part of why I hang out on enworld - so I don't have to be on twitter or facebook. Someone will let me know what's going on if I watch the front page and periodically check the "New Posts" threads to see what folks are talking about.

I am willing to bet some kind of Internet Points that it isn't the 50AE Public Playtest, by the way, because there absolutely no chance that they would be doing a public playtest with out some kind of internal/friends-and-family playtest first, and if there was an internal/friends-and-family playtest, it WOULD have leaked, period. I might not have leaked beyond "there is a playtest!!" or a poorly photographed copy of a rules-sheet with some new rules on it or something, but it WOULD have leaked. D&D is too big, and D&D fans far, far too online for it not to have, in 2022.

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
It's gonna be a shotgun of stuff to overwhelm with razzle dazzle.

D&D Specific Announcements:
1) Next year's slate of products are revealed
2) Planescape and/or Dark Sun announced as part of the slate
3) Next Adventure Path/Campaign is announced as part of the slate
4) New D&D video game. 50/50 on it being AAA or Mobile
5) Keystone Art for D&D 50AE is unveiled
6) New trailer for Honor Among Thieves drops
Pretty much my thoughts. I think Darksun will be the setting. I think Planescape is down the road but I think they'll put something in between Planescape and Spelljammer.

I think we've already been playtesting 50AE in the form of Tasha's and Monsters of the Multiverse, so I don't think we'll have a separate public playtest.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
I am willing to bet some kind of Internet Points that it isn't the 50AE Public Playtest, by the way,
I agree, but because I don't think we're going to get a public playtest the way we did 10 years ago. Because the changes aren't going to be as big as when 4e ended.

I expect a series of Unearthed Arcana to be the public playtest for this next iteration. In fact I personally think that all of us commenting on the UA rules and using the books they've published in the last few years have all been participating in the 50th anniversary playtest already.

OB1

Jedi Master
@Ruin Explorer I think this partially depends on what 50AE is. If it's the same 5E ruleset with a different set of character generation options (racial features, class ability swaps, etc) I think they could go straight to playtest with the specific goal of, 'see if the 50AE fighter can play in the same campaign as the 5eOG fighter' it could be sent out in the same way they do UA material, without anyone leaking it beforehand.

This is part of why I hang out on enworld - so I don't have to be on twitter or facebook. Someone will let me know what's going on if I watch the front page and periodically check the "New Posts" threads to see what folks are talking about.
Definitely. RPG Twitter is extremely annoying to try and follow. It's very fragmented. It's very insular/in-crowd-y. People to love to talk about things that happened (good or bad) in incredibly oblique ways, without linking or referencing the actual game/event/person. So even though I follow a ton of people on RPG Twitter, I often find out more about RPGs from ENworld.

The only good thing is more video-game-y younger people getting into the RPG Twitter scene don't act like that (the above behaviour is mostly people like 30-55, so including people my age), and are much more helpful. Also it's nice that stuff like Kotaku and video game sites in general are beginning to cover TT RPGs more, and not just D&D either!

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I am willing to bet some kind of Internet Points that it isn't the 50AE Public Playtest, by the way, because there absolutely no chance that they would be doing a public playtest with out some kind of internal/friends-and-family playtest first, and if there was an internal/friends-and-family playtest, it WOULD have leaked, period. I might not have leaked beyond "there is a playtest!!" or a poorly photographed copy of a rules-sheet with some new rules on it or something, but it WOULD have leaked. D&D is too big, and D&D fans far, far too online for it not to have, in 2022.
I dunno, D&D Next did public playtest first and internal after.

Though, I agree there’s no chance of that being what the announcement is.

Remove ads