Avatar 2: Way of Water ... the PRE-POLL (Are you interested?)

Will you be seeing the new Avatar movie (Way of Water) in the Theaters?

• 1. YES!

Votes: 13 21.3%
  • 2. NO!

Votes: 45 73.8%
  • 3. I would be a yes, but I don't go to theaters since the Pandemic.

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • 4. I am boycotting this movie because I love Papyrus.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Poll closed .

Stalker0

Legend
Avatar really captured me when it first came out. I do think its very very late to be throwing in a sequel, but hey JC has shown me the magic before, so I'm going to give this one a go.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
There's no real point to watching Avatar on streaming. You don't watch it for the plot or the characters, you watch it to be immersed in the experience. It needs to be seen in IMAX 3D to appreciate it. Otherwise, it's like judging a roller coaster by watching a GoPro video of someone else riding the roller coaster.

For you, maybe.

But, on the whole, telling people what they can, and cannot, appreciate is maybe not the greatest approach to discussing media.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
For you, maybe.

But, on the whole, telling people what they can, and cannot, appreciate is maybe not the greatest approach to discussing media.
Perhaps. But that doesn't change the fact I'm right. I'm not telling them what they "can do", I'm making a recommendation as to what they "should do".

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
As someone who consumes tons of pop culture, who loves science fiction, and has sufficient disposable income, I find myself stunned at how uninteresting this movie looks.

The first film is the least interesting thing Sigourney Weaver has ever done, had no memorable lines or scenes or characters, and featured aliens that I could not find compelling. Yes it made money, and continues to do so since it keeps being re-released, and to their credit (I believe) they are not re-editing it each time. So there's one nice thing about it.

I am stunned that this has a chance at making money. My students haven't seen the first film, and so I imagine that it's being targeted at me. The trailer looks dull, and I don't know any of the characters. The message seems ham-fisted, and spelled out in the trailer.

Profound disinterest means that I won't be seeing it, ever, I expect.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Anybody is a fool to bet against Jim Cameron at this point. He is the Jim Steinman of filmmakers: his movies are grandiose and ridiculous and overblown and awesome.

I'll be seeing this one in IMAX, tyvm.

I should be tempted, because James Cameron movies are always at least decent as movies, and invariably spectacular in the "justifying seeing it on a big screen" sort of way. Logically this should be a place where I spend my filmgoing dollars. But at the same time... meh.

I just don't care about Avatar. Nobody not named James Cameron cares about Avatar. I saw the original and kind of liked it, like most humans, but, like most humans, I have zero Avatar investment. Honestly the most interesting thing about Avatar is how nearly everyone went and saw it and yet it had so little lasting cultural impact.

So in conclusion... no if left to my own devices. But if the family wants to go see it around Christmas I'm not actively opposed.

Mallus

Legend
I’m going to see it. In 3D. Once. Like I did the first one.

Visual spectacle is fine by me as long as it’s spectacular enough.

I’m a lifelong reader of fantasy & science fiction. I’m used to the story not being good (but dragons and spacecraft being amazing).

If I feel like my intelligence was insulted after seeing it, I’ll read one of Cormac McCarthy’s two new novels… to reacquaint myself with what that actually feels like.

Last edited:

aco175

Legend
Also, I predict we'll get 4 films, the next one being the Road of Fire and the Path of Earth.
The 4th one will likely be called Scorched Earth, to finish the political statement the first one started about climate change.

I recently saw an interview with the actor Matt Damon about how he turned down the lead in the first film after being offered like 10% of the royalties. Calling it the biggest financial loss in Hollywood.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I recently saw an interview with the actor Matt Damon about how he turned down the lead in the first film after being offered like 10% of the royalties. Calling it the biggest financial loss in Hollywood.

Maybe he’s had a bigger loss since the interview. Do you think he was paid in crypto for those ads?

Fortune favors the brave, indeed!

Remove ads