B6: The Veiled Society - IC

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
[sblock=DM] Rezak takes the hood and says, "If'n dis makes me a rich man I is fur it." When asked if he is armed Rezak replies, "As'n much as dis dang city will let ye be I am's."

Rezak then puts the hood over his head and waits for instructions. [/sblock]

jkason

First Post
Barek Fhald, half-orc bard

[sblock=non-Rezak]The old man nods. "Wait here." He scampers off.

In a few minutes he returns with another man and grins. “Here’s your package, mateys! Heehee, have fun, y’ lubbers!”

“I am Simion Torenescu,” says the other man, a distinguished-looking older gentleman. “I am a statesman. It is important that I reach the Senator’s house in secrecy - and safety. Since you are new to town, you will not draw the attention his bodyguards would. Will you help?”[/sblock]

[sblock=Rezak-free]Barek raises an eyebrow, but seems otherwise unfazed by the revalation. He bows his head to Torenescu.

"We'll lend what aid we can, master Torenescu," the half-orc says.

To the others he adds, "We may not draw the normal attention, but neither are we as well-armed as a normal bodyguard detail. I suggest some subterfuge might be helpful. I know a parlor trick which can create a second Torunescu, though we'll need to keep the image close or someone might notice it doesn't generate any footsteps."

((OOC: Silent Image))[/sblock]

Rhun

First Post
[sblock=Non-Rezak]Celythia brushes some of her scarlet hair from her eyes and smiles down at Caridoc. She whispers to her companion. "This is an interesting development. We should be cautious."[/sblock]

kinem

Adventurer
[sblock=Rezak]"Good. Then come with us."

The man leads the hooded group through many twisting alleys to a dark street corner. Here he turns to speak to you again.

“You are now one of us. If they catch you, they kill you. If you betray us, we kill you. Act in our name but without our blessing, we kill you. Work hard for us and you will prosper. Once with us you cannot leave us.”

A boy runs up to the group and speaks softly to one of the other men.[/sblock]

[sblock=non-Rezak]Torenescu nods. "Excellent."

Suddenly, a number of ragged-looking men - ten in all - approach the base of the gangplank. The men bear bound swords and unbound daggers, but do not raise them. One man steps forward and kneels on one knee.

He says, “Lord Simion, our sovereign master Prince Dimitrios, Ruler of the Beggars, sends us as his solemn oath of homage to the Torenescu. Receive us into your service.”

At this, Simion laughs uproariously, clapping his hands and stamping his feet. “Well said, dog of a beggar,” says Simion. “And so you shall join my bodyguard!"[/sblock]

jkason

First Post

[sblock=non-Rezak]Torenescu nods. "Excellent."

Suddenly, a number of ragged-looking men - ten in all - approach the base of the gangplank. The men bear bound swords and unbound daggers, but do not raise them. One man steps forward and kneels on one knee.

He says, “Lord Simion, our sovereign master Prince Dimitrios, Ruler of the Beggars, sends us as his solemn oath of homage to the Torenescu. Receive us into your service.”

At this, Simion laughs uproariously, clapping his hands and stamping his feet. “Well said, dog of a beggar,” says Simion. “And so you shall join my bodyguard!"[/sblock]

[sblock=non-Rezak]Barek tenses at the approach of so many armed men, and only slightly relaxes as they profess their loyalty to Torenescu. The half-orc hums softly under his breath, looking between the beggars and the statesman.

OOC: Sense Motive +9 on the beggar leader (humming is just fluff for the Versatile Performer class feature that lets him make the check using his perform score) . Seems unlikely that so many men would need to lie to get past the party, but in a city like this, Barek's guard's up... ;) [/sblock]

Last edited:

Rhun

First Post
[sblock=Non-Rezak]
Celythia becomes even more concerned as the armed men appear. She shakes her head, and again whispers at Caridoc. "This cannot be good. Something stinks with this latest development."
[/sblock]

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
[sblock=DM] Rezak will try and listen in on the conversation. [/sblock]

[sblock=Stats]
HP: 15
AC: 18 T: 14 FF: 14
Init: +4
Fort: +1
Reflex: +7
Will: +0
Dagger(mw) +3(+6) 1d4+1
Lang:
Common, Thieves Cant, Halfling
Abilities:
Sneak(+1d6), trapfinding/Trap Spotter, Evasion
Traits:
Child of the Streets/Magical Talent(Mage Hand 1/day)
Feats:
Catch of Guard, Alertness
Skills:
Acrobatics+7,Appraise+6, Bluff+6, Climb+4, Craft(traps)+6, Diplomacy+5, Disable Device+9, Disguise+8, Escape Artist+7, Intimidate+5, Knowledge(dungeoneering)+6, Knowledge(local)+6, Linguistics+6, Perception+7, Perform(act)+5, Profession(beggar)+4, Sense Motive+6, Sleight of Hand+9, Stealth+7, Swim+5, Use Magic Device +5
Magic:
potions(clw, x2)

[/sblock]

kinem

Adventurer
[sblock=Rezak]The boy seems to be giving street directions to the man. The boy then walks away.

The hooded man who spoke earlier - apparently the leader - gathers the group and explains "We've been hired to capture or kill an evil nobleman, an oppressor of the common folk, Simion Torenescu. He is an older man, graying, large eyebrows - I've seen him before.

We'll set an ambush. No doubt he'll have bodyguards. Don't fight them if you don't have to - just strike the target then flee. The man who deals the death blow will get double pay - an extra two hundred gold. Do you understand?"

The others all say "Yes."[/sblock]

kinem

Adventurer
[sblock=Barek]The 'beggar' seems relaxed and in good humor; as far as you can tell, he is telling the truth.[/sblock]

[sblock=non-Rezak]Indicating your group, Simion explains to the 'beggars' "And these skilled adventurers are new in town and have agreed to help us."

"How do you wish to proceed?" he asks you, allowing your group to take the lead in choosing the marching order.[/sblock]

jkason

First Post

[sblock=non-Rezak]
Celythia becomes even more concerned as the armed men appear. She shakes her head, and again whispers at Caridoc. "This cannot be good. Something stinks with this latest development."

Barek moves in close to his companions and whispers, "I'm reasonably good at reading a crowd, and these seem to be honest in their intentions. And as we're rather low on martial power, I think it's best to risk it."

Indicating your group, Simion explains to the 'beggars' "And these skilled adventurers are new in town and have agreed to help us."

"How do you wish to proceed?" he asks you, allowing your group to take the lead in choosing the marching order.

"We had a notion previously to allow for a forward scout. And it seems these good men are uniquely suited to blending in and doing just that. Perhaps a man forward and behind to signal trouble. Maybe even a pair spread to each side to keep an eye on the alleys? That would still leave a good half dozen men to stay with us.

"As we're new to town, it's probably best if a few of the locals lead the way. Also ... I have bit of thaumaturgy which might provide us a passable decoy of you, Master Torenescu. Never hurts to confuse any onlooker, I say."

((OOC: scouts fore and aft. Not sure if it's best to hug the buildings or move in the middle with scouts to either side; I'm open to suggestions. Then like I said, a Silent Image of Torenescu out front with some of the beggars, the real Torenescu in the middle with us following behind? I'm not the best tactician, so everyone please feel free to pipe in with modifications))[/sblock]

Remove ads