Babylon 5... reboot?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Well, this sounds... a little strange, to be honest.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Yeah, but getting anything like the Londo/G'Kar dymanic?

JMS is not know for retreading his own work. So I am wondering what his plan here is....

Janx

Hero
I'd probably watch it, like I watch anything Trek. But I'm against the basic idea of doing the show over.

I'd be fine with using CGI and stuff to clean up and fix the existing footage. reshoot all the space stuff, whatever. Digitially correct gaffs that made it on screen, and improve the blended scenes (CGI+live). Kinda of like what they did with the TOS.

But I'd rather just have the One.

aco175

Legend
I came to that show late and started watching in season 3ish and then found myself disappointed by the cancelation. I would watch a reboot.

What kind of reboot? A Star Trek with another set of characters and more of the same. A Star Wars movie where the last 3 were just a copy of the first 3. Maybe something like Battlestar Galactica with another whole show or prequel. I did enjoy all the styles of reboot, but some more than others.

I did see where there are no new ideas and have plans to reboot Wonder Years and Doogie Howser MD for a new audience.

MarkB

Legend
Maybe a reboot in the same sense as the Star Trek Kelvinverse, or Battlestar Galactica - begin from a similar premise, but then build a new storyline from there. Trying to recreate the original, even just the major story beats, feels like it would be a lot of work to get somewhere we've already been.

niklinna

Looking for group
Yeah, but getting anything like the Londo/G'Kar dymanic?
Highly unlikely. They had some amazing actors in that show.
JMS is not know for retreading his own work. So I am wondering what his plan here is....
Considering how much the studio munged his industry-changing project*, I can see how he might want a chance to do it as he envisioned.

* Or perhaps, anticipatory of industry change.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Maybe a reboot in the same sense as the Star Trek Kelvinverse, or Battlestar Galactica - begin from a similar premise, but then build a new storyline from there. Trying to recreate the original, even just the major story beats, feels like it would be a lot of work to get somewhere we've already been.

So, JMS is not know for retreading his prior work. And he seems smart enough to know that he can't catch the same lightning in a bottle again. So, like the dynamics of Londo and G'Kar? If he tries that again, he's putting it in direct comparison with his own work, and if it fails it is... bad. So, I am wondering if the rebooting will be rather extensive. Same themes, different races and characters.

MGibster

Legend
I was a huge fan of Babylon 5 so I'm a little ambivalent about the idea of a reboot. Looking at the BSG reboot, I suppose it took a similar premise and we ended up with a different show so I guess that'd be okay. I'll give a new series a chance at least I just hope they don't rehash what we've already seen. And we I don't imagine we'll see another Londo/G'Kar with the same relationship as Katsulas and Jurasik. A wise man once said he's unlikely to catch the same lightning in a bottle.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
This is odd, to say the least. In his position, I’d rather expand upon what was done previously with B5 than revisit it. If I were to reboot something, it would be Crusade.

MarkB

Legend
So, JMS is not know for retreading his prior work. And he seems smart enough to know that he can't catch the same lightning in a bottle again. So, like the dynamics of Londo and G'Kar? If he tries that again, he's putting it in direct comparison with his own work, and if it fails it is... bad. So, I am wondering if the rebooting will be rather extensive. Same themes, different races and characters.
Well, if the article is accurate it seems that at least one character is the same - it's supposed to begin with John Sheridan being assigned to the station (I guess Jeffrey Sinclair doesn't get a look-in this time around). Maybe the BSG approach of "some of the same names, but not necessarily the same characters".

There's plenty of room to take things in different directions. Maybe this time around it will be G'kar rather than Londo who gives the most pleasing answer to Morden's question.

ART!

Hero
I guess this will give him a chance to correct whatever he sees as flaws or missed opportunities in the original.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
I guess this will give him a chance to correct whatever he sees as flaws or missed opportunities in the original.

And also update ideas. He's done a lot of varying work since the first show. As an example, if we have Telepaths in the new B5, maybe he's going to bring in ideas he got while working on Sense8, and so on.

I am in a rewatch of the original now... wand I expect digging into the political commentary is likely on his wish list.

Li Shenron

Legend
I am in the middle of re-watching the whole series, first time with the kids. I also feel that re-making the outdoor CGI scenes is all that this shows needs.

I wouldn't want to watch a remake of the same story, particularly because so many of the original actors have passed away prematurely.

I don't remember any remake/reboot of a movie or complete series that has lived up to the original. Only Battlestar Galactica won me over the original but that's because the original was never finished. On the technical side, new movies can be much better than 80s and 90s original for sure, but even then I think their success is short-lived.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
A reboot? CW?
But JMS himself?

Hmm... put me down in the "would rather see another story in the same universe than a reboot" group. I have big reservations, but if it came to fruition, I would check it out.

Ryujin

Hero
I doubt that anyone could ever chew the scenery like Andreas Katsulas. I'd give it a chance but, with my general feelings about reboots, it would be a tough sell. It would need to be very good.

OTOH giving "Crusade" another shot, as it hadn't gotten too far yet, would have some possibilities. Same universe. What has gone before is just prologue. Why does that sentence feel like a Koshism?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
JMS talking about the project on Twitter has me really excited. For me as a fan, but also for him. He’s getting a chance to revisit, remix, and retell his masterpiece.

JMS on the reboot
Okay, yeah, that has me excited as well.

CW leaves a little bit of worry, especially with how the quality of Supergirl went down immediately upon switching to their hands, but hopefully they stick to their commitment to give him creative freedom.

Ryujin

Hero
Okay, yeah, that has me excited as well.

CW leaves a little bit of worry, especially with how the quality of Supergirl went down immediately upon switching to their hands, but hopefully they stick to their commitment to give him creative freedom.
I must admit to having some trepidation about the trademark CW melodrama creeping into it.

Level Up!

An Advertisement

Advertisement4