• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Back Off Man... I'm A Scientist! (CALLING KAHUNA BURGER)

Kahuna Burger

First Post
Jedelski - my impression was that the 3 skill points per stat was a grouping, not a total. that is, each stat has three skill points to put into its related skills. Thats the way the example character was done, and seems to be how the others read it as well.

jdeleski

First Post
Yikes! Fixed again. Apparently, my RL brains skills aren't nearly as good as Barry's...

BTW, I've created a new account under the name "Job", which is the name I prefer on my account, but couldn't edit my old one. Same avatar. If I'm admitted into the game by Defcon, I'll be using my new account.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job (the tortured one).

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Things are looking good guys. I'll be making final decisions in a day or two in case other folks submit some characters as well. Here's a couple things for a few of you that you might want to work on just to differentiate yourselves from other characters.

Sorrow The Bear, I really love your German thrillseeker concept. It'll be interesting to see how this stud who has conquered any fears of heights or drops will now react to things like zombies, ghosts and vampires. As you create your character sheet... I'd recommend you keep moving in the direction it already seems like you were going, which was emphasis on Muscles and Moves. There's no Superman/brick type character yet, and Xander seems like a good choice.

Job... right now I'm having a hard time getting a good fix on your Barry character. He's theoretically brilliant (having a maximum of 5 Brains) but doesn't seem to have used it at all... and he's a geek character like ShaggySpellsword's but doesn't have a focus to his loserdom. He works at 7-11, reads the tabloids, is obsessed with Madonna and lives with his mom... but none of them seem to factor in highly in his life. I'd recommend selecting one of these things in particular and focusing on that. With the Goal you selected in Marrying Madonna (i.e. Fame), maybe this is a good way to drive Barry. He's a normal dork of a guy who perhaps all his life has been ignored by women and beaten up by men, and he decides to become a Ghostbuster to "become somebody"! Being a Ghostbuster might make him famous, and thus he's be lauded by men and hounded by women for the first time in his life. You could even keep the whole bit about still living with mom... but maybe just re-think the bits about being a brainiac and working at 7-11. With Sara Whetney being the true "brains" of the outfit (with her multiple collegiate degrees and everything) and William Hufflemeyer being the out-and-out overweight loser "geek"... I'd like to differeniate Barry from them just a bit. So perhaps moving a Brains point to Muscles (to make them 4 & 2), and not make him a young, fat loser (since William already has that in spades), but perhaps a slightly older more normal looking loser. One that might possibly even GET Madonna if he ever became famous enough. I really like the idea that Barry might just be one Oprah make-over away from becoming a possible "catch" once he becomes famous.

So think about things a bit, and make some character changes to perhaps focus Barry in some ways so he doesn't overlap so much with Sara and William. Thanx much!

For the others characters (Sara, William & Gina) I really love what you have. Three really great and distinct character types (the scientific professional, the enthusiastic loser, and the money-hungry con artist). If we can add in the musclebound thrillseeker and the wanna-be ladies man... I think we'll have ourselves a team! Thanx folks!

jkason

First Post
I don't suppose you have room for one more? Just found this today, and couldn't help but find myself intrigued:

Dan Wutzisnaam, failed actor

Dan's classically trained for the stage, but he's never quite made it onto the stage. He did fine in classes. He does fine on his own and around friends. It's just that, at auditions, with the lights and the shadows and the "show us what you have or we'll call you a talentless schmoe" going on? Let's just say Dan's stomach contents tend to get very ... jumpy.

So enough with being in front of the audience. Now Dan's going to be a writer/director! It's a great notion, except that he has absolutely no ideas for a play or a movie or a TV show. In the meantime, he needs something to pay the bills. Ghostbusters may just solve both his dilemmas, giving him grist for the writing mill and keeping a roof over his head. And if his stomach problems come back in this line of work, well, he can always blame it on possession.

The Interview

Dan walked in humming "I Believe in You" softly, head held high. He was ready for this. He walked past the row of people patiently sitting and waiting their turn, and plopped his headshot-resume on the front desk.

"Hi. I'm Dan. I'm here to interview for--"

That was as far as he got when his stomach started making The Noise. He knew what it meant, and tried to hide the panic in his voice as he asked, "um ... where's your bathroom?"

Five minutes, one hurl and two dry heaves later, a much less confident (and considerably paler) Dan emerged from the bathroom. He popped two of those super-fast-melt breath strips in his mouth, wiped again at the spot he'd blotted clean on the front of his shirt begging it to dry already. Then he sat down gingerly, trying his best to sport a smile.

Muscles - 3
*Belt showtune 1
*The show must go on 2

Brains - 3
*Peg other's motivation 1
*Plot conventions 1
*Eye for detail 1

Moves - 3
*Nervous (projectile) vomiting 1
*Stage fighting 2

Cool - 2
*Character acting 1
*Work the crowd 1
*Tongue lashing 1

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Thanx jkason! You're in! I love it! Dan'll be a nice comedic addition to the group.

I'm going to get this started hopefully tomorrow. Just so you're all aware... I tend to post virtually daily during the week, but usually not on weekends. Feel free to post as little or as much as you want, and I will usually follow up one of your posts with a response NPC post from me. I love it when the players make their own choices and I get to respond to them with various NPC interaction, so if when you're out on assignment you do things like call over a cop for help, or talk with a little old lady you've made up... I'll be right there to work the other side of the conversation with you.

So as soon as Sorrow The Bear can get his character stats taken care of, and jdeleski (Job) works out some of Barry kinks that I mentioned previously... we'll get started.

And just so you know how dice rolling is going to work... I'm going to ask that when you need to roll dice you go to invisiblecastle.com and use their dice roller (so that you can post the links to the rolls). Make sure when you do it that you don't roll Xd6 once (because this adds all the d6s together) but rather put a number in the Number of Rolls field and 1d6 in the Dice field. This way when you roll, it shows me all the individual dice. Go HERE to see an example of a five dice roll.

What I will do on any dice roll that includes a 6 somewhere in your spread is roll randomly myself to determine which of your dice rolled was the "Ghost Die". If the "Ghost Die" turns out to be the one that rolled the '6', then you rolled a Ghost and something goofy is going to happen. I'll then point that out and show what happens in the next post I do.

Any questions, please post them here and I'll give you the answers. Thanx folks! I'm looking forward to this!

Job

First Post
Defcon,

Sorry that I haven't responded sooner, I'm travelling at the moment and have limited time to post.

I'm struggling with your suggested changes to my character since they redirect his ambitions quite a bit. *laughs* Part of it is that I'm just don't feel up to playing a "ladies man wanna be". I do understand your reasoning and will try to dream up some other character concept that might fit in well with the group.

Since my time is limited and I don't want to hold your game up, you can consider my slot open and I'm OK with you filling the position if someone else posts an interesting character in the meantime.

Thanks!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job (the tortured one).

I'll have the sheet to you on saturday night at the latest, I had to actually get out of my house for a few days, and obviously the computer I have access to doesn't ahve the .txt file. I suppose that makes an argument for hardcopies. ;) But sorry for the hold up guys.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
No problems Sorrow. I think in this regard I'll wait to start the game on Monday so that we get all the characters set. So here is the list of characters with their main schtick and reason for becoming a Ghostbuster that we have.

Sara Whetney - overly serious paranormal investigator
William Hufflemeyer - overweight teen fan boy
Gina Ravensoul - ren chick con artist
Xander Braunshwagger - buff thrillseeker and adventurer
Dan Wutzisnaam - emotional wannabe actor/director

Sara is the brains, Xander is the brawn, Gina is the face, William is the heart, and Dan is the pathos. Awesome! Louis Tully is looking forward to sending you all out on the town to grab some spooks! Look for the start on Monday. Job, if you find the time to tweak your character and can get him up and running, we'll see if we can't get Barry into the game at some point as well, perhaps on the second mission. Thanx folks!

Remove ads