Bad Movies You Liked

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
I liked John Carter as well. I'm not even ashamed. It's a genuinely enjoyable movie.

Valerian too. And that intro sequence is brilliant.

A movie that I really like, but still consider dreadfully bad is the finnish movie The Book of Fate (just look at that imdb rating). It's a movie that jumps between time periods and tries to draw a narrative from a vampire horror to a western to a modern setting (well, the 90's) to a scifi space epic. It actually won Best International Feature Film at the New York International Independent Film and Video Festival, which really makes me question their standards (also, who lost against them? Good grief that's gotta sting). But yeah, I still like it.

Ryujin

Legend
John Carter was ... not bad.

But, in terms of movies that were a) flops, and b) critically reviled, I would go with Jupiter Ascending.

It's not great, but it is fun and visually interesting.

I'd put Valerian in that category as well (although it almost reached a 50% fresh rating, so not nearly as critically hated).

Jupiter Ascending is a guilty pleasure of mine. OK, it's not great, but they went for some very different and almost European visuals, in an American film.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Jupiter Ascending is a guilty pleasure of mine. OK, it's not great, but they went for some very different and almost European visuals, in an American film.

Poor Eddie Redmayne. He went from the greatest mind on the planet in Theory of Everything, which got him the Academy Award for best actor, to space bees and Jupiter Ascending as the next film. I'll give him credit - he committed to his Jupiter Ascending role.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Oh lets see, a few already mentioned Dune, Masters of the Universe (Frank Langella just goes balls to the wall as Skeletor and I love it), Enemy Mine. I alos love a stupid number of Schwarzenegger films including but not limited to Kindergarten Cop and Twins.

Dredd was ok by critics, but only made like 13m but I really liked it. 13th Warrior had so many issues, but I like that one too.

Lets see what else,the Crappy Lou ferrigno Hercules. Congo. That's a pretty good list.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I .... I ..... I do not even understand this sentence.

Dune is my go to movie when I want to fall asleep. Which is too bad, because I really like a lot of the actors. But man, all that internal monologuing. Eeesh...

And ironically, my friends call me the Dude because my favorite drink is a White Russian and I hate the Eagles. But just couldn’t get into that movie.

S'mon

Legend
My problem with the Destroyer is that The Barbarian was actually a really good movie, one of the best fantasy flicks ever made - a true classic. It was as if with the sequel they remembered the era and they made just another silly 80s fantasy movie, in the vein of Krull, Beastmaster, and Sword & Sorcerer.

Talking of which, my top 3 would be

Krull - not sure this can really be called a 'bad' movie, but ok. Great high fantasy sci-fantasy.
Deathstalker - Lana Clarkson will live forever in my heart.
Hawk the Slayer - Fighting Fantasy come to life!

And runners up Beastmaster & The Warrior and the Sorceress. Beastmaster actually has a budget. The Warrior and the Sorceress has, well... it is a terrible movie, but it has David Carradine doing his thing.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Enemy Mine is bad? I liked it did it originally flop.

Apparently: "Originally budgeted at $17 million, the film ultimately cost more than $40 million after marketing costs were factored in, and was a box office bomb during the 1985 holiday season, earning only a little over $12 million. " - Wikipedia

If you liked the movie, you may enjoy the novella by Barry Longyear. You may also be interested in The Enemy Papers, which contains other stories set in and around that war, and a really interesting section of the Talman - the holy writings of the Drac.

Remove ads