D&D 5E Bad Sage Advice?

FreeTheSlaves

Adventurer
Sage advice is a generally useful resource, but there's some I don't buy.

On the bright side, the literal interpretation of shield magic bonuses has lifted a veil to me. I've been too big a fan of RAW, need to value context, narrative and balance a little bit more.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Nope, I am telling him how shields work in the real real world. There is a big difference.

So, by logic, a magical shield will do the same things but better and faster. Just like a +1 sword will cut better and will be more resistant, will have more flexing capacity than a normal sword would. It will not fly in the face of your opponent by itself (save the actual flying sword). Some shields have additional magical properties and these are fine. Hey a flying shield does not even have to be worn to be effective and will work as if you were weilding it by interposing itself between you and the attacks.

And notice how the flying shield works... Simply by doing what you would normally do... wow no nonsense about force fields ...
The Sage advice goes directly against very clear DMG rules as well.

This is from the armor category on page 139, "Unless an armor's description says otherwise, armor must be worn for its magic to function."

It's further supported by Wearing and Wielding items on page 140 that says, "A magic item meant to be worn must be donned in the intended fashion: boots go on the feet, gloves on the hands, hats and helmets on the head, and rings on the finger. Magic armor must be donned, a shield strapped to the arm, a cloak fastened about the shoulders. A weapon must be held."

It's pretty clear that the magic isn't supposed to work unless you are wearing the shield on your arm.

Remove ads