D&D 5E Balance Inquiry Arcane Archer Modification

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I like the version of the Arcane Archer (AA) that was published in Xanathar's more than the previous Unearthe Arcana (UA) versions, but felt like there should be something more "always? usable" at 3rd level when the subtype is gained.

There are two thoughts for review...feel free to offer pro/cons.

a. Ability to change the damage type of the arrows (piercing) to fire, cold, lightning, or acid. Nothing else changes.
Benefit?: Can target vulnerabilities, maybe light haystacks on fire etc.

b. Use an arrow to deliver the effects of a cantrip you know to the range of the bow. No arrow damage, just cantrip damage and effects.
Benefit?: Extended range for "tricks", (negligible effect in dungeons, big diff outside)

PEACH

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I think the elemental shot would nice. To be honest there's only a few creatures with elemental vulnerabilities to exploit, and the ability to target an element that isnt resisted by the creature is not that powerful, since most spellcasters can already to that with their lvl 1 cantrip selection.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I would consider both those options. At low levels the AA is pretty bad. Maybe limit cantrip-enhanced shots to one so muti-attack shenanigans don't get OP. Booming Blade from an arrow is a cool idea. Your first option is almost a ribbon, so I'd be fine trying both out and seeing how it goes.

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
I think the damage type is good. The most useful aspect would be getting around resistance to piercing from non-magical weapons, but I think that's fine.

I also like elemental arrows because it was what I was expecting when I first read the words "Arcane Archer" and was disappointed not to find. Also I like anything that gives a martial character a potential area to make strategic decisions that doesn't impose a huge learning curve.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I would consider both those options. At low levels the AA is pretty bad. Maybe limit cantrip-enhanced shots to one so muti-attack shenanigans don't get OP. Booming Blade from an arrow is a cool idea. Your first option is almost a ribbon, so I'd be fine trying both out and seeing how it goes.

Maybe like "Once per turn when you fire an arrow from a shortbow or longbow as part of the Attack action, you can apply one the effects of a cantrip you know to that arrow, utilizing the bow's range, but replacing the damage of the arrow with the effects of the cantrip."

Maybe like "Once per turn when you fire an arrow from a shortbow or longbow as part of the Attack action, you can apply one the effects of a cantrip you know to that arrow, utilizing the bow's range, but replacing the damage of the arrow with the effects of the cantrip."

So Arcane Archers only get 1 cantrip, which is either Druidcraft or Prestidigitation. Would you be changing that, or would this just be a multiclass thing?

I do really like the idea of having some way to synergize archery and cantrips. It would make Archer/Spellcaster multiclasses more viable since the cantrips upgrade based on class level. But I'd kind of just like to have some sort of ranged weapon equivalent to the SCAG cantrips.

Weiley31

Legend
Reflavored Eldritch Blast with Agonizing Blast built in to it OR scaling off of the spell casting modifier/proficiency bonus.

Simple, effective, and keeps the whole "magic arrow shots" while allowing the AA to save its special arrow shots for rougher things.

Also I like the image of an Arcane Archer going full on Panzer Dragoon with multi-lock on magic arrow bolts.

Remove ads