D&D 5E Balance of this? - Pass Concentration spell

the Jester

Legend
So I've been mulling this over as a potential custom spell, and would like to get everyone's feedback.

Pass Concentration (Transmutation) (wizard)
Level: 4
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 30 feet
Components: V, S
Duration: 1 minute

When you cast this spell, choose a willing creature you can see within range. You magically pass the mental burden of concentrating on a spell of 4th or lower level to that creature. The spell must be one that you cast and are currently concentrating on, and the creature to whom you pass concentration may have its concentration interrupted normally.

At Higher Levels: If you cast this spell using a slot of 5th or higher level, you can pass the burden of concentrating on a spell of a level up to that of the slot that you used to cast this spell.

AntiStateQuixote

Enemy of the State
So I've been mulling this over as a potential custom spell, and would like to get everyone's feedback.

Pass Concentration (Transmutation) (wizard)
Level: 4
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 30 feet
Components: V, S
Duration: 1 minute

When you cast this spell, choose a willing creature you can see within range. You magically pass the mental burden of concentrating on a spell of 4th or lower level to that creature. The spell must be one that you cast and are currently concentrating on, and the creature to whom you pass concentration may have its concentration interrupted normally.

At Higher Levels: If you cast this spell using a slot of 5th or higher level, you can pass the burden of concentrating on a spell of a level up to that of the slot that you used to cast this spell.

Interesting.

A couple of thoughts:

1. I think the expenditure of a 4th level spell slot to engage another creature to take up concentration is a good level. It makes it a mid to high level effort before you start freeing up your primary casters' concentration slots. Nice.

2. The 1 action casting time means it's unlikely to be very useful in combat. The action economy of D&D combat will mean it's just not worth it most of the time. I like that too!

3. I would consider changing the duration to instantaneous. The concentration mechanic and duration of the original spell should determine how long the target can concentrate. Also makes the pass concentration effect itself immune to dispel magic.

LapBandit

First Post
3. I would consider changing the duration to instantaneous. The concentration mechanic and duration of the original spell should determine how long the target can concentrate. Also makes the pass concentration effect itself immune to dispel magic.
These changes would make the ability far too powerful, the Action Economy exists to combat the things and making it undispellable makes it the only spell in the game that is.

CapnZapp

Legend
Random feedback:

This lets you, say, "give" the Fighter his own Fly spell, so you can focus on something more worthy of your concentration... am I correct?

So essentially you double the cost (in slots and casting rounds) of a spell you want to hand over concentration on (minimum 4th). Might sound reasonable, but it does increase nova capabilities (where spending slots is less of an issue).

First off: you need to ask yourself if the Wizard should be able to bring along underlings to concentrate on buffs on the wizard. That is, limiting the spell only to spells that affect the target (such as Fly being cast on the fighter, not the wizard). Without this limit, wizards will find ways to essentially safeguard their buffs against concentration-break.

Name: I realize you mean pass as in "pass along the bucket", but I unfortunately read "Pass Concentration" as giving concentration a pass. Perhaps a clearer name?

Spell lists: such a major ability should not be a Wiz exclusive. I suggest at least Cleric and Druid.

Next issue: does the target need to stay within a certain range of the wizard (or maintain line of effect etc)? Again, otherwise you can let your familiar, your steed and your enslaved Succubus concentrate on your buffs and then send them into a demiplane where nobody can break their concentration. (Or simply just hide behind a corner)

Final Q: Do you intend more than one of these at a time - or things could get really whacky. Especially if the above issues haven't made you add any restrictions...

That's all for now

I don't see anything immediately alarming from a balance perspective, but from a game logic perspective it's really puzzling. It just takes one spell to teach a 0th level NPC enough about magical theory and spellcasting to instinctively maintain a complex magical effect like Shapechange?

Would not allow. Not for "balance" reasons, which I basically don't care about, but because it doesn't fit with what I perceive to be the game logic behind concentration.

Satyrn

First Post
Interesting.

A couple of thoughts:

1. I think the expenditure of a 4th level spell slot to engage another creature to take up concentration is a good level. It makes it a mid to high level effort before you start freeing up your primary casters' concentration slots. Nice.

2. The 1 action casting time means it's unlikely to be very useful in combat. The action economy of D&D combat will mean it's just not worth it most of the time. I like that too!

I like all this feedback and have nothing else to add beyond "playtesting will tell."

Gadget

Adventurer
These changes would make the ability far too powerful, the Action Economy exists to combat the things and making it undispellable makes it the only spell in the game that is.

I'm confused. This suggestion does not change the action economy at all, as it changes the duration to 'instantaneous', which is entirely appropriate for what the spell does. Maybe some verbiage about how passing the concentration to another being does not change the duration of the original spell, just to make it absolutely clear.

As to the spell itself, I'm not usually one to complain about 'bag of rats' exploits, but this seems particularly susceptible to such shenanigans. Maybe make clear that you cannot pass concentration to your pet gerbil (maybe make an exception for familiars) by setting an minimum Int score of 8 for the recipient of the spell. Also, the above mentioned exploit of bringing underlings along to pass concentration to and shunting them off to a demi-plane (or Magnificent Mansion or Rope Trick) to keep the spell going. Come to think of it, you could just teleport the recipient 100 miles away as well. All these 'exploits' require a significant expenditure of magical might to pull off though, so I'm not sure how 'broken' they would be in practice.

From the title I was thinking it would be something like:

Rary's Thought Focuser
Level 1 Abjuration (cleric, sorcerer, wizard)
Casting Time: 1 reaction, which you take when you take damage
Range: Self
Components: V, S, M (a ginkgo biloba leaf)
Duration: Instantaneous

When you cast this spell, you gain advantage on your next Constitution saving throw made to maintain concentration on a spell. You must cast this spell before you roll your Constitution saving throw.

This spell does not prevent you from losing concentration on a spell if you cast another spell which requires concentration, become incapacitated, or are killed.

At higher levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, you automatically succeed your next Constitution saving throw made to maintain concentration on a spell. You still must cast this spell before you roll your Constitution saving throw.

Basically it lets you burn spell slots to maintain spell concentration.

Remove ads