D&D 5E Baldur's Gate 3 AMA

* Short Rests happen automatically between combat encounters. No word on healing/Hit Dice, but they confirmed that, for example, Warlocks get their spell slots back after every battle (all 2 of them).
Wow, this is going to make Warlocks very strong. Battle Master Fighters and Monks, too.

*Oh yeah, the game covers levels 1-10.
Hopefully they expand to 20 in DLC ...

That is a big disappointment for me.

Maybe they went that way because all the items that aren't just sword+1 and such are essentially unique items.

Would have been very cool if they used a system like the treasure hoard system in the DMG to provide random loot though.

In my D&D game we use the treasure hoard tables and I think that is a lot of fun.
In the original BG games, all magic items had unique back stories that you could read after identifying, even if they were just a ring of protection +1 or a dagger +1. I'm guessing they are doing the same thing here.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
In the original BG games, all magic items had unique back stories that you could read after identifying, even if they were just a ring of protection +1 or a dagger +1. I'm guessing they are doing the same thing here.

Oh I see.

Makes sense for the nostalgia/legacy aspect.

Won't be a deal breaker for me.

gyor

Legend
Did they indicate if weapons and armour are going to be modeled like they are in 5e or or if they are going to follow a model similar to DOS2 or Diablo where you are always on the lookout for weapons and armour with slightly better values? The latter always felt weird and arbitrary to me.

It was clarified that magic items are hand placed, not regular items.

gyor

Legend
That's okay when it's a kill-the-monster-take-the-loot Diablo style video game. But this game is long. It will have lots of varied challenges along the way. It's not expected to be played dozens of times - most people play this kind of game only once.

Oh I think all the interesting playable companions and Race/Class/Subclass/ Background combos suggests that this game is designed with extremely high replayablity.

pukunui

Legend
Apparently it actually serves a function, such as exploring the characters internal dialog/thoughts among others.
I took that as being the reason why it’s in the first person. I’m fine with that.

It’s the past tense part that I don’t like. It sounds like they want you to feel like you’re telling a story to someone after the events have occurred, which doesn’t really appeal to me at the moment. Makes it sound like you can’t fail.

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
I took that as being the reason why it’s in the first person. I’m fine with that.

It’s the past tense part that I don’t like. It sounds like they want you to feel like you’re telling a story to someone after the events have occurred, which doesn’t really appeal to me at the moment. Makes it sound like you can’t fail.

Maybe you are hearing the narrative from the standpoint of an extraplaner being in one of the outer planes:

"Did I ever tell you the story of how I died?"

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases