D&D (2024) Baldur's Gate 3 influence on One D&D?

I think I remember it being mentioned that some things that came up while working on Baldur's Gate 3 might be changes they're looking to bring into One D&D. Any thoughts on what they might be?

I think I remember it being mentioned that some things that came up while working on Baldur's Gate 3 might be changes they're looking to bring into One D&D. Any thoughts on what they might be?
Having played BG3 extensively fairly recently (they added Bards okay!), I haven't seen anything yet in the playtest which reflects the peculiarities of the BG3 approach to D&D, and a lot of stuff which contradicts BGs.

For example, in BG3, both Jump and Shove are Bonus Actions, which is different from 5E. But in 1D&D, Jump is a full Action (!!!) and Shove is still part of an attack.

BG3 doesn't limit spellcasting at all on Bonus Actions - you can cast two Cantrips in a round, or two full spells, if you have a way to cast one of them as a Bonus Action. Or more than two if you can get multiple Bonus Actions, which is a lot easier to do in BG3 (no sign of that in 1D&D).

Familiars are a lot more badass in BG3, and have proper attacks and so on. No sign of that yet.

BG3 is generally more lax re concentration with spells that you "re-apply" (Hex, for example), making it so it doesn't check Concentration when you're waiting to re-apply them, only when they're applied. Hunter's Mark doesn't require Concentration for Rangers in 1D&D so that's a little similar but not very.

BG3 lets you use Inspiration as re-rolls. This playtest kinda does that, but only if you make the re-roll "immediately", so before you know if you succeeded or failed. BG3 lets you do it after you find out the result (indeed you can't do it before!). I suspect if 1D&D has ANY DAMN SENSE they will follow suit here, because the "immediately" timing is an unnecessary PITA.

BG3 makes Inspiration entirely from your background and makes it shared among party members as a pool. No sign of either in 1D&D.

BG3 goes in the OPPOSITE direction with Reactions to 1D&D. In BG3, very little is a Reaction, even stuff that is in 5E. For example. Cutting Words in BG3 is not a Reaction, and is insanely powerful, because it applies to EVERY ROLL the person makes until their next turn (!!!!!!!!).

In BG3 Disengage is a Bonus Action - not yet the case in 1D&D.

I could go on but I just can't think of anything that's gone from BG3 to 1D&D yet. I hope the approach to Inspiration does.

Weiley31

Legend
Having played BG3 extensively fairly recently (they added Bards okay!), I haven't seen anything yet in the playtest which reflects the peculiarities of the BG3 approach to D&D, and a lot of stuff which contradicts BGs.

For example, in BG3, both Jump and Shove are Bonus Actions, which is different from 5E. But in 1D&D, Jump is a full Action (!!!) and Shove is still part of an attack.

BG3 doesn't limit spellcasting at all on Bonus Actions - you can cast two Cantrips in a round, or two full spells, if you have a way to cast one of them as a Bonus Action. Or more than two if you can get multiple Bonus Actions, which is a lot easier to do in BG3 (no sign of that in 1D&D).

Familiars are a lot more badass in BG3, and have proper attacks and so on. No sign of that yet.

BG3 is generally more lax re concentration with spells that you "re-apply" (Hex, for example), making it so it doesn't check Concentration when you're waiting to re-apply them, only when they're applied. Hunter's Mark doesn't require Concentration for Rangers in 1D&D so that's a little similar but not very.

BG3 lets you use Inspiration as re-rolls. This playtest kinda does that, but only if you make the re-roll "immediately", so before you know if you succeeded or failed. BG3 lets you do it after you find out the result (indeed you can't do it before!). I suspect if 1D&D has ANY DAMN SENSE they will follow suit here, because the "immediately" timing is an unnecessary PITA.

BG3 makes Inspiration entirely from your background and makes it shared among party members as a pool. No sign of either in 1D&D.

BG3 goes in the OPPOSITE direction with Reactions to 1D&D. In BG3, very little is a Reaction, even stuff that is in 5E. For example. Cutting Words in BG3 is not a Reaction, and is insanely powerful, because it applies to EVERY ROLL the person makes until their next turn (!!!!!!!!).

In BG3 Disengage is a Bonus Action - not yet the case in 1D&D.

I could go on but I just can't think of anything that's gone from BG3 to 1D&D yet. I hope the approach to Inspiration does.
I actually LOVE a number of things BG3 "added/altered" for their take on the 5E rules.

I actually LOVE a number of things BG3 "added/altered" for their take on the 5E rules.
I like most of them, but there are a few which are extremely annoying. If I was playing the game at the moment I could remember which those were, but I can't at this moment.

Oh I guess one is "Basically every random jerk on the planet has magical arrows and hand grenades that put fire/poison/acid everywhere". BAD LARIAN, BAD!

I like most of them, but there are a few which are extremely annoying. If I was playing the game at the moment I could remember which those were, but I can't at this moment.

Oh I guess one is "Basically every random jerk on the planet has magical arrows and hand grenades that put fire/poison/acid everywhere". BAD LARIAN, BAD!

I like most of them, with notable exceptions of not putting proper reactions in the game like Solasta has and that Beastmasters animal companion is a spell that is not compatible with Familiars.

Remove ads