• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Baldur's Gate 3 will now be releasing August 3rd on PC and September 6th on PS5, increased level cap, race & class details and more

Scribe

Legend
I honestly felt like I was driving around a car full of particularly dim and extremely drunk teenagers who mostly hated each others guts (with a party with various characters in it, not really good or evil).

Well yes. Perhaps my tolerance for low brow behavior is just high...or its been awhile since I've played through it. :D

Well yes. Perhaps my tolerance for low brow behavior is just high...or its been awhile since I've played through it. :D
That's a good thing! Means more joy in your life. Like being a lightweight at drinking - you get the same buzz for way less money and liver problems. :D

fba827

Adventurer
Anyone try multiplayer in bg3 much?
I fiddled around a little and from what it seems you can have others join with their own unique PCs or take over one of your companions for more drop-in/drop-out. Also of note for multiplayer it’s not cross-system so others you want to play with need to be on the same system.

They where claiming crossplay between systems.
I don't think they did, did they?

They have crossplay, but it's between the different PC platforms - Steam, GoG, Epic.

Also to be completely honest, I don't really want crossplay with PS5, at least in the first few months. Why would say such a mean thing? Because crossplay means you have to patch at the schedule of the PS5 - which is to say, extremely slowly. Every single patch has to go through Sony's certification process, and whilst people are way better at it now than they were say, 5 years ago, that's still a potential delay of a week or more on every single patch.

Whereas if that's not going on, some PC games are patched multiple times in a week.

And with an RPG this size? It's likely to be several months of the game needing a lot of patches. On top of that, the PS5 version isn't out until September and the Xbox version isn't out until an unknown date, so I hope they do eventually do cross-platform crossplay, but it can wait.

Yeah, I have no illusions about how many patches the game is going to need. Certainly it should be far more stable than an Owlcat launch, but the sheer quantity of content and resulting conflicts will have them patching for months.

Just the way it goes with AAA these days, and this is more complex than most.

When something does break, I'll just think that the bug situation could always be worse - it could be Starfield.

Speaking of worse... despite Dragonborn being one of the weakest races in tabletop, their single-use breath now recharges only on a long rest (instead of short). And Monks don't have Slow Fall, but instead, resistance to falling damage...

When something does break, I'll just think that the bug situation could always be worse - it could be Starfield.
It'll be interesting to see what state Starfield is in, and whether Bethesda makes any real effort to fix it this time.

With Skyrim and Fallout 4, they didn't. They patched out stuff which broke the critical path on the main quest, but then left in an insane number of bugs most companies would regard as extremely important to fix, and just sort of wandered off. With the Skyrim SE they randomly fixed some other bugs no-one thought they'd ever fix, but they definitely weren't fixing the most critical ones.

Fallout 4 launched in a much, much better state, bug-wise, than Skyrim though. Even though it had some of the same hilarious bugs every game since Oblivion has reintroduced and then separately fixed. Fallout 76 had some of those too, amazingly. But FO76, because it's online and a continuing income stream, Bethesda has actually made some effort to fix.

Starfield's pre-press has been weird, like they're hyping it into the sky in terms of what it's going to be, but then literally everything they're showing on screen just look like Fallout 4 but in space and with a Nasapunk vibe. The mechanics, the gameplay/traversal, the animations, the combat, and so on. I guess the dialogue looks more like Fallout 3 which is an improvement (Fallout 4's dialogue options were usually Yes, Yes but Sarcastic, No but Actually Yes, and Tell Me More (but also Yes), whereas Fallout 3 wasn't great but had something more like actual dialogue). I doubt bugs will impact it as much because so few people will be trying to actually finish the main quest, do companion quests, and so on - like 50%+ of the people playing Starfield will just be going to some procedurally generated planet, shooting some procedurally generated space pirates, and being amazed because this planet's sky was a kind of purple colour, where the previous planet it was kind of dark ruby.

Remove ads