Baldurs Gate 3

jsaving

Adventurer
With Stadia you basically use their hardware to run games and then see the result streamed to your monitor/device. So yes, it is actually designed let you play games your hardware isn't able to handle.

Li Shenron

Legend
I haven't really played a videogame in ages, but I've been very interested in BG3 since last winter's previews.

Those of you who are playing it with Stadia, what kind of internet connection speed do you have and how does the game hold up with it?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It's my first time with Stadia. Basically, if you can stream a YouTube video, I imagine you can stream a game? They're just streaming the image to you.

For me, it stutters occasionally and it's not as hi-res as I'm used to seeing in games, but it works fine. And needed no downloading or installation. Very convenient.

The selection of games on Stadia seems pretty small though.

MarkB

Legend
Yes... It will run on basically anything iPhone, iPad, andriod phone/tablet, mac or pc of any quality as long as you can run the chrome browser. it should work. The game itself is running on servers in google's farm and streaming to you.
Another nice aspect is that you don't need to install anything. You can be playing the game within a few seconds of buying it, instead of several hours.

MarkB

Legend
Those of you who are playing it with Stadia, what kind of internet connection speed do you have and how does the game hold up with it?
I have standard broadband, and the game runs pretty much like streaming a high definition movie. There's no perceptible lack of responsiveness to the controls, but if things get particularly 'busy' - particularly if there's a visually complex spell effect - then there can be video compresssion artifacts as a result. And it's generally not right up at the maximum resolution I'd be able to achieve if I were playing the game locally.

Li Shenron

Legend
I have standard broadband, and the game runs pretty much like streaming a high definition movie. There's no perceptible lack of responsiveness to the controls, but if things get particularly 'busy' - particularly if there's a visually complex spell effect - then there can be video compresssion artifacts as a result. And it's generally not right up at the maximum resolution I'd be able to achieve if I were playing the game locally.
Yes I certainly don't expect too much in terms of resolution. By standard broadband do you mean 10 Mbps or 50 Mbps? According to Stadia website, you can get 720p resolution at 10 Mbps but it actually still works.

MarkB

Legend
Yes I certainly don't expect too much in terms of resolution. By standard broadband do you mean 10 Mbps or 50 Mbps? According to Stadia website, you can get 720p resolution at 10 Mbps but it actually still works.
10Mbps. And that sounds about right for the resolution I'm getting.

Ixal

Hero
Sorry for the necro, but I didn't want to make a new thread about it.

For those who play the EA or at least follow it, what is your opinion of the current state and direction of the game? For those who don't know the game is very liberal with its use of the D&D rules which has drawn criticism, centred especially in the official Forum.
The main thing players complain about is that the changes Larian made render the D&D system useless and destroy balance. That includes for example giving every class a disengage as bonus action, give out advantage when you are standing higher (and disadvantage when you attack upward) than the enemy or attack his back (with there not being anything to prevent you to simply walk around or jump over an enemy) which makes advantage a very common occurance and devalues spells that give advantage.
This is in addition to what is now called Larian cheese with a high focus on "creative" solutions to combat like pushing enemies down holes or being able to heal by eating food in combat as a bonus action. Larian does seem to be very fond of such things which makes normal D&D style combat the exception and not very well supported but so far its impossible to say how much of the gimmicks will stay and how many are just holdovers from the Original Sin engine which will get removed later.

CapnZapp

Legend
I can't fault Larian for incorporating terrain into the combat engine.

I think expecting 100% fidelity to the tabletop rules is unrealistic and misguided.

That doesn't mean I defend cheese. Just that theresulting balance point likely will diverge from the ttrpg rules - a build that rocks in your home game might be weak in the crpg and vice versa.

MarkB

Legend
Sorry for the necro, but I didn't want to make a new thread about it.

For those who play the EA or at least follow it, what is your opinion of the current state and direction of the game? For those who don't know the game is very liberal with its use of the D&D rules which has drawn criticism, centred especially in the official Forum.
The main thing players complain about is that the changes Larian made render the D&D system useless and destroy balance. That includes for example giving every class a disengage as bonus action, give out advantage when you are standing higher (and disadvantage when you attack upward) than the enemy or attack his back (with there not being anything to prevent you to simply walk around or jump over an enemy) which makes advantage a very common occurance and devalues spells that give advantage.
This is in addition to what is now called Larian cheese with a high focus on "creative" solutions to combat like pushing enemies down holes or being able to heal by eating food in combat as a bonus action. Larian does seem to be very fond of such things which makes normal D&D style combat the exception and not very well supported but so far its impossible to say how much of the gimmicks will stay and how many are just holdovers from the Original Sin engine which will get removed later.
I find it hard to fault them for allowing for more creative, terrain or environment based solutions in combat. One of the main criticisms of CRPGs compared to tabletop games is that they don't allow you to think outside the box and attempt things other than the standard spells and attacks on your character sheet.

But it's been awhile since I last played, and I don't know how well they're doing at making these options balanced.

Remove ads