D&D 5E Baldur's Gate III - *LIVE* Panel From Hell II

The movement system is an absolute joke, for 2021 game design. The original baldur's gate did it better. With ZERO exaggeration. It is factually better than what this game does. This was even proven on the panel if you watched it, as the CEO commented 'viewers are probably bored' as he attempted to navigate his games own poor system of controls, and camera.
I may or may not agree with the other things you said, and I'm glad to let things go as simply a matter of opinion, but you know that's not true or are remembering BG1 with severely rose-tinted glasses. In either case, go the Firewine Ruins unmodded and unpatched and re-experience all the "fun" of BG1 movement as your characters wander off aimlessly trying to get around each other and set off innumerable traps and pull dozens of fire-arrow shooting kobolds. And that's just an extreme example of the disasters that could unfold in enclosed areas and BG1's laughable pathing. Bluntly, BG1 pathing was so notoriously bad it was a meme before memes were even a thing. BG3's movement may have some fairly minor issues, but it's not anywhere near the disaster of the original BG1 movement...

Scribe

Legend
I literally played through BG1 2 weeks ago.

The movement is absolutely better than BG3. Without question. Pathing in a cramped and narrow dungeon, yes, that did suck if you didnt scout it with your rogue.

There is absolutely nothing redeemable about BG3's movement system. At least the party will (sometimes) jump over a bridge now though right?

I literally played through BG1 2 weeks ago.

The movement is absolutely better than BG3. Without question. Pathing in a cramped and narrow dungeon, yes, that did suck if you didnt scout it with your rogue.

There is absolutely nothing redeemable about BG3's movement system. At least the party will (sometimes) jump over a bridge now though right?
I too played BG1 not much longer ago than you did, and no, the movement there is absolutely NOT better than BG3 "without question." For that matter even BG2 has some frustrating pathing problems.

Scribe

Legend
I too played BG1 not much longer ago than you did, and no, the movement there is absolutely NOT better than BG3 "without question." For that matter even BG2 has some frustrating pathing problems.
Never once, and I've been playing BG for 20 damn years have I been as frustrated with movement, not simply pathing but the mechanisms around the whole system of moving your party, selecting it, getting it set up around an encounter, as I have with BG3.

I stand by what I said. BG3 is worse than 1 and 2 in movement, and if it's even close, that's still a joke, it's been 20 years!

Never once, and I've been playing BG for 20 damn years have I been as frustrated with movement, not simply pathing but the mechanisms around the whole system of moving your party, selecting it, getting it set up around an encounter, as I have with BG3.
OK, good for you? That doesn't match my experience with either game in question, so to say that BG1 movement is "factually" better than BG3 is pretentious.

Scribe

Legend
OK, good for you? That doesn't match my experience with either game in question, so to say that BG1 movement is "factually" better than BG3 is pretentious.
I have zero issue with your belief in my being pretentious.

It won't change how terrible the movement systems of BG3 are.

Have fun with the druid.

It's not pretentious, its just disingenuous and false. BG1 was a great game, but even the current heavily patched version has horrible pathfinding - although poor map design is a contributing factor. The gnoll castle being the worst offender IMO, since even if you "scout with a rogue" you will be swarmed by randomly spawning enemies whilst trying to manoeuvre on the narrow stairways.

Scribe

Legend
I've clearly played it far to much, to ever be swarmed in the gnoll ruins.

Besides, path finding is not the end all of movement.

If you all have played BG3 and enjoy the movement controls, great.

I absolutely feel it's worse than BG 1 2, and pretty much any other RPG I can think of, in regards to movement.

All they really need to do from here is make all jumping during exploration automatic based on your Athletics check, and they'll eliminate my last major gripe about movement.

Larian took to calling this "loaded dice" and brainstormed that players should perhaps be able to calibrate just how "loaded" they are, though I've no idea if that level of fine-tuning is implemented yet.
I'd also suggest Larian should allow you to toggle what loaded dice affects. Like if you want it to affect ability checks but not attack rolls or saving throws, for example.

Remove ads