• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bane Weapons & Damage Resistance

njorgard

First Post
Can a bane weapon overcome damage resistance? For example, can a longsword +1, Bane vs. evil outsiders overcome the DR 10/good of a vrock?

- Njorgard

hong

WotC's bitch
Nope. Weird, huh?

Well, it can, in a way -- it does 2d6+2 points extra damage, which should roughly be enough to cancel out the vrock's DR on average.

Jeff Wilder

First Post
Although Hong's answer was correct -- though I'm not sure where the "+2" part came in -- I'm not sure it was entirely clear.

The Evilbane special ability won't bypass "*/good" DR, but the extra 2D6 of damage does count toward overcoming it.

Jeff

Deadguy

First Post
wilder_jw said:
Although Hong's answer was correct -- though I'm not sure where the "+2" part came in -- I'm not sure it was entirely clear.
A Bane weapon is considered to be an extra +2 to attack and damage against the object of its Bane power, so it does +2d6+2 points more damage than normal. An aerage of 9 points, which is just about enough to overcome a DR of 10.

Bane perhaps needs recasting in light of the Damage Resistance changes.

njorgard

First Post
Thanks for the answers!!!! It does seem silly to me, however, that a weapon specifically made to combat a particular type of creature is not able to overcome that creature's damage resistance. In my mind, it is like making a rubber bullet. I might be inclined to house rule this one...

the Jester

Legend
njorgard said:
Thanks for the answers!!!! It does seem silly to me, however, that a weapon specifically made to combat a particular type of creature is not able to overcome that creature's damage resistance. In my mind, it is like making a rubber bullet. I might be inclined to house rule this one...

I'd say the odds are good that a weapon specifically made to combat a particular type of creature would be made of the material needed to bypass its DR. In other words, prolly most demonbane weapons are good, cold iron or both.

MorganKiller

First Post
Yep...
It's a bit confusing trying to create a true "evil-outsider" bane weapon!
Some are weak against good, others against silver and others cold iron.
Mmmm...

:D

It's a luck I'm a DM!

Kae'Yoss

First Post
MorganKiller said:
Yep...
It's a bit confusing trying to create a true "evil-outsider" bane weapon!
Some are weak against good, others against silver and others cold iron.
Mmmm...

There are two ways to do it:

1.: Get a cold iron weapon and silversheen
2.: Get that metalline (?) enhancement from Underdark, which makes you change the weapon's material.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads