D&D 5E Barding for War Dogs; 6000gp for Plate Barding???

Oofta

Legend
I remember when I worked in the pet industry hearing that adult, active dogs can carry no more than 25% of their weight without risking injury. In my mind, it's pushing things to even consider having a fully armored Halfling on a dog for any period of time, and then to add plate armor as well? That seems... unlikely.
But hey, I'm no expert and more importantly, it's a fantasy game, have fun! :)
Dogs wearing armor has a long history. In fact some still wear it today:
330px-Working_dog_in_Afghanistan,_wearing_a_bulletproof_vest,_being_trained-hires.jpg

Riding a dog is a different story, their spines aren't made for it. Then again we're talking halflings and gnomes so maybe?

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
When we were kids (2- 5) we use to ride our dads hunting dogs, though admittedly we werent wearing armour or going long distances. But we can assume 30 odd lbs (which sorta confirms your 25% measure for a 120lb dog)

an English mastiff can go 200 - 230lbs which would allow a weight of 50 - 60lbs - the average Halfling is 40 lb (plus 20lb armour)

the largest known dog weighed 357 lb - which allows a rider of 90 lbs = two halflings. We should probably assume that in a world where riding dogs is common, they are deliberately bred to be larger and stronger to accomodate

Now I know that today pets are beloved, but ... people were a bit utilitarian back then. Would it make sense to pay 6000 gp to armor up an animal that cost a small fraction of it?
Even someone who doesn't care about the life of their mount can care about not having their mount shot out from under them mid-battle, tournament, whatever. This goes double for the adventurer who often has a long walk back to civilization.

And it's not just armor for one dog, it's armor for all the dogs that (unless it is a beastmaster companion, a sidekick-classed dog, or otherwise gaining hp as you level up, or else has the divine protection of a DM unwilling to kill your dog) will inevitably replace it when it dies.

Dave Goff

Explorer
Dogs wearing armor has a long history. In fact some still wear it today:
View attachment 263207

Riding a dog is a different story, their spines aren't made for it. Then again we're talking halflings and gnomes so maybe?
Well, sure, but that doesn't look like heavy plate and there's no rider. :)
But like I said, I'm definitely no expert and haven't really looked into it.

Remove ads