D&D 5E Barding for War Dogs; 6000gp for Plate Barding???

Oofta

Legend
Well, sure, but that doesn't look like heavy plate and there's no rider. :)
But like I said, I'm definitely no expert and haven't really looked into it.
If I wanted more realistic I'd limit armor to medium, hard to imagine being able to put plate on a dog. Historically they wore padded armor (which was quite common for people as well) and may have worn chain as well. This one? Scale mail perhaps?
main-qimg-8b4e524daaeee5880e86dda0333adfe0-lq.jpg

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
I keep threatening my wife that my next PC is going to have a dog that knows one trick. Fetch. I'm going to call them all "Trap Finder".
Animals are a key element in my world. It basically exists because I lost my first dog and wanted to continue to explore the way people bond with dogs and other pets.

My retrievers have an ability called Fetch. It means you never run out of ammunition.

Dave Goff

Explorer
If I wanted more realistic I'd limit armor to medium, hard to imagine being able to put plate on a dog. Historically they wore padded armor (which was quite common for people as well) and may have worn chain as well. This one? Scale mail perhaps?
View attachment 263253
Yeah, that seems more reasonable to me.
Also, I wonder if the armor could be engineered in some way that it actually supports the back and makes having a rider less of a burden on the spine.
I now have head cannon about a Dwarven smith, a Gnomish artificer and a Halfling paladin starting a business of specially engineered and designed dog armors.

Reynard

Legend
Also, I wonder if the armor could be engineered in some way that it actually supports the back and makes having a rider less of a burden on the spine.
I now have head cannon about a Dwarven smith, a Gnomish artificer and a Halfling paladin starting a business of specially engineered and designed dog armors.
Riding dogs can be a thing if you are talking about specific breeds developed for it, along with appropriate equipment. The real question is how would you fight on such a mount while it was attacking? Have you ever seen a dog attack a person or animal? Not conducive to rider comfort or ability to fight.

Oofta

Legend
Hmm, somehow it seems like the artificer would want something that looks like this
download (3).jpg

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases