D&D 5E Barding for War Dogs; 6000gp for Plate Barding???

Shiroiken

Legend
Now I know that today pets are beloved, but ... people were a bit utilitarian back then. Would it make sense to pay 6000 gp to armor up an animal that cost a small fraction of it?
Because having your mount die under you sucks. Not only are you gonna fall, but there'd be a chance you'd be pinned by the corpse. Survival probability drops considerably for dismounted cavalry, which is why infantry tries to dismount a rider, instead of killing them first.

You'll have to use an action to command each of them
"Chopper, sic balls!"

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
The rules state that "barding is four times that of similar armor for humanoids". Period. But what about for a dog? While I agree that it would take considerable time to craft such armor, the materials needed would be considerably less than that for a medium humanoid. Yes, it might be difficult to find someone willing to do such an armor in small or medium towns, but any large city or castle would probably have an armorer who makes such for the dogs of the Lord or City. Regardless, the 4x multiplier for all barding seems to be a simplistic rule, specifically for horses. Otherwise, Barding for an elephant would be the same as for a horse. Thoughts?
I’d just make it cost the same as for a humanoid, tbh.

The rules state that "barding is four times that of similar armor for humanoids". Period. But what about for a dog? While I agree that it would take considerable time to craft such armor, the materials needed would be considerably less than that for a medium humanoid. Yes, it might be difficult to find someone willing to do such an armor in small or medium towns, but any large city or castle would probably have an armorer who makes such for the dogs of the Lord or City. Regardless, the 4x multiplier for all barding seems to be a simplistic rule, specifically for horses. Otherwise, Barding for an elephant would be the same as for a horse. Thoughts?
The cost of the materials for Plate armour are only a very small fraction of the cost of the armour. The armourers who will be making it will probably be used to fitting specific patterns to a humanoid, and will have to create completely new pieces designed for that particular dog. Add to that the difficulties of attaching close-fitting armour to a creature with fur, and it is not surprising that it costs considerably more.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
The cost of the materials for Plate armour are only a very small fraction of the cost of the armour. The armourers who will be making it will probably be used to fitting specific patterns to a humanoid, and will have to create completely new pieces designed for that particular dog. Add to that the difficulties of attaching close-fitting armour to a creature with fur, and it is not surprising that it costs considerably more.
That's why you should hire an awakened dog blacksmith!

Now I know that today pets are beloved, but ... people were a bit utilitarian back then. Would it make sense to pay 6000 gp to armor up an animal that cost a small fraction of it?

(... why can't I find the price for a war dog in the phb?)

"I am in tears, while carrying you to your last resting place as much as I rejoiced when bringing you home with my own hands 15 years ago."

Ixal

Hero
287307611_2153573041483101_2534190292645210005_n.jpg
Late to the party...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases