Basic D&D

Haven’t played a BECMI game in ages, but I still look through my old copies, reminiscing about when the hobby was new to me, gaming outside on the grass in the summertime.

I will always have a soft spot for race-as-class. I still think that the Red Box is probably the most solid product TSR ever put out. From the artwork to the writing, it was all so perfectly designed to capture people’s imagination and entice them into playing the game.

KenNYC

Explorer
OD&D has a lot of design elements of true merit, easy to understand and that keep the game moving. As I recall initiative was just highest dex went first, so simple. Also, almost all the attacks doing 1d6 of damage is limiting but also liberating in that you can decide your character and their weapon of choice without worry of not designing to your best option. It allows you to design a character as you want him or her to be. I haven't played in over 35 years--since we hit third level and switched to 1e--but I imagine a solid campaign could be had in a game with basically no rules.

pemerton

Legend
BECMI adventures are compatible enough with AD&D.
X2 predates BECMI - it's for Cook/Marsh Expert - but yes, the basic elements of the system (PC builds and monster builds) are very similar. Which is no surprise, since they're different ways of codifying original D&D.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I used Basic / BECMI to introduce my son to D&D. I created a one-shot based on a Zelda dungeon. He had 4 characters - Cleric, Fighter, Elf (Wizard plus longbow), Thief.
The BBEG was a skeleton-dragon (of my own design) whose breath weapon was a string of knuckle bones.

He had a blast.

P.S. The cleric with +1 Armor and a +1 Mace did as much to that beast as all three other characters put together.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I used Basic / BECMI to introduce my son to D&D. I created a one-shot based on a Zelda dungeon. He had 4 characters - Cleric, Fighter, Elf (Wizard plus longbow), Thief.
The BBEG was a skeleton-dragon (of my own design) whose breath weapon was a string of knuckle bones.

He had a blast.

P.S. The cleric with +1 Armor and a +1 Mace did as much to that beast as all three other characters put together.

That dragon must have bitten off a LOT of fingers.

"And THAT, son, is why I keep telling to not stick your fingers in animal cages."

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
The B/X rules get a fair bit of use in my Swords and Wizardry game. Morale, encounter reaction, lifting items and monsters. I know I could have a fun game with them but there are better options for me. These days a simple game of D&D is what I want, not complexity. Quick and keep the focus on the player and not the character sheet and B/X is just fine for that.

Remove ads