D&D 5E Bastard Sword Idea

What if I added to the special: "Cannot be combined with GWF while wielded with one hand"? Or perhaps increased the STR requirement to 18 or 20 so it may require a few levels to obtain? (note "may")
That would still make it as good as a greataxe, with the option of using a shield for a bit less damage. Other than GWF and Small races, does the Heavy property actually do much?

My point is that longsword is boring imo and 3.0 had the same properties I propose (more or less)
The 5e Longsword covers everything from knightly swords, through 3e bastard swords, to some of the smaller historical longswords. - What do not like about them, and what would you wish to change?

There have been several threads here about making 5e weapons more complex, or converting them to some form of "points-buy" system. You could take a look at those for inspiration.
My group have some issues with 5e weapons and armour that we've houseruled over, but longswords have never really been an issue for me.

So just stick with 5e's giant list of homogenization? I do not wish to come across as crass, it just seems like there is little flavor in the current weapons and armor with nothing truly unique.
The 5e table covers pretty much any weapon commonly found, with choices generally mechanically even. Players can decide what weapon they want their characters to use based on character concept rather than what weapon gives the required mechanical benefits.

Hillsy7

First Post
I made a "Create your own weapon" system based off what rules were sort of present in the PHB weapons table, so you could build any concept while keeping it balanced....
How to Homebrew any Weapon Concept

In it I have an alternate Heavy property rule whereby you can't make offhand weapon attacks, benefit from Dueling, or make opportunity attacks when using one hand. You might find it useful....

G

Guest 6801328

The problem is that your change just makes for a flat-out better weapon. Nobody who could wield a longsword to any effect wouldn't wield your weapon.

Yes, that's the problem.

The OP calls the longsword "boring" but he apparently means "not powerful enough".

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Instead of making overpowered stats for the bastard sword, rename the current longsword "bastard sword", and maybe create a new longsword that does 2d4 damage and isn't versatile.

Last edited:

Kalshane

First Post
As others have said, the 5E longsword is a bastard sword (which brings it more inline with the historical definition of longsword.) What the game is actually missing now is an arming or knightly sword (ie. a single-handed slashing sword) that previous editions of the game incorrectly dubbed a "longsword."

Irda Ranger

First Post
Forgive me if this is dredging up an old topic, I didn't see another thus far so I wanted to see if this would be a plausible idea for the traditional bastard sword.

Easier solution: rename the "Long sword" the "Bastard Sword".

The D&D naming conventions have drifted considerably from the historical ones. What history called the long sword, D&D called the two-handed sword. What D&D calls the long sword, history called the bastard sword.

Interestingly, one of the most common swords in history (the arming sword, or Viking sword) has no D&D equivalent in 5E. That's why on my homebrew equipment list I have replaced the Rapier with the Broadsword, but otherwise retained its mechanical properties.

My rapier does d10 damage and has Reach, but suffers Disadvantage versus opponents in Medium or Heavy armor.

G

Guest 6801328

Easier solution: rename the "Long sword" the "Bastard Sword".

The D&D naming conventions have drifted considerably from the historical ones. What history called the long sword, D&D called the two-handed sword. What D&D calls the long sword, history called the bastard sword.

Interestingly, one of the most common swords in history (the arming sword, or Viking sword) has no D&D equivalent in 5E. That's why on my homebrew equipment list I have replaced the Rapier with the Broadsword, but otherwise retained its mechanical properties.

My rapier does d10 damage and has Reach, but suffers Disadvantage versus opponents in Medium or Heavy armor.

I went the other way and eliminated the Rapier from my game. I'm opposed to any Finesse weapon doing more than 1d6. Dexterity is too much of a God stat.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
Forgive me if this is dredging up an old topic, I didn't see another thus far so I wanted to see if this would be a plausible idea for the traditional bastard sword.

1d10 / Slashing / Heavy, Special, Versatile (1d12)

Special: STR 15 required to use one-handed, else attacks are made at a Disadvantage. You are not at a Disadvantage when using the Versatile property while below the STR requirement. The weapon is still considered Heavy, regardless of STR.

I loved the idea of wielding the sword one-handed (see: Aragorn) back in 3.0/3.5 and was disappointed when I found it "missing" in 5e (I believe the Longsword versatility was supposed to be a nod toward this). While we no longer possess official exotic weapons or exotic weapon proficiency I believed a STR requirement would fulfill the gap nicely and I hope to find a consensus.

Thoughts or Criticism?

I'm confused. The historical longsword has the longer, two-handed grip compared to the 'bastard sword' / hand-and-a-half sword, so it should have the higher damage due to the possibility of achieving greater purchase with it. I believe both are represented by the 5e longsword.

If you wanted to represent the bastard sword as a separate weapon, you could either bump the longsword's damage up to say 1d10/1d12 (which I'm not crazy about), and use the current longsword mechanics for the bastard sword, or you could represent two-handed usage of the bastard sword by a special property such as a minor bonus to hit or damage when you grip the pommel. You already have the rapier doing 1d8 with one-handed usage, so there just isn't the design space to include a versatile sword that does less damage than the longsword.

Lost Soul

First Post
Just buff up longsword damage to 1d10(1d12 versatile). No reason that longsword and rapier have same damage.

I actually like this idea as it gives sword & board plus two weapon characters a reason to invest in strength instead of dex. So tired of dex & wisdom being the God stats of D&D. Strength needs to reclaim its rightful place as the go to stat for heavy hitting martial characters!:)

Remove ads